5 9.62%
  • more than 3

1 1.92%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Are your running dual or more monitors?

Once you go dual, you'll never go back.

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

Is two monitors as simple as two video cards (without conflicts), and two monitors?

Fred

You might just be a redneck if..."Your talent in the local beauty pageant was making noises with your armpit"

why would you want 2 monitors?

buy_online... I am running XP Pro and all I did was throw in a second video card and boom. I was up and running. I use 2000 Pro at work and from what I understand, it is the same thing.

midnightcoder, It's called efficency. I keep my email program open in one monitor and use the other as my main monitor. Also, you can use it for a web page in one window and your graphics program/coding program in the other.

If you have a second monitor laying around, it's well worth the money for a second card.

Chris

Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>why would you want 2 monitors?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I'm spoiled with 2, but I think 3 is what I really need. Gotta have room to preview the page in the browser, read the email and work on graphics.

Have your html editor on one screen and copy links from your affiliate programs that are on the other screen. No more minimize this maximize that. Saves tons of time!

You can use 2 cards or go the easy route and by a dual monitor card. Matrox and ATI both make one for around $100.00. Dell is starting to offer this as an option on some of their machines. I don't know why it is taking so long to catch on.

I have Win98 (lame, but works). So, I'll try it. What special settings do you use to keep items on the displays separate (if that's what you are doing)?

I am already using a 21" CAD display (aspect ratio is more horizontal than vertical). And it's not big enough. If I had the money for a 41" plasma display I would get it.

As to the why, well the more I can see, the more I can manipulate without touching anything. It is way more efficient. They say larger displays appeal to those with stronger right brains? I am not sure if that applies to me or not....

Fred

You might just be a redneck if..."Your talent in the local beauty pageant was making noises with your armpit"

I used dual monitor (1 computer, with 1 video card that has 2 monitor ports) for LCD presentation. So that I can manipulate the Power Point presentation on the computer while presenting to the LCD projector.

Regards,

=xo=

Two monitors? I can't even imagine that. Plenty getting done with one!

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Just one monitor running for me. Running more than that sounds way too workaholic for me! And none of my emails are so compelling that they can't wait until I'm done with whatever I'm doing to get seen.

~Revenue is King

Actually, I'm the other way around. I have one monitor and two computers. My laptop and my desktop run off the same monitor, keyboard and mouse. (okay, technically I have two montitors, but with the laptop docking station I don't open the laptop so the monitor is rarely used.)

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

How can it be workaholic when you get done faster! Web site customers send me stuff in the email. Copy and paste it to their page or read what the heck it is I am supposed to be doing.
    Had a problem with one of my monitors and Sony sent me an exchange. After 2 years of running dual I felt like a cripple for a week with just the one monitor.
    All those floating photoshop menus go over to the second screen instead of cluttering up my graphics.
    You can stretch a spread sheet across the 2 so you can see all that affiliate income at one time without scrolling.
    Cditty is right. Once you go dual you will never go back!
    Another advantage is that you can have a different screen res set on each monitor so you can preview your web pages both ways.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hmmm how do you know what will pop up in which browser?

Sounds like something I should have, One monitor for ABW, one for LinkShare and one for Email

Cheers

Chris

I also run 1 vieo card with dual monitor outs.

In WinXP Pro, think of it like a massive desktop that spans across 2 screens. But the maximize to each screen is still available. It is super convenient for developing on one screen and results on another.

I agree, once you go dual, you never go back.

Hope this helps,

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com
    604-596-9766

Personal Sites: ADS-Links.com | HealthCastle.com

Thanks guys, most appreciated. My reasoning is not necessarily faster (although that's good), but easier and less confusing - it's all just a glance away.

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    I had dual monitors but when I got my new HP and added it to the network I had to disconnect it to make room. As soon as the spare bedroom is free again the ENTIRE network (4 machines) will be being moved and dammit I can have my second monitor back!!!

ABW Ambassador
    IF you do need to add another display adapter you most probably will add a PCI card to go with your AGP card.

If you have any problems getting this setup to recognize the second card go into your bios and set the PCI card as your Primary adapter and that will fix it.

Cheers,

DPG

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How can it be workaholic when you get done faster!~Jane <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess it was the thought of wanting to do so much productivity that it actually matters when it gets done!

Although it would be nice to move that Photoshop stuff around. But how do you let it know to put the menus on the other monitor instead of showing you 2 screens of the same thing? I saw about using an extra video card, but what clues in the computer as to just what to put where?

~Revenue is King

ABW Ambassador
    I run three monitors. 1x19" CRT and 2x15" LCD.

One is for the main program that I am running (mostly Dreamweaver), one for the results and one for anything else that may be happening, browsing 'n stuff.

They all run at different resolutions and I use virtual desktop (comes with windows as standard) which allows you to run a single desktop over multiple screens.

I still find that I cover browser windows though

To set them up is as easy as pluging the card in and running the drivers when told to. I use win98SE.

I had issues running virtual desktop on win2000 as the menu bar ran across all three monitors and was a pain to use. I decided it was not worth the effort to find a solution to and went back to win98.

I would not go back to a single monitor, and for me its about convenience, not work, I am after all a student of leader's results not work philosophy

Just so that you don’t think I went out and specifically bought all this stuff just to have three monitors, it was lying around left over from a few projects that I had, so why not

Now where did I hide the main ABW window? Mmmmm, maybe another monitor just for ABW?

If at first you don't succeed, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click.

I have a spare monitor sitting around, and I've been intending for a long time to figure out how to get it hooked up.

I imagine I'd just have to get a card, replace my old card with it, and plug in both monitors.

That sounds easy. I'm using Windows XP home edition. What am I forgetting? And what card should I get? I suppose any required software would come with it.

ABW Ambassador
    You will need to keep your existing video card and insert a second card which will need to be a PCI card (unless you get a dual card).

The video card specs that you need will depend on your monitor, so you will need to find out the spec of your monitor and go from there.

If at first you don't succeed, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hmmm how do you know what will pop up in which browser? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But how do you let it know to put the menus on the other monitor instead of showing you 2 screens of the same thing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you have dual monitors setup you can drag your task bar to any edge of any screen. Just point at a blank section of the task bar and drag and drop it where you want. If it wont move make sure you havent locked the task bar.

To set a program to open on a certain monitor. While the program is not maximised, drag it to the monitor you want and maximise it there. Windows will remember to open it on that monitor next time.

To choose which monitor you want to be your main monitor (i.e the one the Login screen appears on and the one the task bar appears on by default and the one programs open on by default) right click a blank spot on your desktop and choose properties. Click on the settings tab and you will see your monitors here. Select the box that represents the monitor you want and tick the corresponding box of the one you want to use as your primary monitor. You can also drag the blue boxes around here to stack your monitors in the same configuration as you have them so the mouse slides between them in the right position.

Rgds,

DPG

[This message was edited by DPG on July 27, 2003 at 02:09 PM.]

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    This I have got to try

Cheers

Chris

ABW Ambassador
    I run dual monitors for three primary purposes

1) Palets. When I am programming or working on graphics I like to have a full screen dedicated to the 'work' and then move all the palets to the second screen.

2) Large cut and Paste operations. Do you ever have to cut and paste a bunch of things? Have the source on one screen, destination on the second screen. Now you dont have to keep 'alt tabbing' between a bunch of windows to move things around.

3) File Management. Open a file explorer in each window and start moving files around. Its great being able to see two full screen directory structures!

ABW Ambassador
    I must use two. I just need the space to run all those windows. I sometimes us the other monitor as a terminal service into my servers. Then, I just need one kvm for all my machines.

IamJaloppy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast