View Poll Results: Fixed Width or Liquid Design?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Liquid design for sure! Who wants empty screen space?

7 46.67%
  • Fixed Width so my paragraphs don't turn into sentences at 1600x1200(loong stretch)

6 40.00%
  • huh..?

1 6.67%
  • you nerd, I just want to sell stuff

1 6.67%
    With my latest site I have been debating whether or not to use fixed width or liquid design.

At first I had no clue how to make it liquid so I built it completely with a fixed width to fit 800x600 perfectly and aligned left(absolute positioning without container div.. oops).

I recently figured out a liquid layout using absolute and relative positioning which can include a footer with a 3 column CSS layout(or seems to so far).

I can only test up to 1280x1024 or so resolution and it looks good for the most part. The only problem being IE6 not recognizing minimum width for when you use a REALLY small window.

My question is has anyone found it better to use fixed width over liquid designs(auto resize to fit whatever screen res)?

You can use fixed widths within a liquid design.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    You can use fixed widths within a liquid design. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

as it is now I have a 3 column layout with the left and right column being fixed width.. my logo and banner at top are absolutely positioned.

The only liquid part would be the creamy content center. What do you mean exactly by having fixed widths within a liquid design?

I like the liquid design because I don't have a HUGE open white space on the right side of my screen(or both sides if centered). Yet it's somewhat tricky with CSS when I want to absolutely position some elements yet others are liquid.. which throws off any symetry it once had

Been playing with the idea of having my menu float along the side so it's always accessible without scrolling back up.. that might open a can of compatibility worms though since I'm not too familiar with CSS yet.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm playing with a combo liquid design to expand at all resolutions together with a fixed table navigation design. Used to be I was getting less then 15% of visitors above 800x600 and now see 21% using higher screen resolutions.

www.ecomcity.com/watches.htm and www.ecomcity.com/systems.htm Test it at any resolution and keep your paws off the copy cat coding bit as I spent days on getting this right. I've been razed for years as having the ugliest site and totally unusable. Screw the critics I'm out to close customers with my BS pre-sell spin and telling the shopper to shove those Ad-nausium coupons and sleezy BHO rebates.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Been playing with the idea of having my menu float along the side so it's always accessible without scrolling back up.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are annoying as h*ll! It's a constant distraction to have something moving along with me as I scroll down a long page.

Plus, they remind me of the new floating ads that it's so hard to find the X on. Even when I realize it's the menu and not an ad, it's like a virtual mosquito hovering off to the side.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Been playing with the idea of having my menu float along the side so it's always accessible without scrolling back up.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are annoying as h*ll! It's a constant distraction to have something moving along with me as I scroll down a long page.

Plus, they remind me of the new floating ads that it's so hard to find the X on. Even when I realize it's the menu and not an ad, it's like a virtual mosquito hovering off to the side.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ehehe.. maybe I can somehow add a mosquito buzzing noise whenever it moves

it's supposed to look like a navigation frame according to description but since it floats I notice it sort of vibrates its way up and down the page. I guess I'll have to stick with the static menu.

ABW Ambassador
    Here's what I do

column A - fixed. usually 130px approx. side menu

Column B - Main content width is 100%, but I include a blank gif height=1 width=510. This means that the total width will never shrink to less than 760px (130+510+120) on a small window, and anything over that, this Column B will expand to suit window width. (I have my IE windows fully maximised.. none of this overlapping window business)

Column C - fixed 120 wide for other crap i may want to show.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
    Here's what I do

column A - fixed. usually 130px approx. side menu

Column B - Main content width is 100%, but I include a blank gif height=1 width=510. This means that the total width will never shrink to less than 760px (130+510+120) on a small window, and anything over that, this Column B will expand to suit window width. (I have my IE windows fully maximised.. none of this overlapping window business)

Column C - fixed 120 wide for other crap i may want to show.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

how do you prevent the right column from overlapping the center one? I tried z values which work fine but IE6 has a bug where background color(white) in a div makes graphics or text vanish(looks fine in mozilla).

When overlap occurs the background is transparent and the right column just sits under the text in the center column instead of vanishing (if I had a background color)

I'm using CSS with right and left column absolutely positioned to each side of the browser window so no matter how small I make the window the right column stays visible.(because no background color in center column due to IE bug..doh!)

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread