• Desktop

13 50.00%
  • Laptop

4 15.38%
  • Both

9 34.62%
  • Other

0 0%
    What do you use most to work on your site.

I'm planning to buy a new faster computer in January to use mainly for affiliate marketing, but I have not decided yet if I should buy another desktop or buy my first laptop. Other than the 17" monitor issue and the full size keyboard I'm used to by now, I hope this poll will help me determine if I go portable in 2004.

Thanks to all in advance for you reply.

ABW Ambassador
    I am trying to get my wife to agree to let me buy a laptop. I saw one with a 17 inch screen. I love it, it is only $2,444.
    I am trying to figure out how to convince her

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjshoppingnetwork:
    I am trying to get my wife to agree to let me buy a laptop. I saw one with a 17 inch screen. I love it, it is only $2,444.
    I am trying to figure out how to convince her <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Try buying her something worth $2,445? Can you right off bribbing the wife as a business expense?

I've been think of replacing my desktop but some of these notebooks are priced so low. Makes it hard decide.

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

I use both, but use the laptop 90% of the time. I bought a used one from Dell at ebay as I was not sure I would like using it. I love it!!!! Now I want a newer, lighter one as I take it everywhere I go.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Laptop only when I am away. I have become spoiled by my 21" screen.

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> am trying to get my wife to agree to let me buy a laptop. I saw one with a 17 inch screen. I love it, it is only $2,444.
    I am trying to figure out how to convince her
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IT's the end of the year and a good tax deduction. You gotta spend money to make money, gotta reinvest in the business!

I have my eye on one of those 17" laptops too. Right now I can't stand making affiliate pages on my laptop. The desktop has 2 monitors so things go much faster, but a laptop with a 17" screen I could view several windows at a time.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jane:

IT's the end of the year and a good tax deduction. You gotta spend money to make money, gotta reinvest in the business!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am new to affiliate marketing, never had to declare for tax purposes. I did earn money last year, but it was less than $50.

This year we estimate that we will earn over $50,000 for the year, and we are going to pay taxes

Can I really buy a notebook and use the purchase as a tax deduction?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

I use my notebook just like a desktop. I have it hooked up to a 17" flat screen monitor and a full size keyboard.

This provides the best of both worlds. I'm planning on replacing my current notebook with the Dell Inspiron 8600 before year's end (to get the tax writeoff). I see no reason to have a desktop except to hold down cost.

Re taxes: Your purchase of a computer for business purposes can be expensed, I think up to around $17,000. Since you won't spend that, you can deduct the entire cost.

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Bob Hope

ABW Ambassador
    I use both.

Laptop - Communication and normal "business" stuff. Email, contacts, accounting software, etc. Also for trips.

Desktop - Programming and other "heavy uses". I have this machine primarily so that I can program and not be held up by so many applications running at once.

Both are hooked up to a Belkin KVM switch with a USB hub and a 19" Flatscreen.

IamJaloppy

ABW Ambassador
    I have a laptop (Dell Latitude C640) that I also use with a port replicator and 17" flat panel monitor quite a bit. Like someone else said, best of both worlds.

Michael

Just Lurking
    Anybody doing the wireless thing? That's what I've been thinking about lately. A wireless laptop and a desktop with a nice big hard drive.

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    My accountant would not let me write the Laptop off against the business. Here in Spain I have to reclaim the tax back over 3-5 years from my personal tax declaration (as opposed to the business one). Is that the same everywhere or just in Spain.

Getting to the point, I have just started working on the laptop we bought (my wife has taken ownership of it), but I love it too. Am getting a second hand one from my dad when I go back to the Uk at Christmas, but have seen a Toshiba with ultra wide screen that will be the next purcahse (if Christams ever takes off for us).

Laptops are so cool - you can work in front of the TV .

Also I have a subscription to the Liverpool FC eSeason Ticket which lets me listen to and watch live games (watch only when at Anfield).
    The laptop is great for that. Get the beers in, get comfortable in bed, or in the garden, and watch the pre-match interviews, match, live chat with other fans etc. Much better than sitting in the office (which is a working environment) to watch it.

This last week and a bit I have had flu. The laptop has been a godsend (or a nuisance however you look at it) - I can still work.

Get the laptop!

Download Site Map Creator Today

ABW Ambassador
    A quick question of my own. What is the easiest way of keeping a laptop and desktop synchronised? Windows Briefcase?

ABW Ambassador
    Laptops are now deductible as a business expense in the year that you buy them. You don't have to spread the cost over a couple of years like you did previously. You can buy up to $100,000 of office equipment, furniture, etc. and write it off in the year that you buy it. It's considered business personal property.

You may also want to look into setting up a SEP-IRA. You can open an account this year but don't have to actually contribute to it until you file your taxes in the spring. Everything you contribute to that comes off the top of your income.

Also, if you aren't covered under someone else's health plan you can deduct your health insurance premiums too this year.

Lots of tax goodies this year for small business owners.

Kip

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe I need to get my accountants here to start doing some work for me and get them to tell me how to save moeny!!!

They did our personal tax returns wrong this year. We ended up paying interest because of their blunder, and would have had to pay an extra $4000 if we had not questioned the letters from the Tax office.

┬┤Seems all accountants are the same over here. I think we will move back to the UK and get screwed even more.

Budda,

I just bought a Dell desktop and laptop and decided to go wireless with the both of them and I am loving it It's nice to be able to head upstairs to my bed if my back starts getting sore and to just turn on the laptop. The connection is good using dells true mobile.

The main reason for going wireless was I didn't want to deal with hooking all three comps up to RR cable. So now the kids comp(my old one) is hooked directly to the truemobile, while my desktop and laptop are wireless. So far I'm happy with it. JMO of course

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    If I need to get work done, desktop, had a laptop but dozed off one too many times on the couch and dropped it...

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Desktop, if you spend more than 10 hours a day working on your site, otherwise your neck will lock in place from strain. haha

Laptop is great, if you can afford both.

Laptop is the way to go for a pure business machine, desktop for a dual use machine.

The drawbacks of a laptop are that the overall cost is higher per feature, the graphics card isn't as good for gaming, and the maximum hard drive you can upgrade to is about 40GB. All other things are pretty much the same though.

For web development, a laptop with 1.2Ghz CPU, 512MB RAM, 20+GB hard drive, plus an external keyboard and external 17"LCD monitor is perfect. Wireless is a big plus, and is a pretty cheap upgrade option on most new laptops these days.

Here's how I use my laptop:
    I have Windows 2000 (If you go XP, go XPprofessional to get the IIS web server functionality), Winsock FTP, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Frontpage (you might want to use Dreamweaver or some other editor instead), MS IE and Mozilla. I also installed PHP for windows (free) and mySQL for windows (also free) - you don't need these things if you do all your work in straight HTML though.
    All this together means that I have a stand-alone development environment that I can make any site and upload/downoad it to either a Windows or Linux webserver - and it's easy as pie to manage because it's all under windows.

Normally the laptop sits under my desk at home, right next to a desktop system that I use to "play". They are on a "KVM" switch (keyboard, video, mouse) that lets me switch between them without taking up extra desk space for extra keyboards and monitors.

When I travel, I take the laptop with me, and I can develop, test, whatever without needing any kind of connection. This is great on vacation when the wife wants to spend the afternoon in the hammock reading - I can still work even without a connection. What is triply cool is when we stay at a hotel with wireless hotspot support. I get the passcode at the front desk, and I'm online, uploading my work to my sites, and, checking my sales stats of course. NOTE: if you are going this route, get a personal firewall. I like Black Ice personal defender, but there are lots of others out there too.

Hope this wasn't too techy.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

Just Lurking
    Linux Tablet for $999!

Slashdot

Just a touch screen at the moment but a handwriting recognition update is supposely on the way.

Laptop!

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread