View Poll Results: Merchants would you allow an affiliate to join your program only to make their own purchases?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 70.37%
  • No

8 29.63%
  • Unsure/Poll Unclear/Huh?

0 0%
    ABW Ambassador
    To the merchants:

If you knew in advance a particular person was joining your affiliate program simply to make purchases for themselves only, with no plans of ever promoting you on any site, would you approve the app?

ABW Ambassador
    YES
    Why not?

Big Daddy Smokes
    Real American Tobacco
    FAST Shipping
    Residual Income
    Lifetime Accounts
    http://www.bigdaddysmokes.com/recruit2.html
    affmgr@bigdaddysmokes.com

ABW Ambassador
    I would, why not. Things may change.

IamJaloppy

If you turn them down they will still buy the product but not from you. This means one lost sale. If they buy from someone else and like the service and product they might decide to go ahead and promote this product through that merchant. You could lose many sales. If you approve them and they buy the product and never do anything with your affiliate program you at least made one sale.

If I was a merchant selling products, I would, Gives the affiliate a reason to try there products and may also end up being return visitors and if the affiliate likes the product they might even refer others to those products from that merchant. so you end of getting more sales then just one.

ABW Ambassador
    Note: New "affiliate" currently does not run nor has any interest in running any web sites.

--
    BTW, Thanks for the participation. I hope, though, that only merchants voted.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Since I'm not a merchant, I didn't vote, but my 2c is...

I'd probably approve them. Think about it:

Most places' commissions aren't big enough for a single sale to trigger a payout. In my scenario, selling just 1 of "my items" wouldn't cause a payout to be triggered either. So, if someone signs up and buys, but doesn't promote the product, chances are they will never see that "discount" unless they buy bulk quantities.

If they want to get a "bulk discount" for buying, say, 5 or 10 of the item, then fine...and if they don't buy that much then I'm not out a red cent unless the cheapskate breaks down and drums up some more sales to reach the payout figure.

In either case, I win by approving the app.

~Revenue is King

Leader:
    Exceptionally well put.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    Since I'm not a merchant, I didn't vote, but my 2c is...

I'd probably approve them. Think about it:

Most places' commissions aren't big enough for a single sale to trigger a payout. In my scenario, selling just 1 of "my items" wouldn't cause a payout to be triggered either. So, if someone signs up and buys, but doesn't promote the product, chances are they will never see that "discount" unless they buy bulk quantities.

If they want to get a "bulk discount" for buying, say, 5 or 10 of the item, then fine...and if they don't buy that much then I'm not out a red cent unless the cheapskate breaks down and drums up some more sales to reach the payout figure.

In either case, I win by approving the app.

~Revenue is King<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As usual, right on target !!! Great post..

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com

Parasite Free in 2003!

It is far better to have the sale than not to have a sale at all.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    We do and we do... and on Leaders note, we do. hopefully the customer will come back for future sales when they get a cheque from us as well as the diamond, hopefully they'll come and spend what they got in the cheque

The customers going to buy somewhere I'd rather be making no real profit on that first sale, but hopefully be aquiring a customer OR new affiliate partner, than see them go elsewhere

Cheers

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    "Lets sell some rocks.....!!"

Mondera.com Partner Management
    90 Return Days : 100% Parasite Free : Fast Support : Commission on ALL Sales.

Visit the Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here
    <font size="-2">======================================================================
    Partner Program Fully Managed by Web Studio-1 Solutions Co., Ltd
    http://www.webstudio-1.com : clients@webstudio-1.com </font>

My original exposure to affiliate marketing was while working on CDNOW's affiliate programs where we had a lot of band and fan sites. We encouraged affiliates to shop through their own links and their commission was held until they reached minimum, or applied as a credit in their account for future purchases if they so desired. Some of our affiliates were our most loyal customers. I consider it the best product endorsement to have your affiliates using your site and feel that they flat-out deserve this discount. I maintain this policy with the current program I manage and as a couple people mentioned, people signing up exclusively for this purpose are still a sale for us.

Kristy Olsyn
    International SOS Assistance, Inc.
    www.internationalsos.com
    www.internationalsosaffiliate.com
    kristy.olsyn@internationalsos.com

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Heck yes, anyone who wants to buy a baseball field cover could get a nice little discount, lol. S'okay by me!

"Nothing like a nice piece of hickory."
    -Preacher, Pale Rider

We would, and do, allow this. Of course, I have the same reasoning as Kristy on this (since we worked for the same company).

I'm curious, though, that there are a few "no's" in the poll, yet no posts to explain that position. I'd be curious to know the reasons why other merchants don't allow this - perhaps it's something we haven't thought of.

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    f: 610.323.6268
    ::visit our private forum on abw::

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm curious, though, that there are a few "no's" in the poll, yet no posts to explain that position.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect the main reason is to avoid confusion in the market. The affiliate commission is not priced at the same level as a rebate.

If affiliate marketing were to become a synonym for rebate, then working affiliates would see commissions dropped since smart shoppers would always routinely join the affiliate program to get the rebate check.

With affiliate marketing advertised as a rebate mechanism, then the big affiliate links on merchant sites would become even more of a diversionary tactic.

Using affiliate programs as rebate mechanisms lies in a grey area. It is not in the interest of merchants to chase such customers away, the more it becomes mainstream, the rebate affiliate tact will end up undermining the rest of the affiliate channel.

To an extent, eBates is a good case of showing what happens when the affiliate program becomes a rebate mechanism. Essentially, the ebates customers are using the program to get their hands on the affiliate commission...eBates is just handling the paperwork.

Absolutely we would. Good post Leader!

It is a win win situation for the merchant and the affiliate. If a merchant put No, I would be interested in hearing why not.

I suppose that perhaps a merchant would say no if their program terms were created to attract scale affiliates. But personally I believe that to be a poor strategy.

Keith
    United Online
    Juno and NetZero Internet Services

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread