Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I posted this a couple of weeks ago on CJ, but its now lost. I will print out this one.

What are some suggestions/advice that you(merchant) can give an advertiser(me).
    (I am especially asking the old timers).

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Hi, glad to see you made it over!

I'll reprint some suggestions later--I only have time for this short note now.

There are a few things I like on other merchant programs.

One set up a Yahoo email group so all the affiliates could talk and it has proved really helpful. The merchant is active and answers any questions and concerns quickly. This has led to a general feeling of comradrie (even with the merchant and even if we have problems) so it is a great group.

Another one has a generator where you can browse the products, select which ones and a code is automatically generated for you with all the products in a table -- your affiliate code in place. I really like that. It saves time and makes it so easy to do updates.

Another has something similar done by keywords. You type in the keywords you want, the code is generated.

I like these features. The images are small but clear, the pages load fast and it makes me want to add more links. I am also finding that I am selling more this way, which is great!
    Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Monstrphil,

Welcome!

I remember in my reply to you I spoke of integrity ... and I must say that you DO have integrity!

As a merchant who got flamed by many and comes onto our board and wants to continue the conversation to improve your program I must say I respect you have my .

As an answer to your question .. I would state the obvious, not to reopen the issue, but, to solidify the point .... COOKIE duration.
    I for one, and I think many will agree, would rather have a longer cookie duration and a lower commission than a higher commission with a low cookie duration.

Haiko

I think the point about not backing down on the cookie duration is important for affiliate confidence.

Other than that, I'll take a higher commish over a longer cookie any day [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .

Yeah, HIGH COMMISSIONS are paramount! An Infinite cookie would NOT help a merchant with a low commission get placement on my sites.

I have to say I was shocked at all the flaming over a cookie that's still 30 days. Big deal! It's the ones that go to 14 days, 20 days, or, most insultingly, ONE teeny day that deserve all the hostility.

NOW, other suggestions (besides to keep the commission rate up there). Now that I know which programs are yours (GiftTree and Fleet Flowers), I can be more specific (heh heh heh...)

Lower the prices on those Flowers already! Last time I looked, Fleet Flowers was getting whomped all over the Net. The bad thing is, my viewers know it too. The low "$" rating that I remember is because of those prices!!! They're outta sight! As for the "Quality", every florist and his sister is claiming high quality, so that angle does not work when trying to convince new customers. It's just another High Quality Internet Florist out of a sea of the same.

A SALE page might go over well for that. A link to this page would make the administration easy for affiliates. When I had GreatFlowers on, their sales went over GREAT, but it was a pain in the butt to maintain. The link to a special page would be the best of both worlds.

Gift Tree could use some help in the Nav. department. I have a lot of merchants and don't remember the exact thing about GT's site, but it sticks in my craw that the navigation could use improvement. I must have had to explain it too much on my page to get people to the specific product.

Even though I don't like scheduled merchant newsletters (at least not more than one a month), it would be nice to know which products are in demand at this time! There's still time for one more index of Google before Christmas...and LOTS of time to get PPC bids in at the Pay Engines.

Definitely have PRODUCT LINKS set up for the items in the newsletter!

Some general stuff:

Hide any 800 numbers on the contact page. Affiliates do not like to compete against the Call Center.

DO have a guarantee. DON'T make it too cotton-picking easy to find it (in other words, encourage customers to KEEP the stuff by not "advertising for returns".) When they DO find it, though, it should be a good, real guarantee--NOT one of these "call us between 11PM and Midnight, get an authorization number, send it back UPS Next-Day Air, and we MAY kick back the dough" bogus guarantees I see sometimes. I don't remember what kind of guarantees your program has, but I mention this just in case--and maybe some Lame Guarantee merchants will read it too! People will not buy at these un-guarantee places when there's any choice at all.

Don't be so antsy! Some pages get minimal traffic and few sales. But as long as the EPC's good, it's only helping you. And I typically wait at least a week before putting up ANY links to a new (new to me) merchant. This is (a) to avoid Commission Rate bait & switch (b) To make sure the merchant is sticking around. Quick-dropping will only cost YOU. Affiliates which get dropped and not reinstated will be back to haunt you--with your competitor's links, well promoted.

Nothing lower than that 30-day cookie. 45-day merchants already have an edge.

If I think of anything else I'll post again. I don't remember all the stuff I said in my response when you asked a few weeks ago...

Leader & webmistress,

quote:
    Yeah, HIGH COMMISSIONS are paramount! An Infinite cookie would NOT help a merchant with a low commission get placement on my sites.

I would rather have 7% and a 90 day cookie than 10% and a 45 day cookie any day, for the simple reason that if we bring a company sales we should be compensated for it, not just the first sale but at least on one follow up sale also.

Case in point ... Sitstay.com (CJ) [Great merchant BTW]

They have a 45 day cookie and offer 10%!
    When I send people to them and they buy a 6 pack of macho sticks (hot item), the consumer WILL come back and do business with them again and again buying these things because the dogs love them and sitstay is a great company. If they lowered the commission to 7% and extended the cookie duration to 90 days I'd make almost three times as much!

It is simple for me to see that the longer the cookie duration the more I make as people DO buy again from the merchant if they had a good experience with them ... so why not try to make money from those sales also :confused:

Haiko

Speak for yourself, Haiko--a 7 percenter has about as much chance as a Snowball on my site. The second a 10%-er shows up, it's Buh-Bye to the tightwad with the low commish! I don't want to get docked because someone MAY come back later. And that's a big MAY, too--a lot of the things I promote wouldn't bring repeat sales, at least not at such a fast rate. Who the heck is going to buy more of any durable-goods item in 90 days? Even clothes last longer than THAT!

SitStay may be a good merchant, but most merchants are NOT selling something which can be expected to run out in a week or so. Those other merchants (the ones whose products don't get used up quick) would get no stars from me for messing up my commission and then trying to appease my WRATH with a long cookie duration!

Of course, the best thing would be at least 10% commission AND an Eternal Cookie (and no reversals)...but if it's one or the other, I'll take the money right now. To use an old cliche, a bird in the hand...

Leader,

quote:
    a lot of the things I promote wouldn't bring repeat sales, at least not at such a fast rate

That is where the difference lies.

I'd rather have them come back and buy again and with sitstay ... they do! First order is about $35 and then the second is an average of $250, I don't know what the third one is .... but I'm sure it could also be $250 and that can be a nice piece of change with the extended cookie duration!

I tried the hit the market with high paying, short cookie and high ticket items but just got burned ... and big time! So I chose a more conservative and long term approach (it worked) and then add the high ticket link in an unobtrusive manner.

My best merchant is Tradename( YTD EPC $91.38 15% and 45 days ) ... hmmm I'd take 10% if they made it 120 or better yet .... 20% if the cookie was 15 days .... so I'd say it all depends on the product.

Haiko

Haiko:

If that's the case, then offer something at your site to make your visitor use your link instead, before going to the merchant's site.
    (something like dog's sticker, dog's doll, or even bone..hehehehehe... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img])))
    OR
    You can make your site so sticky, like having a discussion for pet owner that they will just use your site again to make a sale.

Just something to think about.

ABW Ambassador
    Macho Stix... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Had to laugh at that one when I saw SitStay.com.

quote:
    Finally a unique dog chew. These chews are made from, well how should we say this, BULL penises. We'll wait for you to stop laughing. ... ... Done? These are not rawhide chews. These are USDA Inspected and Approved meat chews.

Too Funny [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Regards,
    Dave

ABW Ambassador
    Cookies are hugely important. I just dropped all the clothing sites with very short cookies because there was a clear correlation between cookie length and sales.

Frankly I never really cared until the downturn in the internet economy. But that was ok because it forced us to look more closely at the finer points of affiliate marketing and diversify.

quote:
    4" NotSo Macho Stix
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

phil i have a question for you

i think i remember reading at the cj forum that you where going to dump underperforming affiliates from your giftree advertiser program

why? :confused:

Hi Haiko,

quote:
    My best merchant is Tradename( YTD EPC $91.38 15% and 45 days )

I see they went all year without any chargebacks then BANG22% for this month already. What do you think gives there?

Take Care,

Gifttree.com, now it rings the bell. I needed a new coffee merchant after Seattle's Finest left, and applied across the board to a bunch of merchants. Well, the ones who make me wait for approval always run the risk that I'll find what I need sooner. In the mean time I decided to try a different merchant and see how the CR went. Then about a week or more ago I got a notice in my box that I had been dropped from GiftTree because I had no banners on any of my sites (it's true, it's true, it's true).

Boy, it's a good thing some of the merchants that I really perform for didn't drop me while I was getting the idea of how to market them, building the page, putting up the ppcs and then figuring out a keyword phrase to target on Google to really drive the traffic in!

I hope that some of the other merchants have more patience. I have two merchants that haven't gotten enough traffic from the ppc ads I have up, and I hope they don't flee before next month when the almighty google traffic should pick up.

You never know when your affiliate is finally going to get some of the rules of the game to work!

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, that is true. I had one merchant, not long after the Open market Place with the epc rating went into effect, dropped me for not bringing them any traffic - I didnt have any of their links up on my site. So, how does that effect their epc? Anyhoo, I did have plans on using them, but due to their lack of patience, and before I could work them into my site, they terminated my partnership with them. Oh well.

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: Big Chuck ]

So how much money are you going to save by reducing the cookie from 45 days to 30 days?

Just curious...

ABW Ambassador
    These cookie and commission reductions that CJ is suggesting to advertisers are bullshot.

In the case of cookies, unless it is a well know brand like amazon.com, the visitors would have never even heard of the advertiser if it were not for us.

Also, is it true that when the cookie is reduced that wipe out the previouslt set cookie? What a scam.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    These cookie and commission reductions that CJ is suggesting to advertisers are bullshot.

Did Commission Junction actually suggest that to advertisers? can this be confirmed? Enquiring minds want to know.

Big Chuck,

It appears that advertisers learned how to screw publishers at CJU. Check out Austin Powers' post in the Commission Junction or Commission Suction thread.

quote:
    Originally posted by Commission King:
    Big Chuck,

It appears that advertisers learned how to screw publishers at CJU. Check out Austin Powers' post in the Commission Junction or Commission Suction thread.

OK Now I am Pissed ..... WTF do they [CJ] think they are doing!

THAT IS PURE BULLPUCKY!

Haiko

[ Anger Edited ]

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: Haiko ]

They probably learned about chargebacks too at CJU.

So far it looks like advertisers learned at CJU,

Reduce your commissions
    Reduce your cookie durations
    Increase your chargebacks

ABW Ambassador
    As to suggestions...

Please note that I am not suggesting your sites run afoul in the following manner, just that these are problems I've run into recently and ones to be avoided.

1. Provide a text link that actually says something about your company. A good, descriptive, 2-3 sentence, selling link. Don't force me to hunt through your meta tags (you'd be surprised how many sites don't even have them) to try to find decent copy about your site. I will occasionally write copy for sites that inspire me, but if I'm promoting 200 different sites, I don't have time to come up with interesting copy for the 10 different gift sites I'm promoting on various days/products/sites. And I'm the sales person, you're the marketer -- it's up to you to give me my selling points.

2. Keep your product links up-to-date. I've run into so many bum product links, I am now compelled to check every product link I use. And I still got nailed by a link that was valid when I put it up, but bombed the next day (and is still available for use when it simply doesn't work). Can you say "buh-bye" to that advertiser? I can.

2a.For gosh sakes, kill dated offers at the end of the offer. I almost posted this really hot offer to my site today... until I realized the deadline for participation was in the first week of October (not a CJ link either, a privately run affiliate program, NO REASON for the link to still be available).

2b. Product links should go to product pages. I'm dropping a merchant today for non-compliance. Some (and only some) of their product links go to the front page of their site... They were going to be featured in a high promotion area of my site -- not going to happen now. One of their competitor's will get the business.

3. I don't have a problem with advertisers dropping sites for non-performance, but 1) give us a warning -- maybe we're promoting someone else heavily and was intending to get back to you... a warning might encourage us to get back to you a little sooner, and 2) give the dropped site a valid email address to appeal the decision. I have a brand new site that will probably be a low performer for several months. I expect it to be a high-performer in the long run, but in this biz, that doesn't happen over night. If everyone dropped me for non-performance, I couldn't get this business off the ground.

Additionally, some of us actually plan ahead and I may request to join a program in October because they've got items I want to blitz in December. If they drop me in November, we both lose.

4. With product links, give decent descriptions of the product (something I think GiftTree already does remarkably well). Another merchant I'm going to drop has what appear to be great products -- and crappy descriptions. But they have GREAT desciptions on their web site. How does withholding this info from affiliates help their sales? I have no clue and can't be bothered to find out. Buh-bye.

5. With EVERY email that you send, include the URL (at least) to your advertiser detail page. In my part of the world, the CJ site is slow and cumbersome. Having to click through three screens (and possibly perform a search while standing on my head under a full moon) to get to an advertiser is sometimes too big an ordeal for the offer they're making... if there was a direct link...

6. Provide an email for contact other than that dreadful CJ mail system. Many of us have our doubts about the reliability of that system (with the history to support those doubts) and when you don't respond, we don't know if you 1) DIdn't receive the email; 2) Are ignoring us; 3) Don't care what your affiliates think; 4) etc etc... if we had an email address we could at least rule out 1). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

7. Answer emails. I joined one private affiliate program where even after getting my approval and login code, I can't bloody figure out how to pick direct product links... and I'm not an idiot. I wrote the affiliate master a very polite inquiry and claimed please-help-me-doltness... three business days later and no response. No problem. There are other programs that carry his same products.

8. Don't assume the affiliate is either your slave or inferior. So many advertisers appear to believe they are doing you a favor by allowing you into their precious program. There is no one affiliate program that will make or break my success. If you treat me badly, you're history.

9. Less than a 30 day cookie, you better have some fine fine merchandise with a short sales cycle and a high profit-margin.

...hmmm... that all sounds so negative... but I've been working long hours with too many different advertisers in the past two weeks and I do believe I've gotten a bit cranky. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

a couple more suggestions...

1. do not treat us like welfare scroungers, we work hard, we can make you a millionaire or we can take you down

2. dont drop publishers, period!
    people hide their urls at these forums because they dont want others to steal their success, i used to hide mine because i was so embarassed at how little my pages earned

all that has changed for me now as well as for many others, if you drop us now before we choose to promote you, you will be the loser
    also, if someone is "underperforming" and only sending you the occasional sale and you dont appreciate it, you are "going bad" and the word about bad merchants gets around these days
    also, those underperforming affiliates will probably be the only ones that keep your links up if you upset those that are generating your real revenue

3. if a banner expires replace it with a new one with the same filename so the new banner automatically shows in place of the old one for those who missed your email

4. dont expose anyones url, if you have an affiliate of the month then you need their permission to publish their url in your newsletter

5. be true to yourself, if you cant look us in the eye and openly justify what you are doing, dont do it!

6. answer questions at forums if you want us to answer yours

7. have a nice day [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

sorry if any of this comes across as harsh but if merchants realised these things there would be much more harmony and prosperity for everyone involved

[EDIT]

AND: please make sure your page loads fast

[/EDIT]

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: austin powers ]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast