View Poll Results: Online products v Local products

12. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would never buy software that ran online

5 41.67%
  • I would consider buying online software if it was really useful

2 16.67%
  • I would consider buying online software but would prefer if the software ran on my own computer instead.

4 33.33%
  • I prefer software that runs online rather than local software that bloats my hard disk.

1 8.33%
    ABW Ambassador
    OK, we have all seen them. Sotware that runs in a web browser and means you have to connect to a web site to use. Often this software comes with monthly subscriptions. If you are unsure what I mean, have a look at this example:

Keyword Site Builder

My question is simple. Would you buy and online product, or do you prefer software you run on your own PC. Would love to know why as well.

Download Site Map Creator Today

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Heh heh heh, "keyword site builder"! Better not put it on a site that you care about getting banned!

But as for the real question--would I buy software that only runs online--No, except under extreme circumstances! When I spend my money, I not only want the software running here on my PC, I prefer to have the CD instead of just a download. (That way if something happens to the computer or I get a new one, I can just pop in the disk again instead of having to redownload, get a new key, etc.) [I have some software that doesn't come on a CD, but if the price was high I'd insist on the disk!]

The only exception I can see is for something like WordTracker. I wouldn't want to have to download their huge database every time I wanted to run a query! So leaving the data on their servers and then querying it through their interface/program online seems to be the best solution.

Other than that, though, no thanks to software running online.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

[This message was edited by Leader on November 06, 2003 at 07:05 AM.]

in the PhillyBurbs!
    What Leader said.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

Ditto to what Leader said,

Simple thought: if I bought it I want it!
    If its a lease: when I'm done with it then you can have it back!

Home base: Pennsylvania
    What I like and don't like doesn't really matter. What does matter is what my visitors will do.

My biggest revenue generator is an online subscription-based product. It has very high commissions because they don't have to produce and ship anything.

The key is that it is an IMMEDIATE solution to a visitor's problem.

I sell it along side a similar product that must be shipped that most people are already familiar with. The familiar product is what people search for - then when they find my site they see a solution that they don't have to wait for. I do sell a good number of the off-line products too, but the margin on them is smaller.

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread