• $1.00 - $2.00 per thousand page views

0 0%
  • $2.01 - $5.00 per thousand page views

7 15.22%
  • $5.00 - $10.00 per thousand page views

9 19.57%
  • $10 or more per thousand page views

23 50.00%
    I'm looking for benchmarks to guage my site's performance by. Since traffic patterns vary by site, I'd like to hear what people here are making per thousand page views.

IMO, this is a more useful metric than total earnings because it is directly related to how well somebody is monetizing their site traffic.

Also, if you have a newsletter and you think this materially contributes to your earnings, I'd like to hear your comments.

NetSweat.com - The Internet's Fitness Resource
    www.netsweat.com

Think I make $2.02

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    That varies widely by site. A quick check of a few of my own sites shows a range between $9.24 and $58.15!

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    $13.97 is the average of all my sites.

---
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." ~ The Tathagata

Mine is about $10 for 1 thousand page views

Jason
    Santa Cruz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    That varies widely by site. A quick check of a few of my own sites shows a range between $9.24 and $58.15!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want in on some of that $58 stuff - I would guess that's probably nearly twice as good than what most merchants do

Dale Wentzel
    Director, Online Marketing Motormint.com
    Nothing Builds Business Better than a Strong A.R.M.

Buy them a new application and they'll be content for a day - Show them how to code... and they'll go into business for themselves.

ABW Ambassador
    For this month, I made about $13.6 per 1,000 page views. Although I have some sales that have not been shipped yet, and thus not showing up as commission earned. Taking those orders into account, the total goes up to about $15.20

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    net or gross?

Interesting question. We don't use that metric, however. Is that how many sites track their financial success?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Interesting question. We don't use that metric, however. Is that how many sites track their financial success? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I hope not.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

OK, then it's not just me? The volume of page views is useful because it provides inventory for our CPM banners, but we don't really match that up with earnings in any way.

I'd be interested to hear other thoughts on this as a metric.

Karl

Your Internet Starts Here

I certainly can't use it as a metric, but I'm a merchant. - Our affiliate base does a great deal of the selling for us but then we run a lot of Brand Advertising and Sweepstakes which generates a lot of page views for us (10 to 30,000 a day) but don't provide much in the way of conversions. Just a lot of seed planting.

Dale Wentzel
    Director, Online Marketing Motormint.com
    Nothing Builds Business Better than a Strong A.R.M.

Buy them a new application and they'll be content for a day - Show them how to code... and they'll go into business for themselves.

Dale:
    Thanks for the perspective. By the way, I love the site. It's a dream come true for a middle-age guy!
    Karl

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't use it as a metric either. I looked it up for this thread, and occasionally I'll do a curiosity check for myself, but that's about it.

For me it's all about the Bottom Line and other factors are secondary unless there is an extreme somewhere. Like if something gets 10,000 page views and sells zilch I WILL be taking a closer look! Or, on the good side, if something gets 100 page views and sells 10 products, you can bet I'll be on it to increase the amount of exposure *that* product gets...

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~fairly old country song

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DesignerWiz.com Team:
    I hope not.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? Why not?
    Seems like a very useful metric to me.

SirenSong
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

I started the thread, because I think it's a real useful metric.

The focus of most site promotion discussions seems to either be boosting traffic as a means to boost sales. The problem with this line of thought is, however, that if you;re inefficient with monetizing sales to begin with, you are severely limiting your upside potential.

IMO, it's as important to monetize traffic as it is to build traffic. Earnings per thousand page views tells you how well you are or are not monetizing traffic.

www.netsweat.com

Netsweat:
    If we were relying strictly on affiliate sales, I think you might be correct. Traffic has inherent value to us because we sell banners on a CPM basis, as well as bundling them with sponsorship packages. So generating page views creates inventory that we use to deliver those impressions.
    Does that make sense?

It makes complete sense.

On any given page, a webmaster can:
    a)Sell advertising
    b)Sell products/services via affiliate programs
    c)Use a combination of the two
    d)not sell or promote anything

IMO, too many people focus on driving traffic numbers, without maximizing the sales per traffic ratio. Focusing on both results in a double-barrell approach towards maximizing money.

www.netsweat.com

Netsweat:
    I think we're saying the same thing (when I said 'does this makes sense' I meant my explanation of our revenue model; I hope it didn't come across as negative in any way!)

I appreciate your perspective and can see how that metric would be more important to us if we relied more on direct sales. In our situation, affiliate marketing is more of a "value added" type of thing. I don't think it will every become a significant revenue stream, but we've seen some growth and could probably do a bit better.

In fact, I'm working with a vendor now to take over the "stores" we've created for our pro sports teams. The commission is higher and it will be a seamless transition from our site to the "store," so that should help curtail people going "directly to the source" for a second purchase.

BTW, thanks to all who've responded to this thread so far. I have found it most useful!

Right now I am at $86.02 ( WOW! I am surprised too)

BUT, I don't pay too much attention to this metric. Like Leader said before, I look at what sells and what doesn't, and give more exposure to the things that sell.

Alex
    AlexBet Design

How much do you have reversed per 1000 page views?

I personally think eCPM & eCPC are great metrics especially for measuring CPA deals side by side with your regular CPM deals. I use them everyday for optimization purposes.

Abit of a tangent, but I do know of some merchants who do alot of cross selling that charge up to $500 CPM on certain placements. These aren't seriously high traffic portions of the site, but these placements convert so well that the CPM is worth it.

ABW Ambassador
    Page views means almost nothing to me. It's very hard to even get an accurate measure. The metric I use is EPC (earnings per hundred referrals) and that varies widely with competitiveness of the industry. Apparel might yield $5 EPC but mortgage leads might yield $50 EPC. The lowere EPC's may actually earn more money because it's much easier to get traffic for the less competitive areas.

My reversals are usually small, less than 5% because I generally don't promote merchants that can't control their reversals. When the reversals start to climb I stop promoting them, although I do allow for more reversals with apparel for instance because that's the nature of the business.

Paul:
    If anyone wants to pay HALF that CPM, have them give me a call!

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

My baseline metric isn't page views, but unique visits and hours invested. It doesn't matter how many pages someone views once they get to my site - they are going to make one purchase at most. It is getting them to my site that is the expensive part, both in time spent site-tuning and advertising (if you advertise, us CPC search engine, etc.)

All my sites are set-it-and-forget-it content oriented sites. I invest an average of 5 hours a month in maintenance of them all (not including original set-up time). That comes out to about $700 an hour after expenses - even more than I make as a consultant!

One is 300 pages of static content plus 200 pages of static products (amazon), and one very complementary electronic product. It makes $30 per thousand visitors. But with 80,000 visitors a month, it does OK by me.

Another site is only 4 static pages, very focused niche, and it makes over $150 per thousand visitors (would do better if I could get off the 2nd page in Google)

There are a few more sites with numbers in between.

I'd suggest scrapping page views and concentrating on either unique visitors or hours invested as your denominator in your value calculation.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread