View Poll Results: Who's best at hosting affiliate marketing websites?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't know

3 60.00%
  • Fill in the Blank (preferred)

2 40.00%
    I have a long history in designing websites. I only recently gained an interest in marketing on the internet and did some experimentation. Instead of designing my own site, I developed a niche content site using Site Build It so I could get experience with newsletters, etc. It's a nice package, but even with the new features, it's way too cumbersome for the ideas I have.

Given that I'm a programmer (and pretty comfortable with databases, scripting and HTML), what should I be looking for to host an affilitate marketing oriented site? Who do you use and why?

Here's what I think I need:
    1. Database - for product content and/or to manage my affiliate relationships.
    2. Front Page/ASP Support
    3. Newsletter management, autoresponders
    4. Search engine submission? Pay per Click management?
    5. Email accounts / web interface

I could add features of Site Build It as wish list items, but they have them at the expense of ease of use. What am I missing? Where can I find a good host? TIA!

Regards,
    MikeB

Wow, this must be a closely guarded secret.

Regards,
    MikeB

Well um what's your question again?

I see you're looking for ASP and database support. I assume you would be looking for MS SQL Server?

That's going to push the price up by quite a bit, and make it much more difficult to find a multi-domain virtual hoster. You will probably have to rent a box and pay for the MS licenses on it to get what you are looking for.

I had a similar dilemna - and eventually decided to move over to PHP and MySQL which is available on tons of hosts. Not only cheaper, but if a hosting service starts to fall off in service, it's very easy to find a suitable replacement.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

You ask who is the best at hosting the AM website?

Check out THMedia! They have a forum here.

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

ABW Ambassador
    I use oneandone.co.uk

I have 30+ domains hosted on one account, plus 600 available sub-domains. Two MySQL databases are included. My websites are never down (at least not that I am aware (and I have a script to tell me when a site goes down) unlike other hosts I have been with guaranteeing 99.5% uptime). 40GB transfer is included, plus 1200MB storage and autoresponders etc etc etc. Check thm out. How much does this cost me?

£16.99 per month hosting fee. That is about $27 a month.

Yo cannot beat their reliablility, and that in my book is worth much more than I pay for hosting. Notice I did not supply an affiliate link?

Check out the oneandone.co.uk business package.

Download Site Map Creator Today

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Look4:
    I see you're looking for ASP and database support. I assume you would be looking for MS SQL Server?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I definitely don't want to use my own box. Is ASP going to be a problem with providers hosting MySQL databases?

Why PHP over ASP? Is it going to be tough finding a MySQL host that provides ASP support?

Regards,
    MikeB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Check out THMedia! They have a forum here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew I had read about them here about 6 months ago! I just haven't been keeping up because of a new job. Thanks for reminding me.

Regards,
    MikeB

perfectG,

I will definitely check them out. Thanks!

Regards,
    MikeB

ABW Ambassador
    MikeB, many providers offer mysql with asp (i just have no recent exp with hosters that way so no suggestions for you), as that is how ensim (a control panel) and other panels packages it. I imagine many will be moving to all the loveliness that is .net soon as well.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Just a quick update. Just checked oneandone.co.uk and they have upped the web space to 2GB (from 1200MB). Not sure about your ASP requirements though. You would need to check.

The fact this company is US based has put a lot of US webmasters off. However, the only thing you will miss is cheap phone support. I have only used support (via e-mail) about 4 times in over 6 years.

I also use oneandone.co.uk's business package and am quite happy with it.

I think it must have been one of perfectG's recommendations way back that led me to them.

thanks, perfectG...

ABW Ambassador
    Radegast
    Glad they are working out for you. Even happier that I recommended them. They are a great hosting company! Maybe I should get my affiliate link out of retirement.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeB:

Why PHP over ASP? Is it going to be tough finding a MySQL host that provides ASP support?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

I moved off Windows to Linus for paid hosting. It always seems you pay a small premium for Windows hosting, and a much larger premium to add SQL server to it.

I still prefer Windows convenience for development though. It just wasn't worth it to me to learn a whole new OS, and have to refamiliarize myself with a whole new vocabulary of command line options.

So I use my W2K box at home, and loaded up the windows versions of PHP and MySQL. The installs went silky smooth, and everything I write at home (provided I use the "Globals Off" programming style) works just fine when I upload it to the Linux servers at just about any hosting company.

I found PHP to be just as easy, if not easier, than ASP, and file access is very easy to manage and program to. The PHP install package includes all the language reference matrials in a .cmh help file. As far as book, the hands-down best is SAMS PHP and MySQL Web Development. The well documented code samples are worth it alone.

That's my 2 Euro cents. This may not be the direction you were thinking of heading, but it's something to at least consider.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

Thanks everyone!

Regards,
    MikeB

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread