View Poll Results: Do you feel betrayed?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I feel betrayed by merchants

5 9.62%
  • Yes, I feel betrayed by networks

5 9.62%
  • Yes, I feel betrayed by both

37 71.15%
  • No, I don't feel betrayed at all

5 9.62%
    Question for affiliates: Do you feel betrayed by the re-admittance of Morpheus into networks and merchant programs?

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

ABW Ambassador
    They should of Banned them. Period. Yes it's hard to let them back in, and so what it should be.

They should be required to start up a new company go through hassel to become part of the network again. Maybe if they had some expenses coming out of their stolen money, they maybe would of learned a thing or two, but no, they weren't required to pay any sort of penelty.

------------------------------------------------------------Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open. Thomas Dewar

15 years and counting
    YES, big time. Shame on them, shame on the merchants and networks supporting them.
    Does't not pay to be nice with thieves. They are just taking advantage of us. Let us tell them our feeling. morpheus

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Look ... it isn't the merchants fault! Back in the end of May they were judged to be clean, August they were smart @$$es and decided to do the slider, much to all's surprise. You can't blame a merchant for this, nor specifically networks for this, only Wurld themselves for their conniving impetus. The goal here is bigger than b!tching about parasiteware one by one but achieving an accordance with the networks and informing the merchants of who is who of the Dupers. Lets focus on the result not the first rung on the ladder!

That light at the end of the tunnel is NOT an on coming train for us ... it is reality breaking into the industry ... things of this magnitude take time, and we all are working on it.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I can certainly blame the merchants for their lack of moral turpitude. If it looks like s*** and it smells like s***, is it really necessary to step in it?

If you try to please everybody, someone won't like it -Rumsfeld

ABW Ambassador
    Right on Elbowcreek,

Yes it is the merchants' fault. This issue would over and done with but for merchants allowing the scum back in. I for one don't buy the BS being shoveled that "we didn't know." That's crap, they know it and I know it.

If steals soemthing from your house, you certainly don't invite back over for supper.

Mike

Don't Worry Mama, It Won't Get Freaky!

Above our heights, there are politics going on to advantage Morpheus and others. Fairness isn't a law within capitalist economy. Politics decide on who gets how much of the pie.

You either break in to the politics of it, or you drop your nukes. There's no other choice.

I don't feel betrayed by anyone.

- BluesX

---------------
    Affiliate Marketing is built upon honesty. Tracking is not affected.

BluesX:

How would you suggest dealing with Morpheus?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BluesX:
    Above our heights, there are politics going on to advantage Morpheus and others. Fairness isn't a law within capitalist economy. Politics decide on who gets how much of the pie.

You either break in to the politics of it, or you drop your nukes. There's no other choice.

I don't feel betrayed by anyone.

- BluesX

---------------
    Affiliate Marketing is built upon honesty. Tracking is not affected.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

=================
    Profound statement HERE.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BluesX:
    >How would you suggest dealing with Morpheus?

We are way beyond the suggestion phase, don't you think?

The issue is probably within Federal Govt's jurisdiction, so to get ANY results at all, at least a supreme court order is needed.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or we could promote AdAware on every affiliate site out there.

-- Less is more --

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Look ... it isn't the merchants fault! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like it isn't an employers fault if they get ripped off after re-hiring somebody who was previously fired for skimming the register.

AS SEEN ON SE!!!

As they say....

Fool me once shame on you
    Fool me twice shame on Me

None of these merchants who allowed them back in will remain on my site. I'm in the process of completely removing them now.

Feel free to support Tiger and the other merchants who allowed them back Haiko, I for one can not do so. I still feel it was the merchants responsibility to protect their other affiliates from the likes of morpheus by not giving them the 2nd shot. Like many others here I pushed these merchants on my sites because of their stance on parasites - by letting them back in they destroyed any trust I had in their programs.

Will I still advertise for merchants that are associated with parasites like Amazon - probably - but at least I'm aware of the situation going in and not being hit blindsided by a merchant that took a stand against parasiteware only to let the scum back in again. At least with Amazon I still convert 1 in 25 - with the others I'm lucky to convert 1 in 300.

Heidi
    Fit2a-t: The Center of the T-shirt Universe!

15 years and counting
    If we don't comply to the merchants or networks rules, we'll be deactivated in no time with no chance to come back. Why is morpheus getting first class treatment? MONEY, stolen from thousand of affiliates.
    First, I'm mad because we are not treated all the same way. Money, is not that important for me. Fairness is.
    I don't blame you, Haiko, I know you have been doing a lot for us. You gave them a chance and they took advantage of you.
    How many merchants are going to deactivate them for real? How many are still thinking they are OK?

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Look ... it isn't the merchants fault! Back in the end of May they were judged to be clean, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No no no no

A crook is a crook is a crook.

The merchants never lost one red cent due to us having our links hijacked. Therefore they should not be the ones to determine if they are clean. The fact that it was and is our money being stolen means the merchants shouldn't have any right to decide if it's suddenly okay now to accept this money because we are the victims not the merchants.

I completely understand the desire to accept morpheus as an affiliate partner because of their huge market. Their money talks and bs walks and we are the bs according to most merchants. Even if not publically stated.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
    - Thomas Jefferson

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The merchants never lost one red cent due to us having our links hijacked. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Every time I look at my reports and see a click with no sale, I wonder.

- Did Morpheus or Gator nab it?

- Is it being tracked properly by the "trusted third party"?

- Or was it just a site visitor not ready to make a purchase?

And I honestly don't know.

It's amazing to me that something like this can happen. It is so very, very wrong.

I'm not really sure who to blame, but one thing is for sure: if the networks looked out for OUR interests as well as the merchants, these parasites would have NEVER been allowed into the network in the first place.

I mean, exactly what is the business model here, anyway? A free software download. OK, great. What does it do? It has a shopping feature. OK, big deal. How does it work? It hijacks links from content sites. BINGO! They should have been denied. It's theft.

Since they didn't do the right thing initially, the networks should have dropped Morpheus when it was proven what they were doing.

The networks didn't lose any money due to the parasites either, so it's no big deal for them.

The affiliates are the only losers here.

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on everyone involved in this behavior.

Andy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I understand what Haiko is saying. It is unusual for an Aff. Manager to have enough ownership of his program (Like Andy at TigerDirect) to be able to pull the plug on an affiliate that figures so prominently on his weekly revenue report.

So when we hear that things are being done, and I hear it from Haiko, I am willing to wait and see what happens.

Having said all that, I can tell you that my frustration level grows daily. I too see my clicks going to merchants growing, while sales decline. In the case of one merchant, I was getting a sale for every 50-100 clicks. Funny, not one sale in the last 1,200 clicks! Why? Makes me wonder...

Fred [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

ABW Ambassador
    what bother me the most is when merchants on this board post this type of thing:
    "I understand there is a resolution and a policy change being offered by BeFree on the table, once this situation is resolved and we are sure that no affiliate traffic will be diverted, I may reconsider this decision." I MAY RECONSIDER THIS DECISION. What's their to reconsider? They've been proven TWICE stealing commissions. If you reconsider, maybe Haiko should reconsider them having a forum here?

May all your ups and downs be in bed

This is what would make me feel better about the situation...

1. Legal action by the Merchant(s) against Morpheus to Forfeit all monies paid by Merchant(s) to Morpheus for the period they were reinstated. (read - Class Action)

2. Legal Action by Merchant(s) to restrain Morpheus from operation until forfeitures are paid to Merchant(s).

3. Distribution of all monies recovered by these Merchant(s) to affiliates in an equitable manner.

Until then, it's all smoke and mirrors.

Jim in Texas [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Patriot, Army Type, One Each...
    USA - This We'll Defend

"None of these merchants who allowed them back in will remain on my site. I'm in the process of completely removing them now."

How can I determine which merchants allowed them back in?

suggest we start a list of them?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yes it is the merchants' fault. This issue would over and done with but for merchants allowing the scum back in. I for one don't buy the BS being shoveled that "we didn't know." That's crap, they know it and I know it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I pulled out my original WhenU/SaveNow merchant black list from over a year ago. Very interesting that the same merchants keep cropping up on these lists.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Well... the merchants agreed to pay *us* if someone 'linked through our site'. I'd say who cares if they pay parasites for our sales. They *still owe us the money anyway*.

We didn't get paid it. We know what proportion of clicks should have resulted in commissions - I mean we aren't short of statistics.

Just because the exact amount cannot be determined to the nearest cent, doesn't mean we cannot make the attempt.

I suggest working out to the best of your ability how much you have lost, then forwarding an invoice for that amount to the merchant.

I

i don't know if this is feasible or not, but...

i'd LOVE to see a list of "certified scum-free" merchants posted in a permanent, prominent forum here at abw.

this would then become the place where affiliates could come to one-stop-shop for "safe" merchants to partner with.

...and, i think to help fund abw, haiko should be able to post these approved merchants using his referral links.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread