View Poll Results: What is the highest number of click throughs you have had without a sale?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 100 (if so, then why so small a number)

0 0%
  • 101 to 500

3 9.09%
  • 501 to 1000

10 30.30%
  • Over 1000 (if so high, then why leave it so long?)

20 60.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    What is the highest number of click throughs you have had without a sale before you have got rid of the merchant for lack of conversion?
    How do you really decide when enough is enough and you get rid of a bad performer?
    This isn't the worst, but it is an example of terrible conversions. Over the Christmas period of 2002, I sent 1,037 people to Gumps through Linkshare, with not one sale. Nothing, zip.
    I find it hard to believe that nobody purchased anything from Gumps at Christmas time.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Over 1000 (if so high, then why leave it so long?)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The worst one simply got lucky--I hadn't noticed how many clicks they had gotten (about 2500 clicks). When I did, they were gone!

But there have been times where I've figured the price was a bit higher than it ought to be, so I allowed more clicks to make up for the anticonversionary pricing.

For instance, there was one product where I could get either: 5% of $30

Or: 25% of $100. (Similar but not exactly the same product)

It'd take a LOT of sales from the first place to cover that huge gap! (The second place's CR has since improved, too.) It took about 1500 clicks to bring that one to life. The reason for the CR was quite obvious--the price--and there wasn't anything triggering my "fraud-sniffer", so I left 'em up.

On the other extreme, there are a couple I've dumped quite quick, in terms of clicks (less than 100)! That's when they: Do something that peeves me off, seem really shady (or I start reading reports of nonpayment), or, more rarely, if I find I'm Listing Number 10,000 and I don't think the commission's worth the bother of trying to get visible under those keywords.

But I'm more inclined to leave pages up than to yank 'em quick, since every time I fire a merchant I end up finding links to them months later even though I make every attempt to erase their presence before hitting that Drop button! It's like Christmas Tree pickers: No matter how well I vacuum, and re-vacuum, and RE-revacuum, there's always a picker or two left to be found in July...

~Revenue is King

I've a plus size merchant over at shareasale who is over 2500 clicks with narry a bite!
    They've there phone number plastered everywhere with 'please call' and that certainly wouldn't help matters.
    Usually it wouldn't get so far but I'm too busy right now to do something about them changing the links.

It's strange, some merchants will take 1000 clicks before they 'kick in' and start producing sales others will go straight in and produce after a couple of clicks and I've found price often has little to do with it.

As for Gumps, I love their products, patrons seem to love their products by the number of clicks, but I just couldn't get consistant sales with them, so I've pulled most of the links.

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

over 800 clicks at big dogs. They de-activated me soon after.

eMarketer indicates that 2003 will bring in $58.2 billion http://www.webpronews.com/wpn-45-200...rExpected.html

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'd have to rank 3 specific merchants at the bottom of the conversion curve in that they all got over 1 million impressions from my sites and never were able to average better than 1 sale per 1000 clicks. EPC's all under 50 cents.

WalMart -Dell (both BF & LS programs) & Gifttree. Walmart and Dell did manage to have more sales made after the cookie expired then during when they were active. Of course that was part of their ebiz plan.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Jason:
    Big Dogs dropped you? Any reason for the poor (nonexistent) conversion ration?

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

Don't know But they should of converted with there free deals they had, they contacted me and said they were going to drop me if I wasn't going to try harder to premote them, and I said, I sent you 800 clicks and not one transaction, when I used to convert great with them, then it all of a sudden stopped the sales. SO I told them remove me and they did, I emailed them again about a month later and ask them if they could accept me again, they never answered.. So I guess it means nope.. Expecially when I get shit loads of targeted traffic.

eMarketer indicates that 2003 will bring in $58.2 billion http://www.webpronews.com/wpn-45-200...rExpected.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Over 1000 (if so high, then why leave it so long?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The merchant and its products should be of great interest to my site visitors, so I keep making small changes to the pages to see if it helps.

Then I wait to see if the pages get listed higher or lower in the SEs according to the changes I made...it all takes time. Meanwhile, people are clicking away but not buying. Is it me? Is it the ad spin? Is it the background color? Lack of a background color? Is it the merchant? Are my site visitors too cheap to buy?

Who knows. But with this one merchant, I'm determined to turn it around...someday.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    I am far more interested in promoting good merchants than trying to yank bad ones. So a great deal depends on whether or not I have a replacement merchant in the wings. If I have a good merchant, I might pull a non performer at around the 100 miss mark. If not, I might let the site rack up large numbers of hits. I have several sites in the job market that don't perform...but there are no really screaming replacement sites. So I don't bother.

BTW, many of my worst merchants had sales in the first days after joining their program. One of them had a sale registered within hours of my posting their link. Very suspicious.

Garb's Arbitrarium

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I've found price often has little to do with it~MouseJockey <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've found that to be the case lately when the price is in line with what's reasonable for the item/quality, too.

But when people can get a fairly comparable item (this is in a category not skewed by the presence of "designer" or "brand name" goods) for what amounts to 75% off? Then price-resistance comes into play for some of the items on my sites.

Of course, if something's a designer item, then price doesn't seem to matter--some people will pay anything to have the right name on a thing! And as you know, there are categories like jewelry, where the steepness of the price becomes a point of pride...

~Revenue is King

TheMobileRepublic.com - 5894 clicks, no conversions. Switched to another merchant and got a CR of 0.2%, fairly typical for a UK merchant. I got some BS about batch conversions and tracking problems.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

ABW Ambassador
    Very interesting poll results. Not enough people voted for it to be very accurate overall. However, of those who voted, 96% allow a merchant over 500 clicks before any action is taken (or no action) 63% over 1000 clicks
    In essence, the merchant is getting 500, 1000, or even more visitors or more who may keep coming back again and again buying loads of items. However, the affiliate who sent them the traffic, gets nothing in return.
    Does this seem fair?
    Of those merchants who get a high number of clicks, how many of them have low cookie durations? We send them tons of visitors, and they may benefit from customer loyalty, but we get nothing.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    5894 clicks
    - - - - -

Okay, yeah, that was probably enough clicks, lol.

"Nothing like a nice piece of hickory."
    -Preacher, Pale Rider

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elbowcreek:
    - - - - -
    5894 clicks
    - - - - -
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which merchant was that?

It's a pity that those merchant AM's still expect a paycheck. Fire everyone of those who can't report 1 sale per 500 clicks. They'd be unemployable if they had to qualify for a job sweeping floors at Micky D's. Those pissed by this remark who are averaging over this networkwide conversion ratio are common thieves purposely not reporting sales.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

1,284 for Telocity (DirecTv) in one weekend ... I think we all remember that from the old CJU days Needless to say they went kaput.

Now ... 200 max then they are history!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I was quoting Dynamoo above me.

"Nothing like a nice piece of hickory."
    -Preacher, Pale Rider

Originally posted by elbowcreek:
    - - - - -
    5894 clicks
    - - - - -

Wow! And I thought my 4026 clicks was bad. Usually I dump them when they get to 500 but that one was on a site I forgot about. Then Google did a dance and the site started getting traffic. Nothing like having to increase bandwidth to get your attention.

Ray

If it's slick, it's not sticky.

TheMobileRepublic: 5894 clicks - but here's the catch, they were batch processing transactions, didn't upload any for three months, got suspended, got unsuspended and swapped to live, dumping three months of transactions along the way. I was grimly hanging on waiting for the batch upload until they got suspended and I ditched them. CJ acknowledged a "tracking" problem, but rather famously they cocked up a whole month (see here) and never paid anyone at all.

They're also a member of UKaffiliates.com where they've been suspended due to non-payment.

Changed to a similar mechant elsewhere and make a reasonable amount of money, although the cheques are always late.

Isn't there an ABW mantra "when will I ever learn not to market cell phones?"

________

I am working for an affiliation platform in France and I am amazed how many programs give only a commission on sales here in the US.

Tracking problems, bad ergonomy on the Merchant's sites, prices, services, delivery restrictions...And also it sure takes time until a program is REALLY up and running and tracks efficiently sales. There are so many technical bareers sometimes, and misunderstanding (the Merchant only rewards sales coming from a specific URL when most people come back with their cookie through the index or a search engine...).

That's why we ask our new Advertisers to start with a CPM or click only campaign during one month, but sales are tracked. So after a month or even a week, we know if the program is worth launching on a larger scale. If it doesn't, we kick'em out, because there is no reason why affiliate should do the beta testing to proof the transformation potential of a Merchant!

Slap me I'm French!

It's getting so bad even the BHO parasites are dumping some of these lame non-converting merchants!!! Maybe ABW needs a Hall of Shame like they have at F**kedcompany.com

Mike & Charlie ...

I'd forgotten about the entire site the ads were on. They'd been languishing there for more than 2 years!

I've had affiliate banners, etc. up for a number of years, but I didn't make a real commitment to working them until last April.

Horrid time to start trying to catch up, eh?

Hi Mrs Anderson (and welcome!)

14,935, yup that beats me alright

________

ABW Ambassador
    14,935 to the same merchant?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 14,935 to the same merchant? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ayup. Can't say who, though, because it's a Linkshare affiliate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast