View Poll Results: Do You, Would you, or Have you in the recent past used Gator or Ebates? Or affiliated with them?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do now

3 5.77%
  • No, but I did in the past, and I feel terrible about it. I didn't understand.

10 19.23%
  • No

6 11.54%
  • HELL NO, NEVER.

33 63.46%
    ABW Ambassador
    Note: I'm not including testing purposes!

I've seen more and more posts on this board where our very members have software on their own personal computers such as Gator, Kazaa, etc. Also, I've seen more and more posts where people admit (unknowingly or not) that they do or have promoted Ebates, Gator, Upromise, etc affiliate program. This really bothers me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] In fact it makes me angry. Some of the people involved are people who, well, lets say they aren't "newbies." All I can say is:
    Shame On You! If our own can't NOT use this software, then, how can we expect the general public not to? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

There are a few other "incent" programs I'm on the fence about (will not personally promote them, but maybe it does make sense for some), but I'll leave it at these for now, which, I think most around here accept work directly against us with predatory practices.

Anyway,
    How about an anonymous poll about the topic?

Do You or would you use:
    The Gator Software,
    The Ebates reward service,
    or promote either one through your website via an affiliate program?

ABW Ambassador
    I just realized I suck at making polls [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    There isn't one for

Sure I use them but only to test the rotton slime balls to see if they are "steal stealing"
    from me.

That is not a misspelling - (pun intented)
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Poll Question:
    Note: I'm not including testing purposes! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] yeah, obviously, some of us install these programs for testing. I really don't even like to do that, but, eh, sometimes you have to get your hands dirty I guess when dealing with dirt.

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have an old computer (circa 1999) that I sacrifice to test programs on now. I would never load any of these parasites on the computer I use daily, since I don't trust them and I don't want to create a bunch of problems.

I've been under the impression from reading the posts that most ABWers have these programs loaded to monitor the activities of the parasites. Kind of like the parasites coming here to monitor us, we monitor them also.

Neither of us really knows who the other is.

Andy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You'll find those beyonf testing that promote the scumbags for the lead fees are not willing to build out content or product sales sites. Desperation "leads" to fuel the spammers and spread of parasite/spyware hidden payloads by pushing FREEBEEs.

Put your thinking caps on folks. How are you possibly going to comtete with the BHO professional "Incent" Dupers and parasites with your lame attempts at loyality programs. They will eat you alive with their network sponsored autoloads and non-domain bound offer Popups.

WebMaster Mike

"Vision without Action is a daydream .. Action without vision can be a nightmare"
    Combine the two and you have the makings of a profitable reality!

Joseph,

Great poll!

When I was green (late 1999 early 2000) I promoted Gator during their $25 bounty and got one ... I feel like shoot for it, if I get paid from them when they leave BeFree I'll donate it plus a worthy bounty to a charity or a spyware site, back then I was transitioning from Domain Name sales into Affiliate marketing and only had the top paying links up ( I was exclusively beFree then ). I still feel really bad [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Joseph.
    Please delete the "yes I do now" vote. I did it before I noticed the <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Poll Question:
    Note: I'm not including testing purposes! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I just downloaded two of the this week whenu and e-bates. I wish I hadn't [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] since downloading them my comp has slowed right down but even worse I now realise the extent of the thieving that is going on. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] and believe me the 0.0whatever% figures e-bates stated is an utter load of shoot. Thanks for that word Haiko it sounds much better than the one I was going to use [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

Joseph,

This is in regards to my post in the Linkshare forrum.

Haiko Said;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When I was green (late 1999 early 2000) I promoted Gator during their $25 bounty and got one ... I feel like shoot for it, if I get paid from them when they leave BeFree I'll donate it plus a worthy bounty to a charity or a spyware site, back then I was transitioning from Domain Name sales into Affiliate marketing and only had the top paying links up ( I was exclusively beFree then ). I still feel really bad <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly my case as for promoting them way back whenever. Haiko, no reason to feel bad when we weren't aware of the situation back then. I was also new to affiliate marketing. Also, I will be doing the same thing, donating the money to fight Parasiteware if they were to send me a check for what I earned a couple of years or so ago with them. The same thing I did with the money that I earned from the Overstock program.

Joseph,

I figured you would be able to read between my lines. Obviously not so. Don't go accusing members of things without knowing the facts. Awwww Jeeesh, now I'm starting to sound like Wayne with facts. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I said that Gator is on my computer for a reason. Thats all you really need to know. If you don't trust me then thats your perogative. JMO of course FWIW.

Gordon,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I just downloaded two of the this week whenu and e-bates. I wish I hadn't since downloading them my comp has slowed right down but even worse I now realise the extent of the thieving that is going on. and believe me the 0.0whatever% figures e-bates stated is an utter load of shoot. Thanks for that word Haiko it sounds much better than the one I was going to use <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is really scary isn't it when we see how many redirects and so on that is going on. I know when I go work on someones computer that has some of the programs I just shake my head in disgust. My sister went to order something from my site and said when she got to the merchant something would just keep popping up on almost every page. I'm gonna check it out when I get a chance to see what they have installed on their comp. It's pretty sad when your family tries to support your job and someone else gets paid for it. Discusting is the first word that comes to mind. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko,
    Thanks. Sure I put "feel terrible" in there, but, really, like Packy said I don't think anyone should feel bad for stuff done back in '99 when they didn't know better..

Gordon,
    Sorry I don't think I can edit the poll, I guess I should have bolded the testing purposes disclaimer.

Packy,
    Sorry, it wasn't just about your statement, I've seen several others who said they were using it. Anyway, my personal opinion is excepting testing purposes, if you are using these peoples software then you are part of the problem. " Discusting is the first word that comes to mind. frown" JMO too.

Joseph,

Sorry, I'm grumpy when I first wake up. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] Hopefully come early next year we won't even have to be talking about Parasites. Most likely longer than that though. Might take some real hardball playing though to get there. Time will tell I guess. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

As an affiliate I've never pushed Gator but it was on my computer as a password reminder in the past.

I never cared to have them since windows does the same thing anyways but my wife grew to like gator. Too bad but I won that disagreement and gator is long gone.

ABW Ambassador
    I did the same thing that Haiko did....I carried a banner for Gator a long, long time ago before I knew nothing of Spyware, Scumware, etc. I also had it on a computer (like Heyder). I got tired of the stupid thing popping up all the time. If I knew then what I know now....sheesh.

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I really don't even like to do that<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erased flaming message. Sitting on hands. Trying not to be rude.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    H*ll No, Never!

Gator sounded like irritating junk from the start, and I spotted eBates out as a competitor (even before they were known to do any parasitic activity) so I didn't sign up for/promote that, either.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

Oh come on leader

Yep, I signed up for gator through befree atleast 6 or 7 years ago, didn't know much about building websites, still don't, but slapped a text link up and got two or three signups I think for 3 bucks in my account, it's still sitting there.
    But this was when they were just for remembering passwords, I used it myself then, was a great tool until IE started doing it itself.
    I don't feel bad, because they weren't bad then, hehe, well they could've been, but I don't think they wer parasites yet.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "Oh come on leader ~Heyder"

I just saw that post, Heyder. Just what is THAT supposed to mean?! I've promoted some free downloads but none of them were Gator or Ebates, and as far as I know none have been accused of overwriting links or other parasitism either.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

lol just messin with you

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread