View Poll Results: Merchant Contact

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never, all of my AM contacts have been positive

4 30.77%
  • Have had rough times with AMs, but never tossed out a program.

3 23.08%
  • Occasionally a weird AM wigs out. For the most part positive.

1 7.69%
  • Happens enough to really make me not want to contact AMs.

2 15.38%
  • I no longer bother contacting merchants and only use the program.

3 23.08%
    ABW Ambassador
    Affiliates, how often does your contacting a merchant or Affiliate Manager with questions or direction result in a punishment or in getting kicked out of a program?

ABW Ambassador
    I can only guess you're having problems in this area posting a question like this.

I dont like "your answers" so I'll give you mine.

I've never been kicked because of a question.

If a merchant is not responsive in the first place (I usually try and communicate with them before applying) then I don't waste my time.

If you deal with "responsive merchants" and are upfront with them from the start you should bypass the problems you're experiencing.

I don't know what kinds of questions you're asking to get booted but I can only guess they aren't the kind merchants want to hear or the kind of tactics they want in their program.

Why don't you give some examples .

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!
    ===============================

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I haven't been punished for contacting a program, but then, I don't contact them too much. I believe that if a program is working right, it shouldn't need "high maintenance." And if it's NOT working right, it's usually something that contact isn't going to fix anyway.

I believe that programs should be like cars--they shouldn't need much messing with in order to keep them running. An occasional look under the hood is fine, but when it takes messing with the carbeurator(sp?) every morning to get it going it's time for a new one.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    More profound words from Leader! I don't think I've seen an anology that good for awhile.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I believe that programs should be like cars--they shouldn't need much messing with in order to keep them running. An occasional look under the hood is fine, but when it takes messing with the carbeurator(sp?) every morning to get it going it's time for a new one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I use it, if I ever need to with a merchant, as long as I give you credit?

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    <FONT size="1">ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage :: zZounds
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: Roadloans :: More Programs Coming Soon!
    </font>

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with Leader. Affiliate Marketing should not be resource intensive. My outbox shows only a dozen times that I've contacted merchants.

I've actually started wondering if I shouldn't be making a bigger effort to contact merchants.

Early on, I had the experience that asking questions from the merchant resulted in getting booted from the program as a trouble maker. The sites that kicked me out all have gone under, so they weren't a big loss. Happypoon is correct that if the communications are bad, the program is probably bad as well.

The question I want to ask several merchants at the moment is: why did you reject site XXX when it is essentially the same as approved site YYY just targetted to a different market? The answer will either be to approve site XXX or to cancel YYY.

I actually enjoy and appreciate merchant contact. I have met some of the nicest people. I guess it gets pretty lonely sitting here working all the time and I enjoy the contact.
    I have seen a lot of programs improve just by my imput, things like links available and stuff.

I have been booted from programs before, but that was after informing them about the whole ebates issue about a year ago and they obviously didn't like anyone saying anything about their favorite affiliate. Those programs were no great loss...

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

me too I have some problems with this too merchants drop me for no reason. Don't even bother to contact me. but I don't care. NEXT PLEASE!

Jason

xtremeshopping.org

aim: ssn jason

"Some people stay away from the door for the chance of it opening up- Billy Joel, An Innocent Man

I have one merchant right now that is NOT responsive and I am beginning to look at alternatives. They have been a concern for me anyway since the 're-appearance' of all of the sale hijacking (not that it ever went entirely away)

The AM responds to about every fifth email and even then doesn't seem responsive to my needs.

I have not been 'kicked out' by any merchant and the majority of the AMs I work with are quite good. Just like everything else, sometimes one bad seed spoils it for everyone.

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    --Mark Twain

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Can I use it, if I ever need to with a merchant, as long as I give you credit?~Linda <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure--hopefully it'll keep some merchants from becoming pesty!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    Some of the here at abestweb showed me the ropes to making sales through affiliate marketing. I'm glad I contacted them.

Parasites are thieves. What are you going to do about it?

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    We've rigged up out Email so that if Jason mails us more than 4 times day his account is suspended for 3 days

But seriously, even if someone contacts me and tells me program sucks I'm unlikely to remove them unless they get abusive. Even people I've temp rejected on application, I amm 99% likely to reverse that if they mail me and ask why and how they can correct what I didn't like (usually a Gator install)

Cheers

Chris

<font size="1"> Web Studio-1 Solutions.
    http://www.webstudio-1.com

All Programs :- Low Threshold : High Return Days : Excellent Support : 100% Parasite Free
    Mondera.com : Netmagazines.com : Pierced Body : Irish Photo Shop : DateCam.com : Vegas Experts

<FONT COLOR=red size="1"> A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again. Alexander Pope </font></font>

Affiliate Manager
    Ditto here. Our top affiliates require little hand-holding, and it's just a matter of being there when they need us. I may check in with our top guys once every other week or so, but my main visibility is within our CollectiblesToday forum.

However, I do get rather angry if I find out an affiliate is using unethical means to take advantage of our program...that's a straight-up no no.

Carolyn Tang
    Affiliate Manager
    CollectiblesToday.com
    e: ctang@collectiblestoday.com
    p: (847) 581-8939
    f: (847)581-8922
    Yahoo IM: carolyn_collectiblestoday

I find that when I contact merchants I get one of 2 responses. First, a very positive one (especially from ABW merchants so far) or second there is no response.

I am tempted to think that when I get no response it's because my sales have not been great with that merchant and hence they don't have the time to bother. But recently I sent out some requests and was rewarded to see that there are many AMs out there that are willing to help when asked, even if I'm not one of their "super affiliates".

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. - Bill Cosby

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread