View Poll Results: Do you promote coupons to your visitor?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 68.97%
  • No

9 31.03%
    Do you promote coupons to your users or e-newsletter recipients?

ABW Ambassador
    I suspect the typical affiliate loses more by those stupid little promo boxes in the check out screen than any other diversionary tactic.

You go through a great deal of effort to make a sale, but then at the last minute the customer is confronted with a blank box they have to fill in.

My guess is that about 1 in 10 customers will stop their purchase and start searching the net for a coupon. A good number of the customers will come back through the coupon site. Many of the people who go on a coupon hunt will never come back...lost sale.

Blank promo boxes in the shopping cart probably do more to kill sales than any other design error on a site.

If a merchant is using coupons, they should be smart and ask for the coupons before purchases are made. The whole purpose of a coupon is to cynch the sale. A promo box in the check out does the opposite...it causes the customer to rethink the sale.

I personally think the best way to handle a coupon is have a separate entry for the promo. This mechanism takes less effort on the part of the end user than having to type a promo code into a box and it does not cut into the sales processs.

A promo box in a check out screen is the worst way of handling the sales process.

Promo boxes in the check out screen cause a big problem for affiliates that don't use coupons. Affiliates wanting to avoid coupons are stuck. They either add a coupon or lose a tenth of their sales.

Unfortunately the promo box coupons create false data that stupid AMs fall for. The promo box stops sale dead in its track. The customer goes through the net to find a coupon. The coupon site has an iframe that resets the cookie. The stupid AM then thinks it is eBates coupon type site that made the sale.

Unfortunately, there is not a lost sale due to coupon report that merchants read. If they saw that report, they would be horrified and order their marketer out in to the parking lot for a quick execution.

ABW Ambassador
    If the merchant you're working with has them, use them.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

No. Unless the affiliate program offers coupons to their customers.

Promote your site for free: http://www.venister.org/
    Get Cash Now While Rates Are Low
    http://www.uk-loans-mortgages.com/financial_services/

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Single biggest step any merchnat can make to eliminate cart abandonment is to eliminate the coupon/promo section in their checkout process. No study done by any online merchandising group has proven this to be false.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by promotenow:
    No. Unless the affiliate program offers coupons to their customers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even when the affiliate offers coupons. The customer forgets the code and has to go off on the internet to search for a coupon. Coupon sites do annoying things like open a new window to stop this, but it still happens.

Hassles with promo boxes are a major reason why customers sign up for eBates. They hate having to copy and paste confusing codes...Joining eBates solves the promo code problems.

How many sales has your precious little coupon site lost because the hassles of promo codes is slowly corraling the world into eBates?

The really sad thing is there is no reason whatsoever for a promo code box. Rather than having a promo code box, merchants can have special entry URLs that record that the user came in via a coupon. The entry URL would set a session cookie, and the customer is good to go.

It is easy to advertise such promos in magazines. You simply give the URL as www.myMerchantSite.com/XYZpromo

With promo links, merchants are better in a position to control affiliates. For example, lets say you run a full page ad in the New York Times for your shop. You would have the promo say: myMerchantSite.com/NYTIMES . The promo page would set the cookie and delete any affiliate cookies.

The promo code box puts a step in the checkout that can kill a sale.

Replacing the promo code box with promo URLs gives the merchant the ability to only give promos to the audience they select.

sound thinking

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    Single biggest step any merchnat can make to eliminate cart abandonment is to eliminate the coupon/promo section in their checkout process. No study done by any online merchandising group has proven this to be false.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any study proven this to be true?

IamJaloppy

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Any study proven this to be true?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tested people's use of different shopping carts. A good portion of people stopped and wanted to know what to put in the promo code box. The fact that it stopped the flow of the purchase makes me sure that they are not good for conversion rates.

Although it would be real easy to test. You would just have to run a few thousand people through a version of the shopping cart with the promo code box and a few thousand without.

If you know a merchant that will let me do this test and will let me publish the results, I would be more than happy to do so.

In the past, I proposed several tests that merchants could do to see if the promo code box is a sale killer. The stores never gave me the data from the test, they simply yank the promo code box from their site as fast as they possibly can.

If you know a merchant that would let me publish their conversion ratios with and without the box, I would be more than happy to do a test.

My biggest gripe about coupons. I am currently running one that says enter code at checkout. When you click checkout they ask for all your cc info etc and there is no place to enter it I guess until you get to the final check out screen. People don't want to give the info if they are not sure they are getting the discount, cart is showing full price for item. They get confused and leave.

Just Lurking
    I've gotten a couple of coupon notices but they were only good for one or two days. Is this a normal life span for a coupon? Seems short.

[This message was edited by Buddha on October 20, 2003 at 09:03 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> good for one or two days <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i do not bother to post such ST offer.

and quite a lot of merchants send out such ST coupon notice late.
    already expired or just a few hours to remain active when you get such codes in your mail box.

i just delete the email. Completely waste of time !

i suggest min. length at least 3 days and
    send to affiliates at least one day in advance.

http://8n.nu

[disclaimer]
    Not a promotional recruiting post

When I set up the coupon system for BigDaddySmokes (see forum here) I specifically set it up so that the coupon codes were also hardcoded links (with auto setting in the cart) without entering the code as well as allowing for the traditional enter coupon code stuff as an option.
    [/disclaimer]

It's bogus that a merchant does not also provide a hard coded link that allows for automatic crediting of the coupon code in the cart. I'd absolutely agree that the conversion rate does go down because the end user does expect the discount to be auto applied and when it isn't they back track and could be the victim of parasitic pop ups or frustration which would lead to abandonment.

The latest I heard was that 75-80% of the carts are abandoned, and I believe this coupon issue to be a major contributing factor to such.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Just Lurking
    Next time I get a linkless coupon offer I think I'll send it back with an explaination of why this kind of promotion is bad for me and the merchant. If nothing else I may get to know some of these non-ABW AM's.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread