View Poll Results: To have Political Thread or not!

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Lets talk politics

10 20.83%
  • No - Lets not talk politics

30 62.50%
  • Politics on a closed froum only

8 16.67%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Enough is enough with the fights, lets all vote and ask Haiko to decide once and for all

SandraR

ABW Ambassador
    How about switching Politics on a closed froum only to the Current Events forum which is now locked but can be unlocked.

I work in lounge pants

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How about switching Politics on a closed froum only to the Current Events forum which is now locked but can be unlocked. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Problem is the insane rants fill up the 'new posts' list

ABW Ambassador
    A closed forum would be good for those without enough self control to steer clear of topics they don't like.

But there would still be those who access it and get offended.

Maybe a confirmation box before you enter a political forum? (Are you sure you want to talk politics?)

A system of self-punishment for those entering political forums against their wills?

Or maybe ABW 4.0 will have a nifty feature so foks can hide or ignore stuff they do not wish to see.

would be good if there was forum where people could rant themselves into a frenzy without it appearing on the new posts list

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

No politics, there are many other places for that... add in religion, stupid postings and silly crap.

Move up the professional ladder a little bit. I have been inviting many merchants here, and quite frankly, this place get's too childish too much of the time.

ABW Ambassador

I am a member of numerous forums on Delphi, and I even *host* my own Philosophy forum.

Whenever I feel the need to vent about politics, I go to a political forum, and whenever I feel the need to talk about Philosophy, I go to my own forum. (to which you are all invited, of course *smile*)

I come here to talk about affiliate marketing, nothing else. So perhaps a Political Forum is in order. That way people have a choice, and for the folks who do not wish to discuss politics they won't have to sift through posts that are not relevant to their reason for coming here.

Just my 2cents, FWIW.

<left class=sig><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=blue size=2>Gift Shopping Network</FONT>

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I think Haiko should drop political threads completely, or create 'abestpolitics.com' or some such and move it all there. He benefits from cross traffic, and it keeps all the political crappola out of this forum.

I also think there's a difference between a 'political discussion' and someone slamming the President for the sole purpose of baiting forum members.

On the upside, he'd probably have 50,000 political posts at the forum before the end of the year.

- - - - - - - - -
    Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. --Albert Einstein

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walleye warrior:
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell us how you really feel.

Just Lurking
    I think if political topics are ban then be prepared for a sharp up swing in fighting between the factions. By factions I mean couponer, datafeed, handcoders, domain sales people etc. You name it but could be just as ugly. The simple fact is their are a lot of intellegent people here. Intelligent people like to argue. The problem is no one can tell when they cross the line here in this virtual reality. There just isn't that sharp pain in the nose you get when you cross the line face to face. I'm not sure anymore what should be done but I doubt the solution will be as simple as banning politics.

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

I think the spice of posts on many different subjects is a big part of what has set ABW apart and made it so popular. Heck, if you want a board just like all the others that isn't so hard to do. But, it won't be ABW as we have come to know it and it might not do as well.

It is presumptuious to assume Haiko WANTS to decide once and for all at this time. If he did, he could certainly do it without a poll. I think this poll is kind of nervy and also insulting to Haiko.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    "Enough is enough with the fights, lets all vote and ask Haiko to decide once and for all"

How is the poll presumptuous? It is a freaking poll. How can a poll be insulting to Haiko?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Putting political posts in their own forum would still pollute the rest of ABW - the topics and posts would appear in new topics lists, search results, contribute to your posts count, and the mindset would undoubtedly spill over into the other forums.

I say draw a firm line and enforce it.

There's no value in making ABW all things to all people and in many cases finding out about a person's political views gets in the way of swapping business views and tips with them. I go to other online places to swap juggling tricks, chat about server upgrades, discuss the best way to make scarf joints in plywood and find people to shorten VW chassis. I wouldn't imagine coming here to do that because I come here for the one thing that ABW does best. Why dilute that?

--------------
    Are you Crazy?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Hey just look away for a few minutes and all the BHO's -spammers and internet con-men will disappear. Heck.. even Alice in Wonderland would be banned as unsuitable reading for the ABWers content to drift through life in denial. Look at me, I'm Green, and have to talk to a dodo bird all day long till the lights go off.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    How about a sports forum? I love talking about sports. I'll start a thread about how Eddie George is the most overrated running back ever.
    How about a car repair forum?
    How about a political forum?
    How about a recipe forum?
    How about a religious forum?
    How about a baby care forum?
    How about an entertainment forum?
    How about a home repair forum?
    How about a coin collecting forum?
    How about a pets forum?

ABestWeb - Affiliate Marketing Forum
    change that to
    ABestWeb - The Best Forums On The Web

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    I vote that every ABW member donate $1 for Mike from EcomCity.com to be treated so he can come back to this world

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Even if there is a private forum for politics, we'll all have to see it pop into the most recent posts list.

Think about the moderator time involved when the mud starts flying, and the leftists or rightists start whining.

Lastly, and speaking from experience, no one is going to change someone's mind on a subject - everyone is only out to try to belittle and bait those with other opinions.

Fhuughheadaboudit...

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

One thing I really wouldn't like to see is politics/current events banned or a gag put on because it's so much a part of our lives, so I've got to go with a closed forum.

ABW is primarily a marketing forum, with the risk of sounding all warm and fuzzy,it is also a virtual family. We've gone through amazing experiences together, so sharing views on current events seems only natural.

My tuppence anyhow

Pet forum Pet forum Pet yeah!yeah! yeah!

I'll second that ...."I vote that every ABW member donate $1 for Mike from EcomCity.com to be treated so he can come back to this world"

Mike & Charlie ... send to Charlie@PayPals.com

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Do you guys realize that 814 threads have been put to rest here without being closed down. Those are the ones where obviously the truth I spouted hit the nail on the head and no further comments were ever made. Coffee is for closers...

Mike & Charlie ...

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    Do you guys realize that 814 threads have been put to rest here without being closed down. Those are the ones where obviously the truth I spouted hit the nail on the head and no further comments were ever made. Coffee is for closers...

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>WTG Mike! 10% success rate!?

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    For myself, when I see Bush, Iraq, UN, Saddam, politics, religion, war or peace in the title, I usually won't even open the thread. (good thing I didn't have political in the list) Additionally, if Charlie is the poster and the title contains one of the above, I definitely won't open it.

But, if anyone wants to vent, ramble, mumble, rant, make a point, rebut, or otherwise waste their time, this is a free country and so far a free forum, so good luck to them.

All I come here for is to learn more about affiliate marketing and maybe a little idle chit-chat, I'll get my fill of politics elsewhere, thanks.

[Step off soap box]

BTW, DianeHeather: where is your philosophy forum?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast