Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Here's a hair-raising statistic: Since switching my ebay links from BeFree to CJ, I have been credited with only 21 registrations. That number has dropped off a cliff. It has been in a steady downward spiral since mid-November. I won't bore everyone with that horrifying story, though.

The real attention grabber is that out of those 21 registrations, only ONE is being credited as an active $5.00 registration. My question to ebay is: What in the heck is going on?

I have gone from an ebay affiliate making $1000+ each month for 11 straight months to almost no earnings from this program. I am still sending them hundreds of highly targeted visitors each day through flexible text links.

I made a call to the AM yesterday, but have not received a return phone call as of yet. I am about to say goodbye to ebay if they don't get their act together very soon, and I would advise others to do the same; because it is obvious that their tracking is beyond screwed up at this point.

Bombalini

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I have asked eBay to come here and talk about automatic popunders that are setting cookies, but have not had an answer yet. I would just like them to say, yes or no, if they feel that setting cookies with a popunder is a valid way to reset cookies. No answer yet, and that was a week or two ago.

- - - - - - - - -
    I will FOCUS on my goal, and I shall NOT be denied.

Well, so much for that one active registration out of 21. They just reversed that one this morning along with three bids. You talk about adding insult to injury.

They also locked two more registrations that were $0.00 amounts anyway. I thought BeFree had serious problems, but this takes the cake.

I agree that it would be nice if someone from eBay would get on this board and show some interest in their affiliate program.

Bombalini

ABW Ambassador
    I got my first bid reversal for ebay, says the merchandise was returned.

That left me very,very confused.

Last month, I made twice as much off the adsense banners on the pages featuring ebay auctions, than I did off the auctions and ebay's program.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    I noticed something today that has never happened with me before, bids getting reversed. Now how does that happen?

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    Just got more of them...

So besides using them for content, I am going to stop caring about ebay.

If this is an indication of how the CJ/Befree merge is going to play out, bye bye Befree merchants.

I can see todd and company already - "A great way to increase your program is to use whenu and ebates, and where that fails, let people popup your cookie everywhere, and if any pesky regular affiliates are still around, start reversing items".

I think CJ wants to eventually only be writing a handful of affiliate payment checks every month.

Chet

Hi Everyone,

I had one reversal for a registration and five bid reversals. All of the actions were from 2/2 and the reason indicated is returned merchandise.

Ebay is about to get the boot from our site.

ATKOgirl

You might want to try a test purchase and make sure that they are reporting it correct. I have had many miss-reported sales from these people!

Ebay just can't seem to get their affiliate program right. I dropped all their links months ago and replaced them with Adsence. Boy, was that the right thing to do.

Ebay is great if I want to buy something, but sucks for trying to get commissions.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Bombalini,

Regardless of what CJ says, Nov, Dec, and Jan have always been declining months for me. If you check the EPC trend this seems to be true for everyone.

Read my other threads on what's happening. You're highly targetted links must compete with other eBay direct links and it appears we all will be loosing.

ATKOgirl,

It's not "returned merchandise". It's "eBay has determined that another partner really earned
    credit for the transaction"

Note I said "partner". This isn't your cookie being overwritten. This is a different cookie that apparently is more valuable than yours.

quote:
    Originally posted by elbowcreek:
    I have asked eBay to come here and talk about automatic popunders that are setting cookies, but have not had an answer yet. I would just like them to say, yes or no, if they feel that setting cookies with a popunder is a valid way to reset cookies. No answer yet, and that was a week or two ago.

- - - - - - - - -

The answer is Yes. Back when I had eBay insiders returning my email I was told explicitly by them and CJ that it's OK.

Here's a note from CJ this morning:

"As of right now eBay has elected to continue working with publishers who set cookies on their users without the user actually clicking on the offer as long as they display an eBay logo even though this violates the Commission Junction Publisher Service Agreement. If a publisher utilizes this practice with any other advertiser besides eBay they must obtain documented authorization or will be removed from the network and commissions reversed.

We will verify once again with eBay that they wish to continue working with publishers who drive traffic in this manor."

This is ridiculous!

According to the e-mail I just received from Ebay:

quote:
    eBay Reversal Process Begins this Week
    Also, we rolled out our new reporting structure this week. This reporting enhancement prevents us from crediting two publishers for the same active registration, bid or BIN transaction performed on eBay. To properly process all publisher-driven activity, there is currently a two-day lag time from the time your lead or sale was driven to when it is properly posted on the Commission Junction Account Manager. We are working hard to shorten this time lag. However, in the meantime, a portion of each day's leads and sales may be "reversed" two days later. Some publishers will see a greater reversal rate than others based on the business model practiced.

Exactly, how is it determined who receives credit for a sale? We have over 5,000 Ebay links on our web site -- if this is not resolved VERY, VERY soon, we are dumping them all!!!!!

ATKOgirl

More reversals. Does eBay REALLY expect me to believe that 25% of my VERY TARGETED traffic bids on February 2nd belong to someone else?

BULLSHOOT!!!

Not for the search terms I'm using! NO WAY!

Andy

That's depressing news about ebay allowing the cookies to be set in that fashion. It's a cut-throat world out there.

On the brighter side, I was called back by the AM who used to be with BeFree and is now over at CJ since the merger. One big happy family now, I guess. Anyway he referred me to someone named George who checked out the links on my site. He told me that the last two digits were left off my AID number, so the links weren't tracking properly.

He did seem very friendly and helpful. I figured I could fix the problem myself, but it looks like I'll be calling him back for some help.

I'm using cute site builder, and when I look at the link properties the AID number is there bigger than life. When I view the source code on the published site, the AID number is there in the HREF= area, but it is missing the last two digits in the TITLE= area.

I don't know whether cute site builder is screwing it up when it converts the site to html or if the coding is screwed up in the ebay flexible link builder. Any ideas? A computer expert I'm not.

Bombalini

Reversals here too, 2 questions:

Does anyone have the original email email from ebay explaining this "Most Deserving Refferer" issue? Maybe it could be posted here.

Also, what popunder type are you considering using?
       <script>
    //PopUnder Power
    //Credit notice must stay intact for use.
    //Paste this entire javascript between the <head> & </head> tags of your page,
    // Visit http://www.mikenew.net for more scripts.
    // by Mike New, with special thanks to Jeff Phillips of http://www.cadwebsitedesign.com

// Begin. Specify URLs to randomly select from and pop-under. Edit & add freely.
    var popunder=new Array()
    popunder[0]="http://www.mikenew.net/mini-fetch.php"
    popunder[1]="http://www.classadrivers.com"
    //popunder[2]="http://www.cadwebsitedesign.com"

// Specify the width and height of new popunder window (in pixels).
    var width = '700';
    var height = '450';

var p = 'scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,toolbar=yes,' + //these are obvious variables. set "yes" or "no".
    'menubar=yes,status=yes,location=yes,left=85,top=20,height=' + //yes/no, & the screen location
    height + ',width=' + width;

// Load new PopUnder only once per browser session? (0=no, 1=yes)
    // Putting 0 will cause the Popunder to load every time page is loaded
    // Specifying 1 will cause it to load only once per session
    var one_time=1

// That's it! Don't edit the code below unless you're really good. :-P //

function get_cookie(Name) {
    var search = Name + "="
    var returnvalue = "";
    if (document.cookie.length > 0) {
    offset = document.cookie.indexOf(search)
    if (offset != -1) { // if the cookie exists
    offset += search.length
    end = document.cookie.indexOf(";", offset); // set the index of beginning value

if (end == -1) // set the index of the end of cookie value
    end = document.cookie.length;
    returnvalue=unescape(document.cookie.substring(offset, end))
    }
    }
    return returnvalue;
    }

function loadornot(){
    if (get_cookie('popunder')==''){
    load_pop_power()
    document.cookie="popunder=yes"
    }
    }

function load_pop_power(){
    win2=window.open(popunder[Math.floor(Math.random()*(popunder.length))],"bw",p)
    win2.blur()
    window.focus()
    }

if (one_time==0)
    load_pop_power()
    else
    loadornot()
    </script>

-snip snip -

[This message was edited by ToughTurkey™ on February 06, 2004 at 03:38 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    If the choice is between doing something crappy, or dropping a program. I will drop a program.

I will not pop ads. I will not use tricks to set cookies.

If you are going to pop ads, why not use a dedicated popunder company and make a decent cpm? Hell those really annoying quasi pop ads earn a $3.50cpm at fast click.

Chet

quote:
    ToughTurkey wrote: Does anyone have the original email email from ebay explaining this "Most Deserving Refferer" issue? Maybe it could be posted here.

Here ya go:

quote:
    Tracking Enhancements to Active Registrations, Bids and Buy-It-Nows

ValueClick completed its acquisition of Commission Junction (CJ) in December, and the combined CJ and Be Free program for eBay will operate exclusively on the CJ platform. eBay took this opportunity to conduct an audit of the CJ and Be Free tracking systems. Based on our review, we will be implementing a more efficient tracking infrastructure, which will roll out with the price increase on February 1, 2004.

The new system will address a tracking inefficiency that resulted in potential double counting of ACRU, Bid, and BIN activity among affiliates. The double counting occasionally caused affiliate activity to be counted by both the CJ and Be Free platforms and potentially another one of eBay's partners like MSN. As such, beginning in February you may see either see an increase or decrease in the number of ACRU, Bid and/or BIN transactions reported.

Our data suggests that the decrease will vary depending on the business models that you deploy. Affiliates with very targeted campaigns (e.g. algorithmic search and niche sites) were least affected with this reporting upgrade, because they operate in less competitive areas on the Internet. For example, if you have a niche site dedicated to "guitars" that sends traffic to eBay's guitar pages via music banners, it is less likely that a prospective eBay user will subsequently click on an eBay link from another affiliate causing your cookie to be overwritten. In this example, the affiliate has targeted a very specific web demographic that takes users to eBay at the moment when they are most likely to become an ACRU.

Business models with less targeted campaigns that may populate the web with large volumes of ads (e.g. pop-ups and product downloads) are impacted more heavily by this tracking upgade. For example, if you distribute an eBay pop-under each time a collectibles or antiques site is visited, it is more likely that another affiliate will take credit for the ACRU since less targeted ads are less effective at getting users to bid or use BIN – although they do get users to visit eBay.

Please contact our affiliate team at ebayaffiliates@cj.com if you would like to receive more information about how to refine your business model to drive the best results.

Andy

More eBay "merchandise returns" today. Since the first of the year, my eBay bids, BINs, and registrations have dropped considerably.

Now I'm expected to believe that 25% of the ones I do get aren't really mine!

This is bullshoot! I don't believe it! I think the eBay site itself is rewriting affiliate cookies, and that STINKS!

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    I have had no ebay nickels or registrations in 2 days. Did I miss something in one of the emails about tracking being turned off?

Anyone else?

Chet

I've made a whopping 20 cents between today and yesterday along with four $0.00 registrations. But my links are screwed up. To clarify my earlier post, the last two digits of the flexible link ID are not showing up in the TITLE area in my ebay text links when I view source. It does show up with all digits intact in the HREF area, though.

I'm getting on the horn tomorrow, to find out what is causing the problem. It's odd, because looking at an old BF text link via view source, there isn't a second set of PID-Link ID numbers in the TITLE area.

I guess it's just a different tracking method over here at CJ. Have a great day everyone.

Bombalini

ABW Ambassador
    Are you tracking clicks? My reports don't even show any clicks compared to a normal 2-3,000 clicks a day. I have changed nothing.

Chet

Did you accept the new program terms that came out on the 1st? You may have been automatically dropped after 7 days if you didn't. Just a thought..

[This message was edited by itsjustme on February 08, 2004 at 04:37 PM.]

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    What is this "TITLE" area you keep rabbiting on about?

The HREF is the bit that gets sent out. The rest is window dressing.

George Orwell got the date wrong

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast