View Poll Results: Private Section on ABW?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 29.41%
  • No

10 29.41%
  • Maybe - only after I read about the benefits.

14 41.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Will you be willing to pay a small fee for a private section here on ABW to form an "Affiliates United Organization" (with benefits etc).

<big.I vote Yes.</big>

Why? , because I'm happy with all the knowledge I gain here in less than four months for free, that otherwise may have taken me longer to learn on my own.

So I figure that in a pay private section, I will probably will learn more faster and be able to make more money as an affiliate sooner than by learning on a free only section.

<big>This is the way I figured out:</big>

If Haiko came out with a very good pay private section for less than $19.95 a year, I will definitely will join, if later I don't like it, I will simply not renew my pay membership and just take it like I just pay for all the stuff I already learned for free here before in the last four months and still be happy.

I hope this poll will make a difference somehow

Jan72

I will be happy to pay $20 with or without the private section!

For me it's worth it and I and many others i'm sure are willing to help this board with or without private section.

I learn alot and get so much information and meet new people here and get ton's of advice and the AM (the good one) that participate here will bend backwards to help affiliate the best way they can to earn more revenue.

Helping Haiko in anyway is the best we all can do.

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

I'd never pay to join an affiliates "organization" as the participants are (almost) by definition disorganized

I'd guess Haiko does quite nicely out of the paid services on ABW already and I've certainly bought via a few of his affiliate links scattered around the place.

There's something about human nature that makes us want to club together, but I can't imagine an affiliate "club" ever working.

--------------
    Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    No. There isn't that much here that can't be found elsewhere.

ABW Ambassador
    This board is worth nothing without experienced affiliates coming here and offering their advice.

No experienced affilliates = no merchant draw, and not much appeal to newbies because of lack of current information.

At one point I was willing to pay a fee but I'm not now for reasons I'll just keep to myself.

Watch how quickly this thread dies from lack of comments - you'll not find to many people even willing to make a comment on this subject.

===================================
    Child labor laws exist yet, parasite partnering merchants (PP Merchants) and the COC allow an adult affiliates income to be diverted into the pockets of parasites and consider it normal business!

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants and the COC directly supports what many consider unfair trade practices, identity theft and thievery!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Yep, Haiko, whatever you need.

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Till ABW adopts my challenge to build out a ABW testbed Cybermall for ranking merchants daily performance with realtime stats this board will never unite on any subject. Too much greed driven cross adjendas and no way to even guarantee the private forum members aren't a fellow affiliate throat cutting competitor.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I would gladly pay.

The amount of good solid unbiased information I have picked up here has enabled me to multiply my earnings by aprox 22 times (and still rising) since I first started to come here 2 years ago.

I am eternaly grateful first to Haiko for setting ABW up in the first place, then to all the other ABW members that share their knowledge and help others not so well up in affiliate marketing or computer stuff as themselves...

Thanks to everyone of you, you have all contributed in some way to the overall appeal of these boards which in turn brings in new blood.

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    Till ABW adopts my challenge to build out a ABW testbed Cybermall for ranking merchants daily performance with realtime stats...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

Sending you a PM.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

What Gordon said

('cept I haven't multiplied my earnings 22-fold...)

I wouldn't mind paying a (not-too-big) subscription

ABW Ambassador
    Are you kidding about a "testbed"?

Mike just doesn't trust the other affiliates when talking about numbers because as it has been shown, he makes up his numbers to justify his points. Mike some of us post real numbers.

I am all for affiliates helping affiliates, but to purposefully create a site to test - which by the very nature to test means it must generate sales, which means what!?!?!

At least if it is built to mike's specs, it will not be competition, but to think that one site will show conversion is ludicrous. I guess for site's like mike's which are just merchant copy cut-n-pasted - you could duplicate that, but to think you could duplicate some of the quality copy other affiliates write??

This just feeds the growing mindset here. If an affiliate is making money, he is cheating or lying.

This is a bad, bad idea as it a)it will not serve any purpose, b)changes the whole idea of abw and the relationship the users have with it.

Chet

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Yes,

But only for the reason to help support ABW or "Haiko". I have learned allot in the last few months to that I will be appreciative.

-------------
    Crazy Guy
    disorganized
    -----------------

I agree CrazyGuy, this board does seem to be a little disorganized at times and that is because everyone has differences of opinion and therefore we can't all always "agree" (which is good, a free democracy). One of the "good" reasons for a membership board is just for that reason so that we can understand where everyone is coming from and be organized.

I do not agree that there has to be a "affiliate united" board where members are "hidden" behind "aliases" names etc. The merchants are not hidden so why should the members. I do respect the wishes of most who want to remain "anonymous" so that other affiliates do not go to their website(s) and take ideas for their own personal gain. This will always happen in any competitive industry. Eventually, you get caught. I see no big deal with any one knowing who you are. If we are going to be a "Affiliates United" then all United members must show that they are really "affiliates" and not just a Merchant or a "company" with a special interest collecting names, etc. Of course, in any board there are always going to be spies and people who just join only to see what you are saying and doing, and later use it against you or take ideas.

----------
    EcomCIty

Till ABW adopts my challenge to build out a ABW testbed Cybermall for ranking merchants daily performance with realtime stats this board will never unite on any subject. Too much greed driven cross adjendas and no way to even guarantee the private forum members aren't a fellow affiliate throat cutting competitor.
    -----------

I agree EcomCity, no merchant testing, greed, nothing private.

Its not going to be easy. It can be done.

My 2 for "United Affiliates" "Private Board" (whether paid or not)

1 - Only members that really are affilliates with real merchants links, etc on their site and that they are not a merchant themselves.

2 - Members must enter their real email, at least one (1) active main website which must must belong to same email address submitted to ABW. You can choose to hide this info from others if you like, until they have proven who they are and are also an active merchant affiliate.

3 - Haiko must verify info prior to alwing member join and keep any personal info private (as he already does) from any outside non-member, from merchants, hosting companies, any.

4 - Members must have been developing their on-line business at least one year ago (365days) prior to joining (example: a - website should have been up at least one year, b - affiliated with a merchant or pay-for-performance company at least one year (this will weed out some one who just joins everything today just to get on "board")

5 - Members can agree/or disagree with any other member but should not talk down, harass, disclose to non-members info of other members private info or ideas expressed to others outside "United Affiliates" board.

There will other rules and points ofcourse, that all of us can come up with and change, this is just a few.

I am sure that some will disagree with any of my points, but I will wonder why?

I think at the end of the day, if you joined ABW no matter what board, we should remain friends and learn from each other, getting our views across is fine, but one must always be professional

Jorge

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am sure that some will disagree with any of my points, but I will wonder why? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While Haiko is not herby, I will repeat that, I am in now way at all suggesting Haiko is like herby, behaves like herby or has any characteristics of herby.

But Jorge, go try iafma and grab yourself a manifesto - there are plenty open that someone can finish up.

What next? We start a magazine and reach 125,000 people by this christmas? If we start now, we are only a day behind iafma.

My biggest issue - excluding and hiding. Well and the cyber mall. And while I am all for donating to haiko if he needs some cash to run the forum, actually forced paying i am not to hot on. Also not to hot on someone dictating what is a real affiliate site and what is not. Prefer not to use our real names, while some of us don't hide (i do just to be exposed), i understand why some do. Also not so hot on the idea you have to be doing this for so many years - you are a newbie, can I filter out your posts?? Also never a fan of creating an US vs Them mentatlity by segmenting the population.

But other than that, I agree 100%, unless I missed a point of yours, then I disagree with that as well.

Chet

The only problem I have with the idea is that it would change the nature of the board, and I like it fine as it is.

Yes, it's 'disorganized' - that's one of its main strengths.

There is strength in diversity.

ABW Ambassador
    As a relatively new member myself, I've learned a lot here from the oldtimers and appreciate the knowledge I received. I've been pointed in the right direction to develop some of my own successful techniques. I hope when I'm an oldtimer here I can share helpful hints with newbies for free, the same as when I started.

Polls require that the responders have some knowledge of the subject prior to voting on it. You seem to have put the cart before the horse. You might consider putting forth a proposal of some kind prior to using the often misused poll function.

I see no need to form an exclusive "club" here. I agree with Chet that it creates "an US vs Them mentality." I see that on Webmaster World, with more and more threads open only to those paying $149.00 per year.

This seems to be the type of proposal, a fundimental change, to be appropriately made by the owner of the board. Last I heard, this site isn't run as a co-op.

Wayne

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I agree with Chet's objections.

Plus, there used to be a (free) private forum here and all it did was cause suspicion and flames! It became a rather common (but false!) belief that what was done in the private forum was "bash those who don't have access." That was a wrong assumption, but having that board did nothing to help ABW! The "elite tier" made for an "Us vs. Them" mentality among other things. It also caused suspicion inside: (Is the next guy *really* an affiliate? Blah blah blah) There are enough divisions among affiliates without artifically creating more!

The information value wasn't any greater inside it, either. What we didn't want known to the general board, we really didn't want known to a handful either. It's not like the people in a private forum suddenly aren't *competitors!*

People finally stopped posting in that forum and it died. Due to the suspicions it caused both inside and out, and the fact that what people aren't willing to tell 10,000 people they aren't willing to tell 100 either, I think it should stay dead.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    What Leader said. The private forum didn't really work last time - in fact it caused more problems than anything. Best left well alone.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Chet,

Thanks,

I've never heard of iafma.org, I am reading site now. Will reply to you afterwards my 2c on that.

"forced paying i am not to hot on"

I agree, (no one forces) we should not be forced to pay, that is why it's a "united affiliates" members board if you don't want to pay or join then you don;t have to.

"Also not to hot on someone dictating what is a real affiliate site and what is not"

A real affiliate site is someone who, a - purchased a domain name, b - joined a pay-for performance company, c- added merchants, and links, banners, context to their domain site in order to generate income for the owner of the site as well as the merchant(s). My 2 c definition, which is what I am doing.

"Prefer not to use our real names, while some of us don't hide (i do just to be exposed)"

If I run a real business whether "affliate" type or not what is wrong with real names board, like, this is not some type of "chat room" is it.

"Also not so hot on the idea you have to be doing this for so many years - you are a newbie, can I filter out your posts??"

I think only a "year" not ""so many years". Mis-understanding, this is only to prevent someone from joining "united affiliates" board" only. not other abw boards.

"Also never a fan of creating an US vs Them mentatlity by segmenting the population"

I do not want to segment anyone either, and do not believe in us vs them either.

Jorge

Have I learned a lot here - you betcha.
    Have I increased my income because of what I learned here - absolutley.
    Would I pay to "play" here - maybe.
    Do I like the idea of a "pay-to-play" board - No.

Don't spoil a good thing. All one has to do is go look at that "other" board and see the level of participation, and other telltales to decide which is better for affiliates.

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

See why a good old fashioned "barn raising" buildout of a community built cybermall would silence forever those like Chet who would lie to the group like this ...

"Mike just doesn't trust the other affiliates when talking about numbers because as it has been shown, he makes up his numbers to justify his points. Mike some of us post real numbers."

My response need not be heated or even challenging as the ABWers from the couponers, AM's like Akiva- Andy- Linda- Chris, product feed guys to the static HTML and artistic could build in their affiliate ebiz plan into Mall sections. Every paid member contributing to the Mall's success from content to SEO could login daily and REALLY SEE WHAT WORKS and who the wanks are without using me as bait. All proceeds go to fund ABW projects and there will be continuous money flowing in and invaluable information discerned from actual verifyable indisputable stats.

The merchants -AMs and networks would fear the day to day open review of a live affiliate enabled shopping Mall more than anything ABW will ever do. You guys forget only the CEOs of very sucessful etailers worried about their program and sites performace call me for advice. Also high conversion AM's that feed ABWers call and personally e-mail me on a regular basis because I'm a no BS inventive thinking old coot in this evolving game. The crooks avoid me like the plague as the word is out I out them to cybercrime units as I find them.

The Mall isn't getting built because of competitive greed, hiding secret sauce tricks, and fear of real stats blowing away the smoke and mirrors. Also because the revenue would not be flowing to any individual here who might ...just might... hit upon something they do not wish others to have in their affiliate tool chest. Tought crap as the industry is consolidating to just the pure Ad whore power brokers and imploading at the SE traffic sources if you haven't noticed!

Meanwhile the consumers are hanging the DMA and IAB members like they were pedophile killers. The Mall would be a example that cannot be ignored as consumers demand we clean up our act and put some friggin value into each and every click.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Plus, everyone forgets, this is Haiko's board, he can do with it what he wants, if he doesn't like you he can ban you, if you pay money, then I guess you would just loose that money. I've been banned for no reason before, I'll be darned if I pay money for it to happen again.

As for the "testbed", I thought your site was the testbed Mike, why would abestweb need one?

qball...my site is a personal test bed for verifying un-modified network merchant tracking. I only can show case a few merchants with my trafic and do not use all the tools for affiliate success from PPCSE to coupons. Ecomcity can get a real facelift but has never produced more than 1800.00 a month in commissions. If that clap trap CyberMALL can do that imagine the ABW war chest that could be built up from a community designed & maintained best of breed shopping site. ABWers would have a role model site show them a successful AM marketing doesn't require tricks for clicks.

More important for the first time ever none of us has to judge this industries performance or potential based upon our own stupid network stats for limited affiliate sales models. Hell the Mall could be outfitted for drop shipper experiments to augment affiliate sales.

Mike & Charlie ...

Why don't we just build our own sites, and believe each others numbers? That way, we keep the money, the secrets we learn and share info. Maybe we should start a discussion board about affiliate marketing.....

Helping out ABW with some funding doesn't bother me but the union thing I'll have no part of it. We are competition not partners.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast