View Poll Results: Does showing the price really matter?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Increased clicks/higher conversions

6 26.09%
  • Increased clicks/lower conversions

1 4.35%
  • Lower clicks/increased conversions

7 30.43%
  • Lower clicks/lower conversions

2 8.70%
  • It doesn't make any difference

7 30.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is there any difference in click throughs and/or conversions if the price is shown on the affiliate site?

If the price is shown, what effect does it have:

Dang it,

How can this poll be comment free? Since it is I decided to correct it.

SandraR

I didn't vote because I didn't feel like any of the choices were totally accurate. It will almost always make a difference, but what that difference is will vary.

If it's a phenomenal price, it'll result it better clicks and conversions.

If it's a high price, it'll result in lower clicks and higher conversions (because most of the people who do click weren't bothered by the price).

If it's the WRONG price, it'll result in lower conversions.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

See http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=1896096193

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Andy,

I believe that by the end of this poll it will confirm this: if the price is shown is lower than what the visitor had in mind it will Increase clicks/higher conversions and if the price is not shown it may or may not Increase clicks/higher conversions, it will depend on too many factors, from the click to buy now, to the click to browse first for price and then you may get your visitor infected with parasites, crooks that overwrite your cookie, etc, etc.

In this poll you use the only five options available, but I tink there are two more options that could be a new poll question, I hope somebody else instead of me make this poll:

Do you display prices on your site, yes or no, explain....

---------------
    Now to answer this poll:

One example:
    I get lower clicks/increased conversions on the wonderfulbuys.com pages that have the price automatically shown (with the free websites they offer).

I get Increased clicks/lower conversions on the wonderfulbuys.com links that have no price but just send the visitor to wonderfulbuys.com.
    ---------------

If any body get confused on this reply, don't look at me, I'm still confused about it, but last December, wonderfulbuys.com was my best merchant of the month and 80% of my next check will come from those sales.

Sal.

Not showing the price gets them to the merchant site. If they go there, they my find something they like, even if they do not purchase the original item that interested them. If they don't go there, you get no cookie, no nothing.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

I agree with SSanf,

There are way to many variables with placing a price tag on the items. I have finally decided not to place a price tag, so I can get the customer to the merchant’s site. In this way the site can and will sell itself. As an affiliate that is our main objective getting people to a merchants site.

SandraR

Better add, don't get used to this Sandra (ssanf)

For us, the affiliates:

The advantage of showing the price; you my get the sale.

The disadvantage of showing the price is that if you do your pages with a datafeed, even if you offer the best price, you will have to be too busy uploading 1000's of pages every time the price change.

To me on one page, maybe is ok to show the price or the discount price, more than one page, no way josé, Just Click Here to Find the Best Price Today.

Sal.

That is the whole advantage of a datafeed. You don't have to update the pages. Just upload the new data to your database.

Very annoying is places like Best Buy that say price too low to display, put the item in your cart to see the price.

See how confusing this can get? I remember reading the thread that Haiko posted, but it doesn't really answer the question. I've tried added the price, then removing it, to see if it mattered. Sometimes it made a difference, other times it didn't.

I had conversions go up for a while after adding the price on one site, then they went back to normal. Then they dropped. So I took the price off, and up the conversions went again.

Whenever I think I've figured out what's best, I prove myself wrong. Hence the poll, I'd like to know what the majority experiences in this situation.

Andy

put the price + sale price, update them when new datafeed comes.

Buala no problem!
    conversion is good for me! so I will stick with the price showing, it will save the user time and if they don't like it means they can't afford it and they have to look for cheaper ones.

What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)

ABW Ambassador
    Depends on targeting. If they arrive expecting to see a price, then it helps conversion rates. Even if the price is inaccurate.

If they arrive expecting to see links for general product categories or stores, then prices are useless.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I refuse to showcase affiliate enabled merchants who expect to sell branded products online for full list price. I inform shoppers that the price I've shown might be lower...but it will never be higher!

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> put the price + sale price, update them when new datafeed comes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mrs. Happypoon,

I like that concept but, what do you do with merchants that update their datafeed almost daily?

Do you have the time to be changing and uploading 1000's of pages every time the merchant change the prices on some products?.

Before you answer, yes I know it can be done daily for one merchant but, if you have more than 10 merchants, where is the time to be fully updated on prices???????????????.

Sal.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It is absolutely a complete security breakdown for any merchant to release to ANY anonomous affiliate a datafeed with pricing attached. I, or anyone, can create a identity and CC theft site in 5 minutes with a datafeed. Upload the feed to any database enabled shopping cart/e-catalog program hosted for 25.00/month anonomously with a template/logos/graphics spoofing the real merchants site. Submit it too Google and even manipulate all Google links with a simple IE browser flaw to show the actual merchants URL in the browser address window. This is done by cyber-criminals lurking on this board every day!

Google has already been given legal papers by DA and FBI cybercrime units to uncover these plisher sites who like spammers hide their own identities. Datafeed files are hidden all over the P2P networks. Therefore all datafeed merchnats best only release feeds to trusted 3rd party comparision shopping sites with prices attached.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

- Is it better to display price on the product page? Do you get higher click-throughs? Higher Conversion?
    - Should I use a button or a link to send visitors to the merchant's site?
    - What should be the text of that link or a button? Buy Now? More Information?

The list of such questions can go on forever, and as an affiliate, you didn't really have a way to know for sure...

...that is until now.

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...5&m=1326067735

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com
    2500+ products in a data feed. 20% commission. 5 years cookie expiration.

Konstantin,

Great idea there! Genius!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It is absolutely a complete security breakdown for any merchant to release to ANY anonomous affiliate a datafeed with pricing attached. I, or anyone, can create a identity and CC theft site in 5 minutes with a datafeed. Upload the feed to any database enabled shopping cart/e-catalog program hosted for 25.00/month anonomously with a template/logos/graphics spoofing the real merchants site. Submit it too Google and even manipulate all Google links with a simple IE browser flaw to show the actual merchants URL in the browser address window. This is done by cyber-criminals lurking on this board every day. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike & Charlie,

I agree 100%, but.........

You two better stop giving ideas to new crooks and lurkers around here.

Sal.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't show prices because I want the people to click on over to the merchant's site. Once they're there, they may buy other items even if they decide the price for the original item is too much.

With merchants where I get to see what the people bought, it's interesting to note that a lot of what sells is not what the person originally clicked on. And yesterday a person did buy what they clicked on, but along with that they bought 6 other items!

Would they have done that if I displayed the price? Probably not, it's a bit on the high end for the kind of thing it is, IMO, but the atmosphere of this particular merchant site has a tendency to wipe out people's normal frugality.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    @Mr Sal

The key to using a datatfeed "for us since we include price" is not just fast generation but effective tools to automate the process itself.

We can schedule a job to be run at a certain time daily or weekly or on Tuesday and Friday just as easily as we can on demand. Our tools not only support fast generation, but much more. I wont get into specifics of my tools capabilities for competitive reasons but I built them myself and I've been in software development for 20 years.

If the process is automated it doesn't matter if it's updated daily or not. You may have a need for multiple pcs eventually to handle the workload though Our automated processes can still require manual intervention (only because I wanted it that way rather than ignoring certain events) but relavent details are written in a log file (when in batch mode) regarding a particular job that can be acted on if needed.

Automation is the key component for us and we believe that having the price shown is the overall best marketing strategy or we sure wouldn't being doing extra work to accommodate it.

Products come and go and by updating our sites regularly, we not only are quick to get those products scanned, but the links on our site end up going to products that are in stock and on the item the user is looking at.

Myself, I think it's foolish to get a datafeed, don't put prices on it to avoid wo*k and then "upload it and forget it". Dead product links, out of stock messages on products at the merchants site and missed opportunities is not what we want as a long term strategy in the sites we develop.

** Have you asked for change? **

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Myself, I think it's foolish to get a datafeed, don't put prices on it to avoid wo*k and then "upload it and forget it". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Needless to say, I disagree! IMO it's a waste of time and bandwidth to update (or have a program update) something that probably hasn't been changed on the merchant side in weeks anyway. And when the only thing that's changed is the price, there's no out-of-stocks or dead links to contend with on those old pages.

Of course, there are some merchants who actually change things significantly (ie, more than just changing the price) but they're a small fraction of the ones I deal with. It's easy enough to catch those few exceptions.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Sal:
    The disadvantage of showing the price is that if you do your pages with a datafeed, even if you offer the best price, you will have to be too busy uploading 1000's of pages every time the price change.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The updating can be automated by cronjobs.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>IMO it's a waste of time and bandwidth to update (or have a program update) something that probably hasn't been changed on the merchant side in weeks anyway<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with this 100%!

** edited to add **
    My tools (unlike me) are sophisticated

There are too many people who get turned off when prices aren't shown. We find it irritating. And, why lose such potential customers???

Because of that, we make sure to put forth the extra effort in our business:

We show a sharp-looking pic of the product, the price, and MORE of a description of the product. One of the reasons so many don't get click throughs when a price is shown is because not enough is told about that product. So, why would they click on it???

We also make sure to do our homework (Does that product have a good price??? ... And so forth.). We don't JUST throw links up.

In additon to that products page, we make sure to let our customers know that there are many other great products, and we give them the pics. Make it appealing enough, and you have a click through going to that site, even though they may not like the price of the showcased product. They'll click on one of the other links that takes them to that site.

Next to the price and longer than the usual two-line desc. of the product we put the word, "More..." in place of the typical, "Buy Now." Buy now sounds too definite. What if they don't want to buy it now??? When they click on "More..." it takes them to the site.

For our datafeed pages we make sure that they have the prices, along with pics of different products that they will find there.

Doing it like this covers everyone, so our chances of getting a higher click through is at it's highest.

Sincerely, The Troll

ABW Ambassador
    Processing Command ^Upload(a_particular_site)^.
    *** 853 files were inspected and 0 changed. The amount of data that was inspected was 3028758 bytes of which 0 bytes were uploaded and the optimization saved you 3028758 bytes of bandwidth on your server ***

I know when files are changed "or stopped being updated" and to what extent they are really updated by merchants.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast