View Poll Results: Overstock datafeed - worth a bash?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, build an Overstock site. They are 100% parasite free.

3 9.38%
  • Yes, build a site even though they do liase with undesirable elements of affiliate marketing.

4 12.50%
  • No, dont waste your time - they don´t deserve loyalty from small affiliate marketers.

19 59.38%
  • No, they are trying to force parasites to change which is commendable, but you wont make any money from them.

3 9.38%
  • Who is Overstock?

3 9.38%
    ABW Ambassador
    Could go here, could go in Overstock forum. ANyway. I have long been a knocker of Overstock for unbelievably poor conversion rates for me when I did promote them. However, I requested and have access to the datafeeds. Should I spend the next week building pages for Overstock or should I work on companies I know convert well and do not partner with parasites?

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    hehe good luck getting an honest answer here
    (note: I didn't vote )

ABW Ambassador
    Nah. Skip 'em. You won't make any money.

Michael <-- gets back to building Overstock.com site

In my opinion, I think Overstock is a joke. I just love Overstock's stand regarding the parasites: our affiliates come first, but we're going to allow the parasites in the program as well, because they're trying to clean up their act.

Meanwhile, even though the parasite affiliates are taking commissions from all of our other affiliates, we really have a great program to offer, so spend lots of time building pages for us so it can go in another affiliate's pocket! Your time isn't worth that much anyway, is it? You don't really want to get paid for your efforts, do you?

Bullshoot!!! Don't waste your time with Overstock. They don't care about their affiliates, even though they say they do. Actions speak louder than words, and they allow parasites to steal from you. They've been working on correcting the problem forever, all the while allowing theft.

And doesn't that STINK???

Andy

"If you were born to be shot, you'll never be hung." -Unknown

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I would say to consider more than parasites in your decision.

For instance, do they pay a real commission or can you trounce it in by picking another merchant?

Does the stuff stay sold?

Does it sell in the first place? What's the CR and EPC?

If the OTHER fundamentals don't add up, then whether they have paras is a moot point.

If they DO add up, usually you can do well enough despite the presence of parasites. Note that that's "usually"...I have found some notable exceptions to the rule!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Leader sets the ABW record for shortest post.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I rescinded that "shortest post" crown quickly after I reworded the post. I just didn't want the original showing as I edited.

Plus, there are other people who have posted "." and left it that way, so the "shortest posts" records belong to them!

~Revenue is King

Affiliate Manager
    You could always try us out and see if we work well for you. If we don't, then pull our links down. If we do, then everyone's happy...

Just my two cents...

Shawn Schwegman
    VP of Sales & Marketing
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

Id have to say were a little dissapointed as well today. Ive been a big fan of Overstock until recently. Its not exactly easy to promote Daily Deals - Static Text Links sent to us when were sent the following. I love the idea.. but... the products.. are.. lets just say if we post this in a forum we might be attacked by red ants and spider monkeys. I hope these get better.

Product Name: Donald Pliner Men's Osvaldo Loafers
    Everyday Price: $39.99
    Daily Deals Price: $36.99
    Save: $3

$3 off???

Product Name: Rayure Paris Double Zipper White Blouse
    Everyday Price: $59.99
    Daily Deals Price: $55.99
    Save: $4

$4 off??

You get the picture.
    Ive been a big fan of Overstock for quite some time, but without a $5 or $10 off link or decent discount ($3 off?) on a good product its getting.. well.. lets say.. its not easy for us right now to sell/push.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn@Overstock.com:
    You could always try us out and see if we work well for you. If we don't, then pull our links down. If we do, then everyone's happy...

Just my two cents...

Shawn Schwegman
    VP of Sales & Marketing
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shawn
    I think your post shows the ignorance that is responsible (and widespread among affiliate managers)for many affiliates refusing to work with you and companies like yours who promote parasites and dont give a hoot about small affiliates.

"..try us out and see if we work well for you. If we don't, then pull our links down...."

What the hell do you think affiliates do with your datafeed? I know what I had intended. Buy a domain, get hosting (both of wich cost me money), build a data driven site around a few of your more interesting feeds (my time = big money) and then get optimization working, and promote the hell out of the site. This is a lot of time and effort on the part of the small affiliate who then gets ZERO support from the affiliate manager of the program.

Then what. If it doesn't work out, pull the links down.

Thanks a lot. I know how much my time and efforts are appreciated by Overstock.

Andy Williams

Searching for an honest answer here...

You'll have to make your own decision whether Shawn's stance on Parasites works for you or not.
    I will tell you this though:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>What (seems like) millions of products
    <LI>Many different product categories
    <LI>Decent Commission[/list]
    Return days could be longer (14 now).

Just build my first Overstock oriented site 30 days ago... Uh, on second thought, better stay away from Overstock

Fred
    PS: I did vote above, but did not check the box that says "Who is Overstock."
    "There is nothing more fun than participating in an online poll, and checking the box that says 'Who Cares'" Anonymous

Overstock is worthless. After Giving another chance to get sales for overstock via google, msn, yahoo and altavista listings for overstock, my stats since I started with Overstock.: 790 clicks and only 4 order, with all the cheap items they have I was expecting 1 1-30 click ratio. Hmm wierd here. perhaps I should get more pages up. But should I just focus on other merchants instead?

goal: $2000 a month by 11/26
    Financial free by 2004.
    The xtremeshopping.org network

Jason- Santa Cruz, CA

ABW Ambassador
    As always, it is down to personal preference. If you don't give Overstock a try, then you will never know. However, they could convert very well if you have more pages up. Is it worth the time and effort?
    I have at least 20 merchants on my list to work with before I would consider working with Overstock. Once they are out of the way, maybe I will give Overstock a try.
    Maybe by then I will find another 20 though

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

One thing to keep in mind if you do feature links to a merchant that does business with the parasites: you will most likely at some point be supporting the parasites.

This is because you are endorsing them indirectly, just by linking to merchants who partner with them. And when the software malfunctions (and it always does it seems), allowing cookies to be overwritten or pop ups to occur, you not only lose that sale, but you are putting money in the parasites' pockets.

If you were already featuring a merchant before the parasite issue came to light, and depend on that income to live on, that's one thing. I think everyone can understand the reluctance to drop them in that case. But to publish new pages for a parasite-partnered merchant, when you don't already depend on that income, is not helping affiliates fight the problem. Plus you are not supporting the merchants who have taken a stand against the parasites.

The parasites depend on affiliate traffic for much of their income. If there are fewer links to merchants signed up with the parasites, there's less income for them.

Andy

Affiliate Manager
    We do not do business with Gator or WhenU.

What "parasites" are you referring to?

Shawn Schwegman
    VP of Sales & Marketing
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy:
    One thing to keep in mind if you do feature links to a merchant that does business with the parasites: you will most likely at some point be supporting the parasites.

This is because you are endorsing them indirectly, just by linking to merchants who partner with them. And when the software malfunctions (and it always does it seems), allowing cookies to be overwritten or pop ups to occur, you not only lose that sale, but you are putting money in the parasites' pockets.

If you were already featuring a merchant before the parasite issue came to light, and depend on that income to live on, that's one thing. I think everyone can understand the reluctance to drop them in that case. But to publish new pages for a parasite-partnered merchant, when you don't already depend on that income, is not helping affiliates fight the problem. Plus you are not supporting the merchants who have taken a stand against the parasites.

The parasites depend on affiliate traffic for much of their income. If there are fewer links to merchants signed up with the parasites, there's less income for them.

Andy

"If you were born to be shot, you'll never be hung." -Unknown<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andy
    Thanks for the opinion. I think you have something here.

Andy Williams

ABW Ambassador
    Some of their product lines convert well, some dont convert hardly at all. The stuff that i sell with them converts very well; but it is a TINY FRACTION of their full product line.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn@Overstock.com:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most average affiliates Probably consider a parasite to be...

"ANYTHING or ANYONE that INTERFERES with the affiliate making his commission on the merchants he promotes."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Shawn wrote:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Overstock is on Ebates, Upromise, Igive, just to name a few.

If you allow some of your affiliates to overwrite the cookies of others, you're allowing parasitic activity! You're not paying commissions in a fair and just way to ALL of your affiliate base.

Quite frankly, Overstock is in so many incentive programs, I'm surprised ANY of your other non-incentive affiliates get any commissions at all!

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    The votes are in:

70% No
    20% Yes
    10% Overstock who?

It is such a shame that Overstock lose so many potential affiliates by supporting unfair practises. Oh, well. It is their business.

Andy Williams

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread