View Poll Results: If you were to develop a new site, would you pay more than $20. for the domain - and why?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO - What a waste of money.

30 61.22%
  • NO - I can't afford the expensive domains, but would like to.

2 4.08%
  • YES - There is great value in a domain name that's a little better looking/easy to remember.

15 30.61%
  • YES - There aren't any good names left, they're all taken.

0 0%
  • YES - I like to spend money/don't understand what you are asking (duh?).

2 4.08%
    I'm not talking about taking over someone else's site/doamin, simply adding to your "stable" of sites. With the number of .com's and .net's available now, why would one want to pay more than the standard $7.95 G*D*addy price?

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

ABW Ambassador
    While there still are plenty of great names out there, this is sometimes the difference between a site being SE dependent, and getting return type-in traffic.

Once they get to your site, do they remember to type it back in when they are thinking about purchasing? Or do they just search google again?

It really depends. For yet another computer parts site built just on datafeeds? Waste of money. But for a concept that is "sticky", having a brandable site makes a huge difference. And to heck with .net,.org, .us - anything not .com is a waste.

Chet

I would never pay more than $9.95 for any .com name.

I know that almost any .com name could be worth Million's down the road if who ever register the name knows what he's/she's is doing.

Even ugly names and made up names have the same possibility of becoming a multi million dollars deals in the future.

Need some proof?, just look at these names and remember the original cost they pay to register those names for the first time:

amazon, abc, about, 123, ebay, yahoo, cj, altavista, sex, etc.....

It all depends on what they are used for and the publicity they get.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Waste of money. I can think up decent domains with just a few minutes of trying out various possibilities. No matter what the product line or content topic, there is almost sure to be some available name which is brandable. It may take getting 20 "sorry, taken" messages before I hit it, but I have yet to have to pay extra to secure something worth having.

As for the domains getting type-ins, I have had that happen with some. Unfortunately, though, the traffic which comes when I first register a name is usually not looking for what I have put on the site.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    But jan, look at the success of yahoo,ebay,amazon - what do you see? Simple to remember words. If you want to build a brand, make it simple.

And there are still some out there, look at clubmom for example, at first it is a so what name, but really it is a great brandable name. Much better than momrewards, momsonwheels,clubmomrewards, or really even mom.com (clubmom owns all of those domains).

I had a nice surprise once at being at a party and hearing someone talk about one of my sites. It was a 100% affiliate site, but no one ever thinks of it that way. He refered to the site by name, without the .com and I heard a few people say they would check out ****** when they got home.

Chances are they didn't forget the name when they got home. It is 100% on target, "cute" and very brandable, in fact I need to get off my butt and build it up more.

I don't worry about that for all my sites, many SE based sites are even .us and do fine (no .biz, spammers ruined them). But a really good name, like the mentioned men.com, can make "viral" marketing easy even for the lazy.

Chet

"But jan, look at the success of yahoo,ebay,amazon - what do you see? Simple to remember words. If you want to build a brand, make it simple."

Chez,

I agree, that was the point I was trying to make by saying:
    "almost any .com name could be worth Million's down the road if who ever register the name knows what he's/she's is doing."

And there are still some good names available out there, but only the way they use those names in their marketing projects, is what at the end will make or brake that name.

I still remember when amazon started and see what they use that name for, nothing to do with:
    ----------------
    A major South American river that flows into the South Atlantic, the world's 2nd longest river (4000 miles),
    or about in (Greek mythology) one of a nation of women warriors of Scythia (who burned off the right breast in order to use a bow and arrow more effectively)
    ----------------

They just wanted to make amazon, the world biggest book store online and that is what most of the people remember now when they see the name amazon on the net.

So I still think that any good to remember name is good even if it sounds unusual at the moment, if you use it right and have the money to do mass media advertising over and over for awhile or until people remember that name, sometimes an unusual name is more easy to make people remember it because is new to them and problably easy to spread around by word-of-mouth.

Maybe that's why when we learn a new language, most of the time the first few word's we learn are the bad word's and those word's stay on our memory for ever, why?.. I don't know why, but that is the fact.

Sal

ABW Ambassador
    ABW --

I'm not sure if any of you know about these GREAT resources for domain name minding:

http://www.nameboy.com/
    http://www.deleteddomains.com/

NameBoy is great because it actively allows you to enter word concepts and it will pull together a list of domain names (and look up their availability) based on up to two keywords you enter. It's been invaluable for us...

DeletedDomains is also great as you can do a detailed power search for deleted domains that nobody is using anymore (but might have had an active site on it).

Cheers!

PS: See our new CandlePeople Full Page Ads at http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...1&m=4356047725

Andrew Edmond
    CandlePeople Affiliate Manager
    http://www.candlepeople.com

ABW Ambassador
    DO NOT REGISTER YOUR NAME AT NAMEBOY.COM

Feel free to use this bastards resources, but the guy who runs the site is one of the biggest scumbags on the net.

He was paying spammers a bounty to link to his anti-spam site,the now defunt globalremoval.com, which you had to pay something like $30 to be added to a do not spam list - that of course no one used. So he was actually paying people to spam!!

So please, do not support this scumbag.

Chet

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I picked up a couple of great expiring domain names, one of which was developed, the other never developed at all, from www.namewinner.com , that's a good place to check out some expiring names. I use nameboy from time to time to come up with some ideas, then register it elsewhere.

- - - - - - - - -
    I will FOCUS on my goal, and I shall NOT be denied.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm with Chet on this one.

Particularly if you are doing any type of offline promotion. For that you need a name that people will remember after seeing or hearing it just once.

If a trademark registration is worth the fee of several hundred dollars, then a domain name is as well.

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

I'm with leader on this one.

I was trying to find a name for my pet store and tried all kinds and accidentally ran into PetGoodies.net

$9.95

I like the way it makes my mind think.

SandraR

The reason I posted the question was to see what everyone thought about it - thanks for the responses. I take the same route that Leader does. I am sure there are times when you have to have a very plain name that is four letters in legnth, but for my use it is rare.

It is amazing what's out there and not just usable, but works well too. Having said all that, it still amazes me the number of people that don't put much thought into names for domains. One of the first things you need to do is put yourself in the other fellow's shoes. I try to guide my marketing decisions that way (with some sound and accepted principles of course). JMHO!

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

No. There are plenty of domain companies that you can register one for less. And I believe in brand recognition. Create a name for yourself for your customers to remember by creating the best shopping experience for them. If you do this they will come back and spead your name for you.

Luke
    Bop Til You Drop

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    And to heck with .net,.org, .us - anything not .com is a waste.

Chet<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chet - I was impressed with your comments until this last line. You're suffering from domain tunnel vision. Yes - .com is preferred if you can get it - but I would much rather have a domain like magazines.net (or .org, .biz, .info) compared to cheapmagazines.com .

Larry Wentz

AffiliateNetwork.org newWebsite.com (Try us FREE!)
    </p>

</p>

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    If the domain's good enough, I'd pay way more than $9.95 for it. Some domains come with a free, endless supply of traffic!

The most I've paid for a domain is $15,000.

If someone approaches you to sell you printers.com for $50 and you refuse because you can get other names for $9.95, then give him my email address!

George Orwell got the date wrong

ABW Ambassador
    $50? It's a deal. PM me.

(just kidding)

------------------------------
    Get Rich or Try Dyin' ~ Fy Dolla
    Got a beef? Call the Chief! 1-900-CHIEFBS

There were two big companies fighting over a domain name, the courts ordered the holder of the domain to change their name and they let the domain drop.

A lucky guy I know registered the domain as soon as it dropped for under $50 and now had a domain getting 50-100k unique visitors a day, he made some good money off that traffic then sold the domain on to someone else for a much larger amount.

So.... yes I would spend more than $25 on a good domain

(however I pay $6.95 for my normal domains as an enom reseller

Mark Mitford
    RevShares.com
    Solutions for Affiliate Program Managers

Of course I would pay more than $20 for a domain that is really good. Everybody would.

I have to agree with Matlok, however it depends upon several factors. For example, what kind of site you want, how much the price is (Some domain names are just incredible expencive).

Trond.

http://www.affiliateguiding.com

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread