1 7.14%
  • 500 hits per month

2 14.29%
  • 1000 hits per month

1 7.14%
  • 5000 hits per month

10 71.43%
    ABW Ambassador
    A question for both affiliates and merchants?

How many hits per month per affiliate/merchant agreement do you consider do you consider to be a decent amount of traffic?

Another way of wording this: "I expect about x number of hits per month per affiliate/merchant relation."

For affiliates, I am asking how many hits per month for a single merchant. For merchants, I am asking about hits per month per affiliate.

I hope I chose a decent range.

sound thinking

This poll can't work. Everyone would always pick the highest possible number.

why would you want to know in hits?
    wouldnt "unique visitors" be a better indication of a sites success?
    i dont care for hits, as pages can have alot of images and other things that constitute a "hit"
    a unique visitor could have say; 30hits on your site, and that would only be one person.

Yeah hits don't measure anything really.

In sept I had 548,374 hits but don't let your jaw drop too far because it means nothing and by comparison in Oct I had only 322,606 and it only made a 400 dollar difference in my earnings.

I do not track Hits or uniques. So sick of the trend on tracking.

I utilize traffic flow.
    Arrival to exit.

Granted its just my opinion but eventually traffic flow will give the best results as an IPO

SandraR<FONT face=Arial size=2>

</FONT>

ABW Ambassador
    I worded the poll poorly. I was really wondering when I should consider an merchant/affiliate relation a waste of time.

For example, I might see a merchant with an interesting product. I really only have about 100 people a month to send to the merchant. Is my joining the program considered a waste of the merchant's time?

Would you consider a 100 click throughs a month from an affiliate a decent amount? or should I not bother joining because I don't have enough traffic?

It is a very subjective question, and my bar might be way too low. Are you all really sending more than 5000 hits (click throughs) each month to each merchant you are promoting? I would have asked for visitors but the networks report click throughs. I find that only about 1 in 40 of the people that come to my site click on an ad. For 5000 hits, I have to attact 200,000 visitors to my site.

The question really was what is the minimum that merchants should expect from an affiliate?

hmm now I see the light. The answer would depend on the end result $$$.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'd say to go for at least 500 clickthroughs. Not that it'd be a waste of the merchant's time--a sale's a sale and aggregated across the affiliate pool it can amount to quite a bit--but it's awfully disappointing from an affiliate's perspective to check the stats and see a puny 1-3 sales/month at a program.

Unfortunately, it can be hard to predict how much traffic can be sent to a merchant. Sometimes what seems like high demand in WordTracker is really some guy with a rank checking robot, and at other times there are pages which insist on residing somewhere in the netherworld of Google and Inktomi.

I'd say to give it a few cycles to tweak the page and get good ranks (if it doesn't have them already) before doing any dropping of the program, unless there is conclusive evidence that the demand just isn't there (for instance, if a #1 in Google under the most relevant keys only brings 10 viewers/month it's because almost nobody's looking for the thing!).

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Instead of wondering whether 100 people is enough, think of it this way. Even if you have a 100% conversion rate, you've still made less sales than the guy who has 150,000 visitors, and a 1% conversion.

The answer is to never be satisfied with your current status, and always be reaching for higher goals.

One of the ways that you can start doing this is to join new programs so that you have new ideas, and targets to get into the search engines. And, to be honest, it's not like a merchant is going to say,"Oh, there's yintercept. Looks like he's only generating 100 clicks per month. Let's ace the bastard!"

The worst thing that can happen to you is to not be noticed by the merchant. And if you're doing only 100 clicks, you're likely to be in that situation.

Bryan Simonson
    bryan@smoothcorp.com
    SmoothCorp Affiliates
    iFLOOR.com/3%/sale/avg.sale=$800
    RugArea.com/12-14%/avg.sale=$400
    CornerHardware.com/6%/avg.sale=$80

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks,

I was figuring that people should be aiming for a minimum of 500 - 1000 click throughs per month per merchant.

I suspect that there's a large number of people on the board looking at their stats thinking: "I am sending this merchant a decent amount of traffic (100 targetted clicks a month) and I am getting squat. Something is wrong with this merchant..."

This is the way I run the numbers: To clear minimum wage in the US (assuming $5000/year expenses) you would need to make $15,000 in commissions. At a $5.00 EPC, that requires 300,000 click throughs per year or 25,000 per month. So if you are promoting 50 merchants, then you need to be sending them about 500 clicks per month to hit minimum wage. If you have only 5 merchants, you would need to be sending them an average of 5000 click throughs a month for minimum wage.

I have serious doubts that mass affiliation has the potential to provide a living for many people. At a $5.00 EPC, you need 25,000 clicks a month to score minimum wage. A 1/50 click through rate would require 1,250,000 page views for minimum wage. ABW reports 1,029,364 page views for the last 30 days. ABW would not break minimum wage at a $5.00 EPC and a 1/50 click through.

I agree with Heyder that the actual commission matters more than hit counts, but people need to set realistic expectations for their traffic in order to get their commissions to a livable level.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread