View Poll Results: Will the Mad Cow scare...

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 61.11%
  • No

7 38.89%
  • Undecided

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ...effect some of our food clients ie: Hickory Farms, Omaha Steaks etc?

Diane

<left class=sig><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=blue size=2>Gift Shopping Network</FONT>

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

Interested in Philosophy come to my forum: ><A href="http://forums.delphiforums.com/kabbalists"<FONT color=purple>Philosophy, Spirituality & Kabbalah

ABW Ambassador
    It's my understanding that only certain parts of the cow and cause a prollllem.

Steak should be no touble but ground meat MAY have PARTS they don't tell you about.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam Ward:
    It's my understanding that only certain parts of the cow and cause a prollllem.

Steak should be no touble but ground meat MAY have PARTS they don't tell you about.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am vegan so I don't eat meat anyway, but do you think you will stop? Assumming of course, you are not a vegetarian already?

Diane

<left class=sig><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=blue size=2>Gift Shopping Network</FONT>

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

Interested in Philosophy come to my forum: ><A href="http://forums.delphiforums.com/kabbalists"<FONT color=purple>Philosophy, Spirituality & Kabbalah

the thing I dont understand is... how does a cow after butcher get distributed to 8 states and Guam?

how big was that cow anyway... 2000 pounds?? maybe...

let me see... beef is usually cut up into 2 maybe 4 large pieces of bulk beef....

Hmmmmm....

Must have been a slow news day... not much going on in Iraq....???

Think I'll go have a extra thick juicy steak for dinner....

Joe

SHH... I'm tryin to sleep...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm too much of a carnivore to stop eating meat! But I think I will be more careful in just which meat I do eat.

From what I understand, mad cow and similar diseases are transmitted by feeding naturally vegetarian animals food which is at least partly derived from animal-source protein. If that's correct, meat from animals which are fed grain or hay (without animal protien supplements) should be okay. (Okay meaning that it shouldn't have mad cow etc.)

So I'll be looking for sources which are likely to feed the animals what they should be fed and trying to avoid the typical "factory farm" (meatrix) offerings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's my understanding that only certain parts of the cow and cause a prollllem. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what the reports say but I don't buy it. I figure that the cow's blood travels all over its body and if the cow's diseased the blood most likely carries some contaminants. Current tests may only be able to pick up the concentrations of prions found in the brain and other nervous system tissue, but that doesn't mean that the other parts really don't have any! After all, the cow's bloodstream is what carried the contaminants in the feed it ate from the cow's digestive tract to its nervous system in the first place. And since the blood goes to all the meat, I would consider all the meat to be contaminated whether the tests can pick that up or not!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> beef is usually cut up into 2 maybe 4 large pieces of bulk beef.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At Farmer Jack (grocery) it was common for them to get boxes of beef pre-cut into retail sized pieces. This was done by some meat packer whose place in the supply chain would be just after the slaughterhouse. If the cow hit one of those places, it's highly likely that they would have sold some here, and some there, and some to another place...

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

Excellent post Leader, I agree with you entirely.

The thing I would be most concerned about is, it is against the law to feed animals animal parts in this country and the UK, but it is obviously still happening, otherwise this would not occur.

Of course, we have to remember that cheese and milk and all dairy products could be effected also. I am very glad that I am vegan.

Diane

[QUOTE]

Think I'll go have a extra thick juicy steak for dinner....[QUOTE]

Do you think you will still say that if it does become epidemic?

Diane

Just Lurking
    The way I've been burning food since coming to ABW I'm not worried -- characoal can't hurt me.

I don't see any reason long term to worry about meat consumption. Short term meat merchant might need a little leeway for a while.

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

The cause of BSE has never been proven.
    That it was caused by feeding cows animal protein is just a theory.

There is another theory that it was caused by chemical fertilizers that act like nerve gas.
    After fields in the UK were sprayed (by plane) with particular fertilizers there were spates of degenerative diseases (similar to BSE) amongst the local human populace.

This was never 'officially' investigated.

Let's hope this issue gets resolved quickly for the US! Our farmers suffered big time when the US banned our beef when 1 instance of mad cow disease was reported here. As far as I know, Canada is still importing US beef as of today.

I agree with ya Leader. It seems odd to me that a disease can be contained in 1 organ within a complex biological system.

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com/affiliate.html
    604-596-9766

Personal Site: ADS-Links.com

ABW Ambassador
    For a slightly funny, over the top explanation of what happens in modern meat farms.
    http://www.peta.org/feat/meatrix/

I think this will affect sales. Everything does. When people heard of Mad Cow in the UK the first go around, they bought less meat.

Of course it doesn't help that most reporters are confusing foot and mouth with BSE. Foot and mouth is what devastated the UK beef industry a year back, not BSE. BSE is not contagious like foot and mouth.

Chet

Ohmigod...

Someone tell me 'de-beaking' chickens doesn't really happen...

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radegast:
    Ohmigod...

Someone tell me 'de-beaking' chickens doesn't really happen...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not only does it happen but chickens have to the most filthy ground birds there are.

Wonder how many here have ever been to a slaughter house or factory farm (doubt that many have one those farms).

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm still going to eat beef. I'd die in 1 year if I switched to just eating Chocolate bars and chips.....ugh on salads. Cows are vegitarians and look where it's got them today!

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buddha:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radegast:
    Ohmigod...

Someone tell me 'de-beaking' chickens doesn't really happen...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not only does it happen but chickens have to the most filthy ground birds there are.

Wonder how many here have ever been to a slaughter house or factory farm (doubt that many have one those farms).

_"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you tell me why it's done?

I live close to a large nationally known pork farm/processing plant, a smaller pork plant, a large nationally known chicken plant, and a large nationally known beef processing plant. We also have a large amount of dairies, and a fair amount of mom and pop farms that sell organics. Suffice it to say it never smells good around here - but people do plant lots of lilac and jasmine and herb gardens.

That meatrix made me feel quite ill.

-patrice

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    "Can you tell me why it's done?"
    1. Because the chicken farmers doen't realize the tooth fairy doesn't recognize beaks as teeth....so they still save them.
    2.French chefs are still trying to perfect Chicken beak broth
    3. Chicken slaughter houses grind up the beaks and feet and sell them as filler to the cattle and pig feed suppliers.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I hate this little smiley thingie, but this time it's totally appropriate.

**shiver**

-patrice

Just Lurking
    Can you tell me why it's done?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They tend to peck each other to death when couped up in those factory farms. They don't have anywhere to run, they're packed in so tight, so it's a fight to the death.

Much like orange alert, I refuse to live in fear of mad cow. Make mine medium rare, preferably with grilled onions and mushrooms.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Cows are vegitarians and look where it's got them today!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not if they are in a modern farm system. Then not only are they meat eaters, but cannibals as well.

Chet

Buddha, yep, I kind of figured out that was why.

Karl is right, there's no point worrying about it, and the chances of anything happening are extremely rare.

Cases of similar illnesses in the UK are rising, but still extremely rare, and there is no proven connection to eating beef.

Also, these diseases were probably always around, only no-one knew what they were so the statistics were never collated.

Once you start looking for something, you find it everywhere.

This is all very sad.

I used to live close to a dear friend who would feed a hog for me and help me butcher it. That was best.

I sure miss Jenny since I moved.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phillyBurbs.com:
    Make mine medium rare, preferably with grilled onions and mushrooms.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>On the bright side, if scared people stop buying or convert to lettuce eaters, the prices will drop and us beef eaters will have cheap steaks

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ShoreMark:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phillyBurbs.com:
    Make mine medium rare, preferably with grilled onions and mushrooms.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>On the bright side, if scared people stop buying or convert to lettuce eaters, the prices will drop and us beef eaters will have cheap steaks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I would love to see that! I would be happy if the price of anything at the grocery store would go down!

I get tired of Cheese Burgers. This little guy doesn't though:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast