View Poll Results: Where is the new anti spam law?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

9 31.03%
  • No.

1 3.45%
  • I don't care.

0 0%
  • That law will not work.

18 62.07%
  • It will take some time to be effective.

1 3.45%
    It is January 4, 2004 here and so far I have received about 500 spam emails, in only 4 days of the new anti spam law year.

Do you still get spamed too?

<font color="blue">It will be nice if your sig is different from your post, too many sig here look's more like spam, even some full members here dont bother to make their sig text different from the post they make.</font>

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm going to make an effort to send some of the 250 common spam messages I get to spamcop.net Seems the wanks running their spamm machines haven't even paused to reflect on the consequences.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I get several hundred a day. Most spammers are ignoring the law. I'm not surprised, though if the government will make some examples out of a few of the U.S. spammers, that will (i hope) help curtail the U.S. based spam.

IMO, it's really a pathetic way to make a living.

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of today."

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Soory don't want to imply anything, but did you realistically expect this to do anything to alleviate the spam?

Don't think so

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

I wish Cool Cat Network would be another example. Jerks send me over 100 emails a day.

SandraR

So much of it comes from overseas I am afraid they will never get it under control.

is that all you got.... 400 emails in for days????

how about 600 everyday... no let up since CanSpam...

most are from US "promoters" guess the work has not gotten out...

Joe

And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

I think I am getting even more spam now...

ABW Ambassador
    Technololgy, email providers, ISPs should handle the problem, never let the government get into it. They made SPAM legal if Spammers include a postal address and I think Spammers took this new act as a challenge so we'll probably just see more and more of it and from what people are posting less of legitimate opt in mail/newsletters. So more unsolicited mail, less solicited

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on January 04, 2004 at 02:07 PM.]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've seen a few less spams, but I usually get less on the weekend. So I'll wait until tomorrow before trying to make any guesses as to whether I'll get less spam. I know I got more spam just before the law went into effect!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They made SPAM legal if Spammers include a postal address <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've already gotten spams with addresses. But it was a P.O. Box, not the "physical address."

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

I've seen a big increase in the "server bounce" spams over the past couple days..

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Can-Spam, It's The Law!

Wearing seatbelts is the law which protects your life.

You think people sending spam even care about a ridicules law.

It's almost like Gun Control (even do I hate guns) but certain gun control laws only affect the good people that are scared and don't want any trouble, but the Cons, who cares?

I read most of the spam comes from Chinese servers, don't think they will be at all worried about any new laws.

What concerns me though, is that last year 2 of my domains were used by spammers as the "From" address. I got all the bounced emails plus the hate emails from those recieving the spam.

So, now emails have to have an address and phone number. What is to stop the spammers just putting my (or your) address and phone number in the emails. Spammers don't care about the "From" email address, or a correct postal address or phone number, all they want to do is get a clickable link in front of as many people as possible.

This law could be very bad news if you own a domain name (and we all do here, probably very many each), and the spammers decide to use your domain name.

The consequences of this happening are just too terrible to think about.

Believe me, when your domain is being used the hate mail you get can be very abusive, just image if they had your phone number.

I don't think this law has been thought through properly. I can't see it stopping spam but I can see it leaving innocent wesite owners very exposed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeventiesMartin:
    Believe me, when your domain is being used the hate mail you get can be very abusive, just image if they had your phone number.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be the best possible news. After receiving even 1 nasty/threatening phone call. You can actually get the Police - FBI and every possible service agency to get busy on nasty/threat phone calls.

It is by far the best thing to happen, they will track the spammer like a dog they are. (pc comment: love dogs just making a point)

The only person I would feel sorry for is my neighbor, she is the prosecuting attorney. I could keep her busy till she retires.

SandraR

To be honest, I was hoping the new law would decrease the incoming SPAM in my own account but I guess when you want something really badly, you sometimes believe it's going to be true even though reality says otherwise.

I especailly love the spammers who use my domain to mail out spam and I get all the bounce backs.

Where do I report the spams to collect my 20% bounty

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com/affiliate.html
    604-596-9766

Personal Site: ADS-Links.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Spammers need to watchout for the FTC.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Communications Commission said on Monday it has fined Fax.com almost $5.4 million for sending unsolicited advertisements via facsimile machines, the largest fine ever imposed for such a violation.
    The FCC said on 489 occasions the California-based company, which faxes messages for clients for a fee, violated the law and regulations that prohibit companies from sending junk faxes.

Fax.com had told the commission that the ban on junk faxes was unconstitutional and the fine, proposed in August 2002, was excessive. The agency fined the company $11,000 per incident.

The FCC ordered Fax.com to file a report within 30 days informing regulators whether it has complied with the law and regulations barring junk faxes.

Who says they won't look for spam fines?

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Who says they won't look for spam fines? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I do because the ONLY ones they'll look for are the HUGE companies that can pay the fines. They're not gonna do diddly with the 50 million others sending 50 million a freakin' day~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone

My solution to spam…

All of the affiliate companies forbid it. The rogue affiliates are the problem. I have a friend that works at one of the major affiliate companies and his job is to find abusers and boot them. It is hard for him to find out who the violators are but the clients get very angry when this happens so they really want to stop it.

And… the only way to stop these affiliates is to get them booted from the affiliate programs. They use bogus servers to send out the emails and fake return addresses. Reporting them does little to nothing.

So here is what I do… when someone sends me an ad I follow the link which usually asks you to fill out your name and address, etc. In the text areas I put "this affiliate sent me SPAM mail" over and over. The affiliates might initially get credit for the lead but when the lead is reviewed by the company it will be charged back and reported to the program manager at the affiliate company.

Kimberly

Sounds like a good idea, but when you receive thousands of email spam a day that idea makes it’s an impossible task unfortunately.

SandraR

That's a pretty good idea, valenkim.

I do sometimes fill in the lead generator ones (e.g. mortgages) with bogus information. Just think, if a few hundred people fill in fake information for every spam run the whole spam-based system could fall apart for that type of spam campaign.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, a good idea. I will try to track the affiliates down and report them to the merchants.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    That's a pretty good idea, valenkim.

Just think, if a few hundred people fill in fake information for every spam run the whole spam-based system could fall apart for that type of spam campaign.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I don't think the spam industry would fall apart because of garbage data. You must remember the data is collected by marketers not scientists. In marketing fake data is as good as real data, as the marketers will read whatever they want into the data anyway.

I have about 20 fake and abandonned email addresses that absorb about 2000 spams a day. Judging from the fact that the spam never stops tells me that the marketers in spam are happy collecting and selling junk information.

I think there should be another general law in marketing: Given any data set a marketing company will be able to conclude that they should get paid more.

sound thinking

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread