View Poll Results: Affiliate Shopping Mall domains or small niche domains?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, go with Shopping mall

1 4.76%
  • No go with niche sites

9 42.86%
  • Yes, shopping mall, lots of catergories

6 28.57%
  • No shopping mall but based around say clothes only no electronics etc

1 4.76%
  • No buy a domain and make a site for every niche, i.e auto parts, clothes

4 19.05%
    Here was an email i emailed to another memeber, im waiting to hear back, but in the mean time wanted to find out well read it

Ok hey guyz, wanted to ask what you think works, heres a email i sent to jason one of the other members, instead of me writing same question again, ill post it here as it has my questions in it, also if you can provide URLS for sites (shoppingmalls) that are generating large sales, afiliate sites i mean, I would like to see some examples, anyway here was my email to him.

Hey there Jason, can you tell me based on owning, running xtrmeshopping.org does the large shopping mall concept work? like you list many catergories and many products each catergory isnt related, so basically the site is one big shopping mall, I was told that having sites based around one catergory works better, yet its expensive to keep buying domains for each catergory when i could place them all on page site/domain and then track which ones do best and then start sites from there, so if the sports section was making sales I would know ok, go create a domain.site based on sports.

any ideas, suggesstion, comments or recommendations? based on your sales from your site?

it's up to you.. if you have the time to spend 30-40 hours or more a week... do a huge site, if you don't then just make sites your interested in.

I'm unemployed and love it!, Thanks Affiliate marketing for giving me that freedom!

But isnt that what you have done jason, created one big MALL site, where you promote everything?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jasonco12:
    it's up to you.. if you have the time to spend 30-40 hours or more a week... do a huge site, if you don't then just make sites your interested in.

I'm unemployed and love it!, Thanks Affiliate marketing for giving me that freedom!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The poll doesn't have my answer: Some of each kind.

A mall's good because if a merchant dies or a product is a dud, chances are that at least some of the other products/merchants will do well. Also a mall is a great way to test a lot of product lines without investing "on speculation" in a bunch of different domain names and multisite hosting.

A single-category site can also bring in great revenues, matching or exceeding a mall, but they're chancier. The main merchant may die, or people may simply not want the items as much as you thought they would. (I don't say "niche" because of the connotation with "small." While some are indeed small, some single-category sites may be quite large!)

My experiences with single-category sites have been hit-and-miss. On the other hand, I've always had good luck with malls. But when a single-category does hit, it hits big.

So I have some of each type and wouldn't go with just one or the other.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

I agree with Leader. I created niche sites when I was first learning and now I'm putting together a mall. I think that being diverse is the key to a steady income...

CDC

I Can't Complain But Sometimes I Still Do

Yes I did a huge mall, so that works :0).

I'm unemployed and love it!, Thanks Affiliate marketing for giving me that freedom!

Do you invest in stocks, or just go with a mutual fund? Individual stocks may have wilder swings, but if something goes wrong with company managing a mutual fund, you can be out your whole investment.

I go with niche market web sites, but I have a number of them in different fields. I have a common engine behind most of them so they are easy to manage, but I format them differently so they don't all look alike or depend on the same search engine optimization approaches. Some do great right off the bat, others take a while to build up speed and become steady performers with time.

I work mostly content or product recommendation sites, typically giving the visitor strong reasons to buy from only 1 or 2 merchants, but including up to 10 options. The strong recommendation approach seems to get much higher conversions (subject to my really believing the merchant is offering something good for the visitor).

With multiple sites, I don't have to worry about new Google algorithms so much - while some may fall, other sites rise. Sure the loss of a major vendor can hurt an individual site, but the net reduction in sales is no different than it would be with a monster mall.

But, this approach means building more expertise and investing moretime in each site for a different look and feel and writing some content. If these aren't your strengths, then the monstermall approach is your better bet.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

Hey Guys,

I dont think it matters "much" ... more important is making sure you get visitors to your pages. They can be hosted on:

myshoppingdomain.com

or

mynichedomain.com

Get people to the right page looking for what your selling and you will make money. Did'nt we go over this last week.

Sometimes I think affiliates over analize things and data ;-)

Cheers,

Brian Johnson (Chef Brian)
    Seek and you shall find
    myrxforless.com | My Affiliate Programs

I am in the midst of trying to set up a couple of sites and I think that I will likely follow Leader's advice on this. I think that a mall will work if done properly and along with a series of smaller more product-niche focused sites might do it for me.
    I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, so I'm starting a little slow. I hope to have something online by next month, but I don't expect much in the way of results for a couple of months. Hopefully my learning curve won't be too steep.
    I like the idea of using some pages for product testing (almost like an incubation area) and possibly moving some items or ideas offsite to their own sites if feasible. The diversification angle is something I'll think about.

Latest Survey Results show that 85% of snowblowers are sold to lonely snowmen...

I have to agree with Leader. The mall is a great way to to test a wide range of products as well as merchants. Use it to test your own abilities as well. You can use the mall to even out seasonal market fluctuations as well as capitalize on holidays and special events throughout the year. After your first year with the mall site you'll know how to plan for upcoming sales spurts.

Find out what's working for you and then build separate "niche sites". I started with a 3 page mall and built it up to 1000 pages in four years with a part time effort. Luckily I didn't expect overnight riches, but chose a slow, steady approach. The income curve has grown steadily upwards with very few spikes up or down.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Initially I created a monster shopping mall primarily because I could not decide what I was most interested in. When traffic started to wan, I started to bleed off traffic from my mall into all my other niche areas (interests), in this manner my mall has started to grow again. Consumers not interested in visiting a mall can simply visit a specialty shop.

SandraR

Yup, that looks like the way to go. I noticed some people saying that they've got several malls. I guess almost like having a "niche mall." This presents so many opportunities to tweak and adapt your sites. The updating must be difficult to keep up with. (But a problem I think I'll be looking forward to doing. Sort of like...hmmm, what will my visitors want this week?)
    I think I'll probably take a slower course like you did, Erninator. Although I am very excited about this and trying to do everything at once, I want to make sure I don't spread myself out too thinly because I want to have some quality to my site. I also don't want to overanalyze the site by trying to get it perfect before I put it out there.
    I have to remember.. baby steps. Walk, then run

Thanks for your imput Sandra and Ernie. I'm learning something new everyday on these boards!

Latest Survey Results show that 85% of snowblowers are sold to lonely snowmen...

ABW Ambassador
    The mall route will most likely show you more about each merchant listed within.
    If they're a winner, use that money to branch off to a single site on the merchant/subject. Don't start a single site with an unproven merchant. And a few sales does not a proven merchant make . . . wait several months to make sure they can still produce. I've had several start off with large payouts only to dry up soon afterwards. (You may ask CJ the reasons why~!)

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Thanks Brian.
    Good advice.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread