View Poll Results: Datafeeds

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (in what way?)

    24 60.00%
  • No

    4 10.00%
  • I don't use Datafeeds

    11 27.50%
  • Other

    1 2.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Full Member DianeHeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    257
    Has implementing Datafeeds effected your business in any way?

    <left class=sig><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=blue size=2>Gift Shopping Network</FONT>
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

  2. #2
    Full Member DianeHeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    257
    I haven't been using Datafeeds because, quite frankly I can't make heads nor tails of them. I am trying to learn however.

    So, I was just wondering if they really make a difference or not.

    Diane

    <left class=sig><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=blue size=2>Gift Shopping Network</FONT>
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador buy_online's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,234
    For me, datafeeds have done the following.

    Increased my costs.
    Increased my revenue.
    Increased my Net.

    Enough said...

    Merry Christmas

    Fred

    You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

  4. #4
    Full Member DianeHeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    257
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    For me, datafeeds have done the following.

    Increased my costs.
    Increased my revenue.
    Increased my Net.

    Enough said...

    Merry Christmas

    Fred

    You might just be a Redneck if - _Birds are attracted to your beard..._ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hi Fred, thanks for answering the poll. Sounds like Datafeeds are the wave of the future, especially considering that more and more merchants are offering them these days.

    Quick question. Do you use Webmerge also? Or, just what the merchant provides?

    Happy Christmas to you too.

    Diane

    <left class=sig><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=blue size=2>Gift Shopping Network</FONT>
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    804
    On one of my sites, I had about 1000 items, each of which I wanted to give a page. I managed to get about 50 of them made over the course of a week or two.

    I tried the free version of Webmerge and after spending a couple of hours wandering about in a fog, I was able to create about 50 more pages in about ten minutes.

    I bit the bullet and bought the full version and in a couple of hours I had all 1000+ pages up. There is a learning curve (and I'm still on the bottom of it) and it's not just plug and play, but it can save you all kinds of time.

    Even once you get your template built, there is lots to do to get it right, like making sure your database is complete and formatted correctly and getting rid of extra odd characters that will throw off your file names. I actually added a column to the database that contained what I wanted my file names to be. I took the actual product names, removed all characters like &#"':;,./, made all spaces into -'s. The names look better now, but I'll have to do it again each time I bring in a new copy of the database and rebuild my pages (probably won't happen too often).

    My opinion: well worth the money and time investment.

    Good luck,

    Ken

  6. #6
    Full Member DianeHeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    257
    Hi Ken, thank you for your post.

    I downloaded the trial version of Webmerge but it only allows you to produce 20 pages. What was the price of the full fledged copy of the software? I may need to invest in a copy if I want to keep up with the times.

    Diane

    <left class=sig><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=blue size=2>Gift Shopping Network</FONT>

    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

    Interested in Philosophy come to my forum: ><A href="http://forums.delphiforums.com/kabbalists"<FONT color=purple>Philosophy, Spirituality & Kabbalah

  7. #7
    ABW Ambassador buy_online's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,234
    I use WebMerge, but may go other ways...we'll see.

    Your question should have been - "...Webmerge or another scripting scheme?" Long story here.

    Fred

    You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

  8. #8
    Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,550
    Hi Diane,

    I'm getting ready to purchase my own Webmerge soon.

    I can only say I have seen it in action and how it was implemented onto a web site and it looks great. 1000's of pages in minutes, ofcourse learning does take days maybe weeks, but I think it's worth it.

  9. #9
    Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,550
    Fred

    Increased my costs.
    Increased my revenue.
    Increased my Net.
    ----

    Like those stats...especially "Net"

    Happy Holidays,

    Jorge

  10. #10
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    I just upload my first database last Friday.

    This month I bought the full version of WM and after some trail and errors with the Irv's datafile, I was able to finaly made over 1200 pages in a few minutes, now is only a matter of waiting for the search engines to their thing and send me some travelers soon...

    I voted for other now because until I sell something from any of those new pages, who knows.

    Wait, oh well... I just remember the question:

    "Has implementing Datafeeds effected your business in any way?"

    The only thing so far is that now Atomz tell me that the free ride is over, that they only index 500 pages for free:

    "Limit Exceeded for Atomz Express Search
    Your site contains more than the 500 pages allowed for Express Search."

    I find out on another site this info:

    "Prices: Free trial version) for 500 pages, on-demand updates, reports, no ads, just an Atomz logo. Paid version: $15,000 per year and up, depending on the number of domains and page (price went up as of spring 2003)."

    I hope I sell a lot of luggage in January because I really like Atomz but I don't have that amount today.


    ______________________________
    <font color="blue">I just fired myself today for being an idiot and hired me to do the work, now I will see who's right.</font>

  11. #11
    Full Member DianeHeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    257
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    I use WebMerge, but may go other ways...we'll see.

    Your question should have been - "...Webmerge or another scripting scheme?" Long story here.

    Fred

    You might just be a Redneck if - _Birds are attracted to your beard..._ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hi Fred,

    I'd love to hear the long story when you have a moment. I'm so new to datafeeds that any information would be appreciated.

    Diane

    <left class=sig><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=blue size=2>Gift Shopping Network</FONT>

    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

    Interested in Philosophy come to my forum: ><A href="http://forums.delphiforums.com/kabbalists"<FONT color=purple>Philosophy, Spirituality & Kabbalah

  12. #12
    Full Member DianeHeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    257
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrami:
    Hi Diane,

    I'm getting ready to purchase my own Webmerge soon.

    I can only say I have seen it in action and how it was implemented onto a web site and it looks great. 1000's of pages in minutes, ofcourse learning does take days maybe weeks, but I think it's worth it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hi Jrami,

    It's nice to meet you. How much does the Webmerge program cost? Any ideas?

    Diane

    <left class=sig><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=blue size=2>Gift Shopping Network</FONT>

    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

    Interested in Philosophy come to my forum: ><A href="http://forums.delphiforums.com/kabbalists"<FONT color=purple>Philosophy, Spirituality & Kabbalah

  13. #13
    Full Member DianeHeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    257
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jan72:
    I just upload my first database last Friday.

    This month I bought the full version of WM and after some trail and errors with the Irv's datafile, I was able to finaly made over 1200 pages in a few minutes, now is only a matter of waiting for the search engines to their thing and send me some travelers soon...

    I voted for other now because until I sell something from any of those new pages, who knows.

    Wait, oh well... I just remember the question:

    "Has implementing Datafeeds effected your business in any way?"

    The only thing so far is that now Atomz tell me that the free ride is over, that they only index 500 pages for free:

    "Limit Exceeded for Atomz Express Search
    Your site contains more than the 500 pages allowed for Express Search."

    I find out on another site this info:

    "Prices: Free trial version) for 500 pages, on-demand updates, reports, no ads, just an Atomz logo. Paid version: $15,000 per year and up, depending on the number of domains and page (price went up as of spring 2003)."

    I hope I sell a lot of luggage in January because I really like Atomz but I don't have that amount today.


    ______________________________
    _<font color="blue">I just fired myself today for being an idiot and hired me to do the work, now I will see who's right.</font>_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hi Jan,

    Are you telling me that the program costs $15,000 per year?

    Diane

    <left class=sig><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=blue size=2>Gift Shopping Network</FONT>

    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

    Interested in Philosophy come to my forum: ><A href="http://forums.delphiforums.com/kabbalists"<FONT color=purple>Philosophy, Spirituality & Kabbalah

  14. #14
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Hi Diane,

    The $15,000 per year have nothing to do with WM.

    Just go to the WebMerge forum to learn more about the program, bay the way the Webmerge program cost me 79.00 but you can get a free trial version to practice.

    Go here http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=frm&...9&f=8536090862. to learn more....

    ______________________________
    <font color="blue">I just fired myself today for being an idiot and hired me to do the work, now I will see who's right.</font>

  15. #15
    Newbie Affiliate Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,540
    Good thread Dianne.

    Jan: I just PM'ed ya.

    Ian Lee, M.Sc.

    Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com/affiliate.html
    604-596-9766

    Personal Sites: ADS-Links.com | HealthCastle.com

  16. #16
    Full Member DianeHeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    257
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jan72:
    Hi Diane,

    The $15,000 per year have nothing to do with WM.

    Just go to the WebMerge forum to learn more about the program, bay the way the Webmerge program cost me 79.00 but you can get a free trial version to practice.

    Go here http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=frm&...9&f=8536090862. to learn more....

    ______________________________
    _<font color="blue">I just fired myself today for being an idiot and hired me to do the work, now I will see who's right.</font>_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hi Jan,

    Thank you so much for the link, I had no idea they had a forum for these sorts of questions. I really appreciate it.

    Diane

    <left class=sig><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=blue size=2>Gift Shopping Network</FONT>

    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

    Interested in Philosophy come to my forum: ><A href="http://forums.delphiforums.com/kabbalists"<FONT color=purple>Philosophy, Spirituality & Kabbalah

  17. #17
    Full Member DianeHeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    257
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ian @ EYIProducts:
    Good thread Dianne.

    Jan: I just PM'ed ya.

    Ian Lee, M.Sc.

    Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com/affiliate.html
    604-596-9766

    Personal Sites: http://www.ads-links.com/ | http://www.healthcastle.com/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Thank you Ian.

    Diane

    <left class=sig><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=blue size=2>Gift Shopping Network</FONT>

    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

    Interested in Philosophy come to my forum: ><A href="http://forums.delphiforums.com/kabbalists"<FONT color=purple>Philosophy, Spirituality & Kabbalah

  18. #18
    Full Member markschok's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    269
    I use php-catalog and mysql. The difference ?
    "A page a day" tranforms into adding about 10 new items to the database. Once it's up and running this gets easier. Also I'm finding I get 1 st page placings in google for visitors searching for product specific info in google creating highly targeted shoppers - for myself in a niche market this helps(karaoke, dj & pro audio)
    I've only done this in the past month or so. I've noticed a big increase in visitors and only a small increase in sales but I'm still working on it.

    Karaoke Boogie shop

  19. #19
    Full Member DianeHeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    257
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markschok:
    I use php-catalog and mysql. The difference ?
    "A page a day" tranforms into adding about 10 new items to the database. Once it's up and running this gets easier. Also I'm finding I get 1 st page placings in google for visitors searching for product specific info in google creating highly targeted shoppers - for myself in a niche market this helps(karaoke, dj & pro audio)
    I've only done this in the past month or so. I've noticed a big increase in visitors and only a small increase in sales but I'm still working on it.

    http://www.schok.co.uk/kb/store/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hi there Mark, nice to meet a fellow Scot.

    Diane

    <left class=sig><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=blue size=2>Gift Shopping Network</FONT>

    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

    Interested in Philosophy come to my forum: ><A href="http://forums.delphiforums.com/kabbalists"<FONT color=purple>Philosophy, Spirituality & Kabbalah

  20. #20
    ABW Ambassador buy_online's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,234
    Diane,

    TO answer your question above. THere are several ways of generating pages. First, they can be "made" with a product like WebMerge, or they can be "made" with a script and a datafeed. Or they can be generated "on the fly," that is, when they are requested (someone clicking on a link). The scripts are usually PHP or perl, but can be asp and others too.

    Another Scot - excellent.
    "S'RIOGHAL MO DHREAM"

    Fred

    You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

  21. #21
    Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,040
    Jan72

    I manage the Irvs Luggage program so just wanted to wish you luck! Don't forget Executive Essentials, in with Irvs has it's own spereate datafeed and great selling products. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

    Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! <font color="#0000FF">Click Here!</font>

  22. #22
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Thanks Linda,

    I know who you are, since you'r the one responsible for my addiction to ABW...

    You send me to this board on Thursday, July 17, 2003 6:43 PM after replying to an email from me asking you about the Irv's datafeeds, soon I will be posting on your forum.

    Linda, I will like to Thank You again for sending me here that day because now I have learned more than just how to use a database.

    Sal.

  23. #23
    ABW Ambassador buy_online's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,234
    After my attack on AM's and their contests, I realized I made an error. Even after my comments about that, Linda came here and posted, and didn't bother to defend herself. Why should she?

    Linda runs great programs,and her constests seem to be good for most affiliates. I really should have excluded Linda from my comments.

    Have a nice Christmas Linda.

    Fred

    You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

  24. #24
    Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,550
    Hello Diane, All,

    I just purchased Webmerge last night at 12am. 15 Hours later, (well I've only really been online for about 10), I managed to generate about 1200 pages of jewelry from Mondera.

    I am also working on Irvs' Luggage so that I can see the 2 diff types of feeds and how they generate online.

    But, I still have alot of learing because 99% of my pages are not how I choose them to look yet.

    It is a pretty simple program to use and works fast. The first 5 hourse or so I was getting lots of erros.

    I am only about 20% into all the features it has and correcting the way the pages look and all the product images, etc.

    Highly recommended it,

    Thanks to all again,

    Jorge

  25. #25
    Full Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    480
    'I hope I sell a lot of luggage in January because I really like Atomz but I don't have that amount today.'

    gigablast.com has a "site search' box you can use. You have to enter each web page 1 at a time, limited to 100 per day. But, it is free and works well.

    You may also want to check out htdig .. it is free and runs on you own site.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New to Datafeeds
    By nzcid in forum Programming / Datafeeds / Tools
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 11th, 2011, 04:51 PM
  2. Datafeeds
    By shay0503 in forum Newbie Affiliate FAQs & Helpful Articles
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: September 25th, 2009, 06:37 PM
  3. Will the datafeeds in the merchants datafeeds thread track my commissions?
    By john9245 in forum Programming / Datafeeds / Tools
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 29th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •