View Poll Results: How much do you pay a month for advertising?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • none

44 48.35%
  • $25-$100

15 16.48%
  • $100- $150

1 1.10%
  • $150-300

6 6.59%
  • $300+

25 27.47%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How much do you pay a month for advertising? including ppc listings,newsletter advertising, etc on average

ABW Ambassador
    Shouldn't there be a $1000+ option?

Big Daddy Smokes
    Real American Tobacco
    FAST Shipping
    Residual Income
    Lifetime Accounts
    http://www.bigdaddysmokes.com/recruit2.html
    affmgr@bigdaddysmokes.com

Adam I have to join in with you. Looks like the poll was skewed to a newbie.

I've spent up to 10,000 in a one month period.... (Prior to parasite infection)

Allen

Show me the Big Bucks!

I've spent up to 10,000 in a one month period- Dam that's a alot of $. . I can only afford to spend $25-$100 a month. I guess I will have to work on some new pages, so I can make more $

Ditto here Adam.

We're regularly in the $3-5k/mo. range. Can expect to go a bit higher during the holidays. Even with scumware returns can be had if you tightly manage your ROI.

Results aren't static, even within the same program. Results can change week to week dramatically--even see some programs drop off entirely on a monthly basis.

And then there's CJ's 'upgrades' that seem to torpedo everything...

DNASHOP

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I guess those who have Cybersquatted trademark or merchant brand named domains like Amazonbooks.net spend some bucks on advertising to lure in duped shoppers. Spending 10K per month promoting an affiliate site requires you dominate the SE listings. Damn shame that successful affiliate marketing is often equated with killing off your SE competitors.

"Amazon.com Wins Tussle Over Lookalike Web Site
    Fri August 15, 2003 12:44 PM ET
    GENEVA (Reuters) - A web site owner arguing online retailer Amazon.com Inc AMZN.O cannot lay exclusive claim to the name of the world's second longest river to sell goods on the Internet learned on Friday that ... well, yes it can.
    Arbitrators for the United Nations copyright agency WIPO told the Arizona man behind amazonbooks.net and amazonbooks.org to hand them over to Seattle-based Amazon.com that sells products round the globe.

Paul Horner told WIPO by e-mail in response to a complaint from the big brand-name that his sites provide resources about the River Amazon to potential travelers or people who just wanted to learn more about it.

But the three arbitrators found that the sites offered scant original information on the mighty South American waterway other than links to others with which Horner had no connection, and that they looked suspiciously like amazon.com.

Worse, they said in a report issued by WIPO which runs a system to settle disputes over web site names, amazonbooks.net and .org provided links to sites -- which include rival retailer E-Bay -- competing with the Seattle firm.

It was, said the three wise men, "a reasonable inference that (Horner)....was motivated by the prospect of attracting consumers who erroneously visit these sites" rather than those operated by Amazon.com.

Since the dispute settlement was launched nearly four years ago, WIPO -- World Intellectual Property Organization -- has settled hundreds of rows over web site names, many involving famous people or brands."

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I spend between $0 and $25 per month.

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

I spend 27 cents in ink printing paper is free (barter system for advertising on my site) 2 packs of yugi oh card to nephew to deliver flyers, have to keep cost down since i make $5 a month so far

I Learned Half Of What I Know From The Worst Teachers Going - David Lee Roth

There is nothing inherently wrong with SE advertising. Its pretty obvious from the posts on this thread and the board in general that most affiliates are natural search centric--which is great.

The challenge is there are very few who can do both SE adv. and natural optimization well.

There is nothing inherently wrong with SE advertising though--it does not mean anyone who does SE adv. is solely scalping on trademarks. Some undoubtably are, but to say that as a general rule is shortsighted.

If it works for you--go with it. I would argue a balanced approach works best, but if you're doing this as more than a side gig you had better be pretty adept at one or the other.

Haven't spent anything at all yet. Considering tabloid newspapers. What think you?

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Hmmm, interesting question. When our billboards went up this month, it was the first advertising expense we showed on paper [well, excluding the mascot costume we purchased two years ago].

If we had to pay for our newspaper ads, we'd probably be looking at a six-figure expense. And the trade deal for TV ads would likely be the same.

But the actual line item for marketing/advertising has been incredibly small.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

I don't spend any money on my main earning website but I do spend up to $1,000 a month on some pure PPC search engine fodder websites. These sites were made specifically to be promoted via PPC search engines and do bring in a return of $2-4 for every $1 spent on advertising.

I started off spending a fortune on PPC but lately I've been concentrating on SEO. I still have a few sites that require PPC traffic to generate sales but I prefer FREE clicks.

Predictable, really I suppose. It was an act of purest optomism to have posed the question in the first place. (John Cleese: Cheese Shop)

I used to advertise but I don't have to anymore.

PPC is a great way to start delivering you traffic on a new site while you wait for your SEO tactics to kick in.

How much you spend depends on how deep your pockes are, how many searches there are and CPC.

My problem with advertising was ROI. Very few items were profitable for me and the ones that were received very little traffic. Most times I either lost money or it just wasn't enough to make it worth while. I now stick with the free traffic and so far so good.

ABW Ambassador
    Umm, you mean you have to pay for advertising?

Newly, happily unemployed. Free at last.. thanks to affiliate marketing.

It's situational, but in our case, our recent advertising blitz is more of a branding effort than a direct call to action. We won't quantify it in terms of ROI.

In fact, one of the greatest immediate benefits is that our advertisers are excited that we're making such an effort. That has made it much easier to sell sponsorship packages for things like our Car Search and Home Search. Of course, we're expecting the effort to also result in more traffic, which has a certain value to it as well, since we sell a fair quantity of CPM banner packages.

I also recall another thread where Ms. Mary Sunshine pointed out that her accountant suggested she spend more money on advertising so that she wouldn't take such a hit in taxes at the end of the year. Another option, I suppose.

Karl Smith

All I pay is the Inktomi paid inclusion fee for the most important pages, nothing else. Did try some PPC a while ago, but also prefer FREE traffic

YOURsoft affiliate software
    Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Umm, you mean you have to pay for advertising?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems to me that fact that people have to pay for advertising is the reason performance advertising exists. But I may be wrong. I usually am. I know for a fact that Overstock.com affiliate program exists only so they can distribute money to deserving affiliates . But I suspect other programs aren't as altruistic.

As for advertising expenses. If you have a page that is doing sufficiently well (let's say it is acheiving $.50 per pv), then advertising it for a nickel per pv is a smart idea. Even bidding a quarter per pv would be a juicy positive return.

Come to think of it. Isn't this why companies have open ended affiliate programs. The company is simply paying a portion of their margin to attract users. The merchant doesn't have an affiliate budget. They will take all the traffic they can get because it is all about margins.

sound thinking

Actually I'm starting to do well with no advertising cost with 1 domain.... all in google and other search engines free...

Come on, The sign of intelligent people is their ability to control
    emotions by the application of reason.
    -- Marya Mannes, "More in Anger", 1958

Yintercept you are absolutely right but you sound focused on merchant advertising rather than affilaite advertising. It's much easier to have a profit margin if you are the merchant. I know of very few opportunities for affilaites to advertise effectively. Of course they do exist but they are closely guarded secrets.

Heyder:

I think that depends on how you define effective.

Karl Smith

I'm only speaking of how things are from my own vantage point as an affiliate. I would advertise if I was better at it.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Ever wonder what the advertising budget is for gator -WhenU and eBates??

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast