• 10 to 50 cents

5 9.80%
  • 50 cents to a dollar

4 7.84%
  • more than one dollar

5 9.80%
  • I don't bid on keywords

23 45.10%
    On average, what sort of cost per click do you pay for keywords on PPC engines?

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

ABW Ambassador
    If you pay more than a dollar, do you get a good return? That seems a hell of a lot to pay for a visitor. Is it really worth it? Does it pay off?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    Usually i try to keep it at 5 cents, maybe up to 10 on some terms. During the holidays, and other peak times when people are ready to buy, i let it fly.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    Over a dollar? What is the most that you would bid?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    10 cents is the most i would bid, right now everything at 5. I take advantage of misspellings, and getting very targetted phrases, doing that you can stay at 5.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Did anyone else notice the interesting way that the humor page (subj.com) displays its internal links so they look "official"
    http://www.homelandsecurity.gov@subj...erner_horn.htm

The value before the @ sign is obviously a "username" that is thrown away, but it give the impression that it is the actual hosting site.

Hmmm - yet more ways to mislead the unitiated...

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

well spotted

I just wanted to make sure I was in the right ballpark on my bids.. even with the best performing merchants it seems unprofitable to bid more than a couple of cents. Hmm.

________

Question:

Are you all directing the PPC links to your web page, where you have product info and a link to the merchant (with tracking code), so it takes 2 clicks before the visitor gets to the merchant's page

OR

Are you setting up the PPC link to go directly to the merchant with your tracking codes?

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

ABW Ambassador
    Just curious as to which PPC's you are using. With Findwhat and the others working with parasites, which ones are clean?
    Cazzie

You'll notice that I didn't ask that! (Deliberately)

________

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Are you all directing the PPC links to your web page, where you have product info and a link to the merchant (with tracking code), so it takes 2 clicks before the visitor gets to the merchant's page <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our affiliates tend to use both-
    When targeting by something we do well- they do best minimizing clicks and going firectly to us. When they can do it better (like a listing niche sites, or selling why one hotel is better for Disney travelers) they send the user to their site- with a higher look to book result.

Basically- it depends on the level of your presell and the terms you are targetting.

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

Wouldn't it depend on what your EPC would be for the particular merchant/product that you are trying to promote? Most of the time, my EPC for merchants or products is twice or more than the EPC that is listed for them. If you know what your EPC is, you could probably bid a little bit higher and still be okay.

Just don't base your decision on too small of an amount of data. One or two sales for the item being promoted is probably not enough data to make a good EPC judgement on.

Also, some PPC search engines could negatively affect your EPC and undermine your marketing efforts. Recently, I tried using Kanoodle. Though I got lots of traffic to my site, but there were very few click-throughs to merchant sites and no new sales. I don't think I'll be funding my account with them again anytime soon!

Greg

I am a BIG fan of using GoToast both to manage my bids and to track my ROI.

If you are not familiar with them, you just add some code to your site and it will track PPC clicks to sales for you. You can also use it to automatically maintain a certain profit margin on all your PPC traffic. For example I like to make $1.50 for every $1.00 in PPC I spend, so I set up that way and GoToast does the rest. This means that I bid high for some words on Overture, but only pennies for words on Findwhat or Kanoodle.

This also allows me to work at a day job and not have to mange PPC stuff all day.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread