View Poll Results: Which is a fair way to set affiliate cookies?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • the first one always owns a visitor, cookie should stick

3 10.71%
  • the last one always owns a visitor, cookie should be overwritten

25 89.29%
    What do you think is the best / most acceptable way to manage affiliate cookies for any given visitor.

Let's assume a scenario (a common one for programs with feeds):
    A visitor searches for "red wooden widgets, brand x" and gets a list of results, two of which are the sites of affiliate linking to a particular merchant.
    That visitor goes through the serps and clicks through to the merchant from each of the affiliates' sites.

The visitor finially comes back later on to the merchant's site and places an order.

Which one of the affiliates should get the commission?

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com

[This message was edited by bcc on September 12, 2003 at 09:26 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    The last one should always get the cookie. If the first one would have done there job correctly the site visitor wouldn't have went to another site.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I have intentionally NOT signed up for a program since they had it as the first one gets credit for the sale. Leaves it open for way too many abuse possabilities I feel. A program running as such allows people with high non related traffic, suspicious traffic or motives(such as those domain parking places ) and others to do nothing to create a sale only to FORCE cookies. If you type in the wrong name a redirect takes you to pop up hell where a cookie can easily be set. Would you want to work a program where it had nothing to do with how you promote it, but only if you can be the most unscrupulous in how you can force a cookie on a visitor.
    It's bad enough already with the cookie pushing forces as is such as the coupon-coupon-couponcodes.com type places pushing this type of non clicked cookie setting crap.

First click for a sale...never on my sites

Wow this post almost sounds like one of Mikes already.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

WW, you'd need to mention BHO's and Charlie would need to chime in first.

Well guys, thanks for the input.
    I've changed the way my software handles cookies, but to tell you the truth - until I saw the poll results and talked to a few guys in the chat room, I was sure affiliates would prefer number 1.

Again, thanks.

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    WW ...can you hear me now!

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Last.

If the visitor is looking to buy later, and lands at a different affiliate site, it sure seems like they are shopping (evaluating) again - or if you will, making a new decision about what to buy.

Also, a visitor might find my site the best for that "widget," visited last and buy.

If you go to Chevy dealer #1, #2, and finally #3, and the best deal is at #3, then #3 should get the commission - not #1. If #2 was the best deal, the shopper would go back to that dealer and #2 would get the commission anyway, just as a site visitor would give you the commission - it's still the last site visited.

Let's not get confused with a cookie planted on the visitor's machine from your site, and goes back directly to the merchant a week later. We all know where the commission belongs

Fred

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>You might just be a Parasite if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"</font>

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Walleye said!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

The last site visited should get the sale.

Unless the last site was visited because of a pop-up reminder, a flashing icon, or one of the other parasitic programs. In that case, no tamale.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    @ Mike and Charlie
    Did I do a good job on my post above???? You hadn't responded yet and thought I could substitute a temporary answer first.
    I just couldn't figure out how to impliment a BHO reference though. I have a long way to go to learn how to.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread