View Poll Results: Working long hours?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • work less than 12 hours/day total, including intervals, no work on weekends

8 11.76%
  • work less than 12 hours/day total, including intervals, also work on weekends

17 25.00%
  • work 12-14 hours/day, including intervals, no work on weekends

0 0%
  • work 12-14 hours/day total, including intervals, also work on weekends

23 33.82%
  • work over 14 hours/day, including weekends, I love what I am doing, but take off all the free time I please whenever I feel like it

20 29.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    is your business your pleasure, or is your pleasure your business?

(work for the purpose of this poll includes work outside your home, work at home, work-related activites, community work - excluding social activities, home chores, excluding time with children)

[This message was edited by heisje on November 23, 2002 at 04:39 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe if i was single i could do more than 12 hrs and weekends. For those who have somebody and are working more than 12hrs. a day and weekends, be careful.

Sales are everywhere, Sales are mine.

ABW Ambassador
    Polar opposite here.

An hour or so on weekdays then a 12 to 18 hour marathon on the weekend.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1:
    For those who have somebody and are working more than 12hrs. a day and weekends, be careful.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good advice. Alternatively you could get your partner to work the same hours as you do on affiliate sites.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Work most of the time except when eating o/r
    watching NYPD Blue and Law And Order.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I work more than I sleep, which somehow seems wrong, lol.

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

I used to work like Crankin'_Deelz, but since a few days ago when I quit my job, now I work about 10 hours a day, but definitely not continuously. This is the first weekend I can take a leisure break and not to worry about rushing to get everything done and being at work (for somebody) on Monday.

Oh, I used to work more than I sleep too, but not anymore.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> excluding social activities, home chores, excluding time with children<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That "home chores and time with children" part is a HUGE part of my daily work load. Sorry, but as much as I love my kids and value the time I spend with them, it is extremely draining and a lot of work. I deal with the banking, the bill paying, the grocery shopping, the birthday parties, the almost weekly "something else that needs to be purchased", 90% of the cooking, 95% of the laundry, 90% of the dishes, and we haven't touched on other household duties.

Before the September Google changes, I often stayed up late nights making pages. Since September I get to sleep by 11pm at the latest most nights. Keeps my ROI higher. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

So by the time I get to site work these days, I may be w*rking only a couple of hours a day according to your definition. According to my definition, I basically am not working when I sleep.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

ABW Ambassador
    What about 24 hours a day....I generally get 4-6 hours sleep a day (been that way my whole life)...and during those hours, you can bet pagers and cell phones are on the nightstand [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

Affiliate Manager
    I have 2 computers on my desk at work, and 3 computers 3' away from my bed at home. I keep telling myself that I'll catch up with sleep next month, but I've been telling myself that same thing all my life... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I always work.

When I wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, I always check my email and sales stats on my way back to bed. One day I'll get a life... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Shawn Schwegman
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

ABW Ambassador
    You need to take the "loving it" part out of the last question. The problem is that to get my web sites to where I want them to be take this much work.

I actually am quite irate with myself for spending as much time as I have on affiliates. It seems I spend far too much time taking failed programs off my site than just about any other activity.

My guess is the bulk work of any job falls below the love it category, and is in the...got to do it category.

Then when I get in a surly mood I come to ABW and vent. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Protophoto - Short Stories

webmistress & all - some clarifications on the definition of this poll (unfortunately system does not allow for post edits after 60 minutes of the original post, as you know):

home chores, baby & child care are *definitely* included in "work" - what I have proposed to be excluded is free time spent with children, i.e. sports, entertainment, excursions, reading a book together, teen relations, etc

interesting conclusions may already be detected from this poll regarding the ABW affiliate community, but let us wait for a few more days before we sum it all up . . .

many thanks for your precious contribution.
    heisje

I work 18+ hours a day, but spend plenty of time with the family too.
    My husband now works for me, so we do spend plenty of time together. It actually helps that he now understands what I do, he can understand what I am talking about.
    We have 5 computers so we all kind of spend quality computer time together. We take supper breaks, homework breaks, movie breaks etc.
    This kind of work is pretty flexible thank goodness.
    My 16 year old emails us from the basement and inquires about supper.
    I think one good thing is that it shows the kids good work ethics. And how many kids actually know or care about what their parents do for a living? Mine can see exactly what I do.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heisje:

home chores, baby & child care are *definitely* included in "work" - what I have proposed to be excluded is free time spent with children, i.e. sports, entertainment, excursions, reading a book together, teen relations, etc

.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"In that case I need to change my answer", says one of the less than 12-ers.

The line between work and pleasure is to thin. My work is also my recreational activity. I also have a 9-5 job but it's one even Leader would enjoy. (shh I sit on a computer getting paid all day and build my websites) Love being a manager [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The sad thing is some of the return for all these hard work and sleepless days is stolen by parasites, who call us "small affiliates" and forget that they got bigger with our commission at first place.

have asked Haiko to modify the definition of "work" for this poll as follows:

(work for the purpose of this poll includes work outside your home, work at home, work-related activities, community work (excluding social activities), home chores, baby & child care, but excluding free time with children and/or spouse ex. sports, entertainment, excursions, reading a book together, teen relations, etc)

hope this is possble - in order to get more accurate results.

I work in the grocery industry about 24-32 hours a week and work on my site about 40 hours a week. So I'm busy.

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Eww...way too much W*RKING in this thread!

Less than 12 productive hours/day of course. Incessant stat checking does not count as w*rk IMO, since that much checking not necessary for performance.

Sometimes the amount of w*rking tries vainly to creep up on me but if I see the days even trying to approach 8 hours--(which only happens during holiday season anyway, the rest of the year it's easy to chill) I get the Games on quick! It would be defying part of the Objective, to end up w*rking as much as a regular j*b would require...

Heyder, no dice as to me liking that j*b of yours. As long as you have to show up, X amount of days, at X time--it Sucks no matter what you're doing after you drag yourself out of the nice, warm bed at some idiot time and drive through the snow and cold! You can have it, I'll think of you when I hear somebody's windows being scraped [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

lol [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

(deleted)

THE POLL IS ON THE FIRST PAGE - THIS IS THE SECOND PAGE - PLEASE GO TO PAGE 1 AND VOTE - MANY THANKS

CONCLUSIONS?

one week in the poll and we have already 45 members voting. this may not be a sufficient number of votes to draw safe conclusions (a sample of a minimum of 1000 is considered in statistics necessary to define conclusions as valid) but certainly a pattern of ABW member behaviour may be detected here:

so:

1.- Facts:

- only 13% of voters do not work on weekends - 87% do
    - 65% work *very* hard indeed, and apparently do not lead lives considered "normal" in popular perception.

2.- Possible interpretations on ABW members:

- a population of intelligent "doers" struggling for upward mobility through the new medium, the "new economy"

- getting better results per hour with this task than with other tasks previously undertaken, or undertaken in tandem - thus finding worthwhile to (temporarily?) sacrifice a "normal" life in exchange for current/future achievement by putting up "inhuman" work hours

- by far most do not consider that they have yet achieved their goals

- working in a pioneering sector, but in an environment which affords no security at all and even any morsels of certainty - therefore putting up a lot of effort to "hedge" the possibility of a "crash"

- signs of constant success, continually edging up, heightens expectations - today's achievements which were yesterday's high expectations are belittled while greed nests in the mind, constantly rising goals - within the context of terror, that everything achieved with so much effort may crash to almost nothing in no time at all

these are my conclusions, for the time-being:
    sweet and sour . . .

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It beats a "reeeaaaal" j*b! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

And that's why people work long hours to make it work, to quit the real job, for the easy payoff in the end. Leader knows, ask her, hehe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast