7 53.85%
  • no, that does not make a difference

2 15.38%
  • haven't tried it, but think it's a good idea

1 7.69%
  • haven't tried it, but think it's a bad idea

3 23.08%
    This question is for affiliates.
    Do you guys find affiliate links that allow one to add a product to the merchant's cart and display the cart in one step useful?

Just to clarify:
    You display a product on your site and a link or a button "Add To Cart". When visitor clicks on the button, he is transferred to the merchant's shopping cart page with that item already added.

Added: I don't mean this as a replacement, but as an alternative. Which can be used together with regular links.

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com
    "All your affiliate are belong to us"

[This message was edited by bcc on October 06, 2003 at 11:11 AM.]

[This message was edited by bcc on October 06, 2003 at 11:20 AM.]

No no no, I think it's completely counterproductive. I have one merchant who does that and I'm convinced that it damages sales.

The problem is this.. the link on the publisher site tends to be quite basic and not have much information, if you link through the to descriptive page on the merchant site, the visitor will have a much clearer idea about the product. Going straight to the basket skips the informative step and is a bit brutal.

If the visitor like the product, they'll buy it, even with an extra step.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Even if it's added as an alternative, not as a replacement?

What if you have a product page that has a link "More info" and a button "Add to cart" - that way the visitor could choose.

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com

As an alternative is a much better idea. I guess if you combine it with a good datafeed too, then it gives the opportunity to create almost fully-working stores without much effort.

________

Nice signature by the way, bcc.

________

Thanks on the sig. It just hit me not a long time ago while I was playing some flash game waiting for stats to compile

When it comes from a datafeed based page, that is product specific - then yes.

If it is traffic from a banner or something else, advertising "products" and not "a product" then no.

Fred

You might just be a Spammer if - Your welcome mat says, "You'd better have a search warrant."

Having a "add to cart" & "more info" buttons available =

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

Cornerhardware is one of the companies that offer that and I love it!

One issue that can be confusing - Branding.

From time to time I get calls from customers that want to know where there item is, etc.

It can be confusing, our technicians are trained to contact the merchant on behalf of the customer to prevent confusion. I must admit at first the warehouse staff was confused saying "we don't sell underwear". Now everyone is trained.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Fact of life senerio. Affiliate in some lawless country acquires multiple merchant datafeeds for nothing. Builds out 50 sites with spoofed USA Whois addresses for 8.95 each and cheap virtual hosting and 2 days later has the sites populated and submits to Goggle. Google & Froogle Gods respond feeding on 50- 10,000 page sites with buy buttons leading to a central hosted shopping cart for 10.00 extra hosting fee per month.

Perp sits back gathers in thousands of good Credit cards by lowering prices with the shopping cart script and all the customer info to go with each UNDELIVERED ORDER. Sells off info for daily cash and then repeats process under different assumed names. LOL.... as the AM or merchant hasn't a clue to what's happening....IMHO.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Hmm, and the links to the shopping cart have something to do with this because ...?

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Problem is, most feeds don't provide two destination URLs.

If there was a choice, it may be good. But if the only product-specific link goes to the shopping cart--what Dynamoo said. I myself have only encountered one merchant that just slapped the item in the cart with no further details--and their conversion ratio STANK to no end!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Leader, I'm sure if it's the only option it would do more harm than good.

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    Problem is, most feeds don't provide two destination URLs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If someone cannot add a column (mysql)or enable html within their database, then its not a well written database.

Corner hardware had a normal looking cart, when added you could click a link so you could see your item again, (the one more look option), again it’s all in how the program is written.

Any cart that does not explain what’s in it is not a well-written cart.

On my database I added "BuyURL" and URL. I do not always utilize the Buy URL but its there if I ever need it. All I have to do is place < % BuyUrl % < to my template and its done.

forgot Haiko added html to this.

ABW Ambassador
    My main concern would be with affiliates adding things to shopping carts with a popup or other deceptive trick. If I were a merchant, I would feel better creating a branded site...to control the whole experience and not just a pop to shopping cart.

sound thinking

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread