14 22.22%
  • Not sure

4 6.35%
  • A lot

20 31.75%
  • Completely

6 9.52%
    ABW Ambassador
    How much do you trust this "trusted third party"?
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    It's a good company with a lot of great merchants. Yeah, I have tagged them a couple times when I felt they were not tough enough on parasites, and I have some top performers elsewhere where I earn more, but I've had a check every month from them for at least 24 months or so now.

By the way, CJ, thanks for the checks, lol.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Looks like CJ has some major credibility problems when so far no one trusts them completely and half the voters have some big time doubts.

But really, why would you trust a network that actively promotes parasites to merchants?

If they are directly working against your interest in one area, they sure aren't working for you in other areas.

I trust CJ completely to do whatever gets the most money for CJ any way they can. Ethics be damned. So, I guess they question needs rephrasing. Do you trust CJ to do what?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    One thing, I think it would be pretty hard in this business to trust one entity completely. I mean, you aren't just dealing with a network, you are also dealing with the merchant, and how well both of them implement upgrades, then there are parasites that sneek in under different names in spite of being kicked out, TOS that may or may not screw up test purchases, etc.
    All of it plays into your overall comfort level with a specific network.

If you asked, are you more ocmfortable with Shareasale than CJ, I would probably say yes - but then, I recall SAS went down briefly once or twice in the last year, plus we gotta make sure Brian doesn't gets pasted by a hockey puck, cause I'm not all that sure SAS could survive a sudden tragedy like that, whereas CJ could.

It's all relative, but trust is a huge issue in this field, and it's not given lightly to anyone.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Celicaphile,

I think your question is too nebulous, you really should quantify as there are certain things I trust CJ "A lot" and others not at all.

Also your specific phrasing of the question with the use of this seams to imply another question relating to the entire "third party" set up.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Haiko makes an excellent point.

I do trust CJ to send me a check every month (as they have for a long time), I trust them to provide good merchants and technology behind them.

But there is no doubt in my mind that they know about the parasites they work with and turn a blind eye at best and help them out at worst. No I don't trust them this way at all. And that makes me always a little hesitant to use new merchants from them or use current ones more.

ABW Ambassador
    The question can be taken however you want to take it... If you trust one aspect about the company, but not much else, then wouldn't you agree that you trust them a little? Whereas, if you agree with many of their business practices, but not one or two, then it's probably safe to say that you trust them a lot.
    There have been so many posts about lack of trust for this company that I thought it would be nice for everyone to show how they feel w/out having to post about it openly. I hope that we get a more honest representation of the general feel of ABW's members, and the affiliate community, w/ some anonymous voting. As it stands now, over half of the votes are negative, which I hope would open their eyes...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

You know this is a very interesting poll, and one which I find rather difficult to vote on. On the one hand I like CJ better than any of the others but, just lately, I'm starting to have my doubts where tracking of sales is concerned. I don't know about anyone else here, but I have seen my sales drop to an all time low despite the fact that clickthroughs show something entirely different. I know people tend to blame this on parasites and Google rankings, but I use AdWords and never had a problem before CJ started having all these system outages. Since then it's been downhill all the way - sometimes I just feel like throwing in the towel! I would also say that I trust CJ when it comes to payments but quite honestly that's about all the trust I have right now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grumpy:
    I would also say that I trust CJ when it comes to payments... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I trust them implicitly to send all payments due according to those sales that are recorded for my account.

Haiko makes a good point. In one way, I am trusting of CJ. In others, not at all. I do trust CJ to send me a check every month, pretty much on time, and I know that the check will clear the bank.

However, I do not trust them to treat me fairly when it comes to the commissions I earn, because I know they are allowing publishers in the network that have the ability to overwrite my CJ cookies. This puts me in an position where I am forced to compete unfairly in the marketplace.

I know that CJ promotes these publishers to advertisers, which I do not appreciate and this practice makes me feel like I'm being discriminated against.

CJ has a long way to go to earn back the trust it enjoyed at one time.

I think it's shameful that they allow this unethical behavior to run rampant in their network.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    All networks pretty much are the same. The major ones all have "parasites" and they all promote the big affiliates to merchants whether they are "parasites" or clean. And my personal opinion Performics is the most parasite happy of them all.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I trust CJ A Lot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> so far no one trusts them completely~SSanf <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think trusting ANY company, in any industry, "completely" is foolhardy. Sheet can happen no matter what the official policy is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I trust CJ completely to do whatever gets the most money for CJ ~SSanf <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, but my opinion of that fact is opposite of yours. I think a corporation has a responsibility to do just that in 99.99% of cases. It's their responsibility to not whiff away their investors' money playing "social justice."

I am in this to make money, and I want my network to want to make money as well. Networks who don't have "the drive" are not the ones for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Do you trust CJ to do what? ~Ssanf
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I trust them to pay--and on time! I've run across enough deadbeats to remember that, that IS a big deal!

I trust them to act like a Corporation on general matters.

I trust them when they say they are trying to get a merchant's tracking integrated or fix other technical problems of that nature. BUT, I also trust that this will take place at Bureaucratic Speed, which means that it'll eventually happen but it won't be at any great haste.

I also trust them to not interfere with legal means of promotion, and not screw certain affiliates just because a few people tell them to. This is important--and GOOD! Remember that anything which causes YOU to have a massive competitive advantage will also be reviled by those you're beating as "unethical," "lowdown," and "rotten" even if you yourself think it's perfectly ethical.

Just because the parasites are doing well *now*, doesn't mean that the NEXT controversial item won't be an idea of YOURS! Do you really want a network or merchant that will look askance at anything that goes beyond sticking links on a page??

I remember when most merchants/networks wanted (informational/entertainment) "content" sites. CJ didn't care about having old-style informational content. They allowed malls! Content people HATED that and still do--especially when they got drowned in the SERPs! Aren't you glad now, that CJ's opinion was "OH WELL, TOO BAD!" Because of that, other networks followed and now we can make pages that actually have a chance of selling something!

"But we regular affiliates are not parasites!" people may protest. True, but try telling a content-is-kingite that affiliate sites are not spam, and the massive difference of opinion will be readily apparent. What's cool to us is bogus to others, and it's the same with us and parasiteware.

It's not fair to expect the network to approve everything you and I do, but not approve of other people's controversial stuff as well.

Better to drive on the Autobahn with no speed limit, than to be stuck going 25 MPH myself in the name of "safety."
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I so far am only one of the three that trust them completely. For me the issue isn't cj instead it's the merchants I may have issues with. Why would CJ spite themselves by say not reporting sales or screwing me over to the point I'd leave? Why would they break laws in order to make a few extra bucks? I don't think they would. I guess you could say big companies can do bad things like enron but I think they are few and far between.

Leader, I was excessively influenced by "Atlas Shrugged" until I read "Grapes of Wrath". Now, I am in the middle.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

After so many years I trust them, it's just some of the merchants I don't trust.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Leader said:
    True, but try telling a content-is-kingite that affiliate sites are not spam, and the massive difference of opinion will be readily apparent. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the record, I do not think that affiliate sites are spam and my affinity for content is well-documented.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Leader, I was excessively influenced by "Atlas Shrugged" until I read "Grapes of Wrath". Now, I am in the middle. Ssanf <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When it comes to business, reading the Wall Street Journal through the years and seeing what works and what doesn't is my biggest influence. (I also tend to agree with their editorial department, but that dept. seems to discuss politics most of the time...)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> For the record, I do not think that affiliate sites are spam and my affinity for content is well-documented. ~Karl <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GOOD! At least there's *somebody* in content-land that has some sense!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

One name defines my CJ trust situation...KBToys. They owe me alot of money, and CJ allowed it to happen, and has yet to take responsibility.

Gee, all these posts critical of CJ today and I'm too busy working on sites to add to them all. LOL

Except for a few independents I deal with, CJ is still at the top of my list as far as trust. I don't trust them 100% as I still feel they don't track 100% of my sales.

I agree with SSanf that CJ has some major credibility problems. Two big ones for me. One, they don't seem to have the right equipment, software or programers to keep their system running smoothly. That's a big credibility problem. Second, parasites can can be warned, become compliant, then be noncompliant, warned again and the cycle can go on forever without final action. That bothers me that CJ is not more firm about this issue. Their CODE OF CONDUCT needs to be more of the RULES OF THE ROAD, not TRICKS OF THE TRADE as many merchants have done with it.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I am always amazed at the number of people who "trust and/or defend CJ".

My bet is that these are simply people who get that check in the mail every month. And, somehow that is enough. Just the simple fact that a check shows up. That's all it takes for everything to be okay.

However, IF those same people had Access to the data that showed the "actual dollar amount" that they have LOST (and continue to LOOSE) due to CJ's partnership with parasites, they would be sick. They would be sick because of the lost income AND they would be sick to think that they had repeatedly defended a company who helped make these losses/theft possible.

There are some that will say "The money that is lost to parasites is just water under the bridge and I'm happy to take whatever $$ CJ sends me". Those folks just view this as a cost of doing business. But, there is a difference between costs of doing business and theft.

Then, there are those who decide to act on principal. There are some people who simply decide that it is Not accdeptable to do business whith "partners" who actively cheat you. Yes, those affiliates will Loose money in the short term. But, they make the decision based on principal.

People can argue which course of action is smarter or better. But, it is ultimately a descision that we all must make.

IF we all had "hard core numbers" of exactlly how much of "our money" is being stolen by parasites (with the AID of their partners), I suspect there would be much less tolerance towards those who partner with and promote parasites.

I think I trust CJ for the most part. However, I don't trust some of the CJ merchants. Also, I do feel that CJ is "slacking" in several areas, which does damage their credibility a bit.

ATKOgirl

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread