View Poll Results: How long did it take to quit your day job?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-6 months

9 33.33%
  • 6-12 months

7 25.93%
  • 1 year-2 years

6 22.22%
  • 2-5 years

5 18.52%
  • 5-15 years or above.

0 0%
    This is for those who make enough to quit your day job currently. How long did it take you from your very first day of putting up links(first page) how long did it take you to give the goodbye never coming back message to your work shift (manager or Supervisor) meaning how long did it take you to quit your day job or night job

Never had a day job, except for my kids and house.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    I started doing this on the side of my real job and took a little risk and just quit. At the time i was making less than $200. I thought my future competition missed a lot of things and that if i went at it full time, i could make some money. Now i'm happy i took that risk. However there is a time, different for different people, where if you're not progressing, this just isn't for you and maybe should be considered as extra income instead of your main source.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    It took me 10 months. When I quit I was making around 17K-$20K a month. =:0 But low and behold I would have to be the horror story on ABW for those that quit the day job and then lost 90% of the affiliate income afterward - all because of the yahoo switch. Now I'm only making around $2,000K per month with affiliate marketing but I never gave up and now I'm prosperous Power Seller on Ebay making a very handsome profit doing that as well. It makes up for the loss - but boy do I miss the way things use to be.

"Not until you open your eyes, will you see the pot at the end of the rainbow - So Dream Big or Don't Dream at All"

JadaKiss

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Like Trust, I quit almost immediately after putting up the first link and never looked back. I hadn't even gotten a check from aff. marketing yet!

Fortunately, a few months later I started making more at affiliate marketing than I had at ANY j*b!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

I think quitting may have more to do with if you are the sole supporter of your family than it does with the income you make. Some people may only need to make a few hundred a month while others need thousands.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with jane. If you are the sole breadwinner and have a mortgage to pay and a family to feed, you'd have to think very carefully about quitting.

If you only have to pay for your personal expenses, then you could quit much sooner.

well Lets say you are single...do not have to take care of a family.. and only have to pay rent, bills, and food. $1600 a month.. How long woould that take if you got one new page up a day and a new site up each month?

ABW Ambassador
    At the rate you are going, as soon as google fully indexes your sites, plus 2 or 3 more months?

Oh that would be sweet! More pages going to build right now!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> $1600 a month.. How long woould that take if you got one new page up a day and a new site up each month? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tsk...it's not how *much* w*rk you do, but how *effective* it is!

For instance, consider these scenarios: you may find a good merchant that doesn't reverse, DOES pay a decent commission, and has something people want. And then put the pages up. And, repeat this pattern until you can quit Un-SafeWay. THIS is the profitable scenario.

Or you can just bang out pages willy-nilly with a goal of "putting up a page a day." Without the proper research behind it, this is unlikely to make a significant amount of money. To hit a target, first you must AIM at it. If you aim at "a page a day," you'll hit it! Problem is, your REAL TARGET (GOAL) is NOT "a page a day"--it's $1600/month!!!

Needless to say, how long it'll take to hit $1600/month depends on: What you're promoting, whether anyone wants it, what kind of listings you get once the pages are made and indexed, and whether the merchant's any good. Of course, you do have to get the pages up there, but the actual typing is the last step of a more extensive process.

Note: If you can actually find a good merchant, research them, research their product's desireability, and write a decent page every day--then good for you! But the way you worded your question hints that you were thinking more along the lines of, "crank out a page every day like a machine whether you're mind's on it or not!"

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Very true Leader, Quality is the key... Description... keywords, etc... Making good quality sites!

My aff income is double what I bring home from my regular job, but it's not time to quit yet.

You will find 1600 a month does not go far when you have to pay your own taxes and insurance. Search engine rankings change or your best merchants drop out and money stops flowing. Risky business...

I'm keeping my job for the time being. All aff money goes back into the biz or into the bank. When I hit 5000 a month for a year, I will consider quitting. Then again, I don't work at Un-Safeway.

ABW Ambassador
    I had been working as a computer consultant for several years and upon discovering affiliate marketing, found that I no longer actively looked for additional work. Slowly but surely I let my contracts lapse without renewal and have never looked back since.

Sure there is a lot more instant money to be made consulting but now my hours are my own and the sites stay open 24/7 barring Hosting failures and acts of god.

The biggest puller for me was realising that this was something with no borders requiring no fixed place of work

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Know Google as you know yourself and you will live to fight many battles - Sun Tzu</font>

ABW Ambassador
    Because your income is not guaranteed and you are looking at wild seasonal fluctuations...

You need to make your decision on the amount of cash you have in the bank and not on a month's paycheck. I've heard advice that people should have two years in living expenses saved up before venturing off to start a company.

sound thinking

yintercept, sounds like good advice

of course most affiliates never get to quit their day jobs, just look at how much commission you need to hit 5 bars at CJ

[This message was edited by midnightcoder on September 19, 2003 at 12:33 PM.]

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread