• About $10 per hour

2 5.26%
  • About $20 per hour

7 18.42%
  • About $50 per hour

8 21.05%
  • $100 per hour or more

11 28.95%
    yintercept had a good idea for a poll in another message, so I thought I would post it.

When you take your total profit from affiliate programs over the past year divided by the number of hours you've worked on your sites over the past year, how much have you made per hour?

To help your calculations, 40 hours per week is about 2000 hours per year.

This is a tough one... I have no idea how many hours we actually put in on our sites..

ABW Ambassador
    If you are measuring only the money you've made on your efforts up until now, you are missing the most important point. It's the income that you will earn in the future from your past efforts that make the efforts worthwhile.

I've got sites that I've spent 40-50 hours on that haven't earned $100 yet....on the other hand, I've got sites that I spent 40-50 hours on 2 years ago that are bringing in $400-500 per month now with 1-2 hours upkeep.

So don't worry about what your hourly wage is now, think about what it will be 5 years hence.

I think we're on the same page here. If you've been in the game a year or more, you should have enough coming in from those older sites to make the number more pertinent.

Without that upkeep and time spent developing new sites, your earnings would quickly decline.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I became an affiliate to get away from working by the hour.

ABW Ambassador
    Profit? I can almost hear the Ferengi talking...

Well if I wasn't sitting in front of the computer I would probably be out spending money. Can I figure in my savings?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 40 hours per week is about 2000 hours per year. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*Mind goes numb with the rememberence that a lot of people actually work THAT much...*

Geez 8 hours/day, that's 1/3 of a day! Life's too short to waste that way!!

<--W*rks about 1/10th that much. [Posting at ABW does *not* count in that figure.)

ABW Ambassador
    People with 9-5 jobs don't work 8 hours a day. They work maybe two hours and politic the rest of the day away. For that matter, it seems there is a inverse relation to how high you are in a company and how much actual work you have to do.

I think this is a relevant poll. What we do as human beings is trade our time for cash. You have x number of hours to invest...you get y amount of cash.

Of course, there are really weird exponential equations that go on when you own your own company. Affiliate marketing has even stranger things going on as we have computers doing all the work. We just code out instructions.

Regardless, this is closer to the poll you need to make a career choice.

sound thinking

ABW Ambassador
    Keeping track of how many hours i work sounds like what i would do if i had a job. And if i figured it out, it wouldn't change anything.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> People with 9-5 jobs don't work 8 hours a day. They work maybe two hours and politic the rest of the day away. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's office work. But with f*ctory work, a lot of the time the only serious nonwork time is the official break or if a machine dies!

That said, I do think the poll is useful. Unfortunately, money vs. time is about the only way to make an objective financial comparison with empl*yment.

But as we all know, finances are just one factor in the decision to leave the b*ss behind...

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But as we all know, finances are just one factor in the decision to leave the b*ss behind...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doing what you enjoy is more important than how much you make per hour. Anyone with their own business probably puts in more hours than at a regular job. Who wouldn't work harder when they are working for themselves? The thing about this biz is you get to set your own hours. The bad thing is you never know when google is going to give you a pay cut or even a pink slip.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread