View Poll Results: Do you use datafeeds?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 53.95%
  • No

35 46.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This is what I want to learn to use this year. I'm still studying but am still far off from understanding to create the script. I am just hoping that Cusimano can roll out its CJ script soon.

I use nothing but now. There is no way to to but the datafeed way.

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Art.com, Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com, TigerDirect and many more.....

Yes, I use datafeeds; I love them!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Datafeeds are the No-W*rker's best friend!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Don't Use them yet, but planning to use them soon.

What tools and stuff do I need to learn in order to start using datafeeds. The basics?

I read somewhere that you need to learn first PHP and MySQL?

ABW Ambassador
    You are correct about learning a server-side language, but it doesn't have to be PHP and MySQL.

I use ASP and Amazon's XML feed. The site is glued together with an Access database for content.

I too use ASP and MS Access for some sites. Access is good to cut your teeth on, but as your sites draw more and more traffic it's best to look at something a bit more robust. For me that is SQL Server 2000, although I am now playing with MySQL a bit as well.

Game on!!!!

What's the best way to get started with datafeeds, I know absolute zero about them

not yet. but i do NEED to learn and implement this datafeeds thinggy. gotta have em!. gotta love em!

ABW Ambassador
    I use ASP and SQL Server 2000. I can crunch 200MB files from CJ without blinking.

SQL Server:

Down side:
    Hosting services are more expensive
    SQL Servers at some hosts are overloaded and slow
    *Expensive* for a license at home

Up Side:
    I can push updates around with a single click
    Easy to manage, edit, design
    DTS Services (Data transfermation services) make importing and pushing around data a breeze - no programming necessary.
    Stored Procedures

I only use data feeds now, but I normaly recategorize many products so that my site is not exactly like everyone elses.

chrisk

Part of our affiliate marketing expansion plan ... coming soon to the phillyBurbs!

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

15 years and counting
    I use them. I use also the scripts I found on the market. I use datafeed in a lot of different ways but my best performing websites are not database driven.
    Datafeed can save a lot of work but they are not made, yet, to push you to the top of SE.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

anyone have over 1 million pages?

It's not the size of your site it's how you use it.

you're right, i just like the sound of 1 million pages, might try it

Three of my websites are over a million pages.

and are you rich yet?

ABW Ambassador
    A million pages wont do you any good if you cant create a usable navigation system.

I use data feeds to update inventory lists and pricing - not to generate a million static pages. How the heck would you upload a million pages on a regular basis? Your site prices and inventory would quickly be out of date.

For me, A site with 1000 products would probably have about 30-50 nested category pages.. the rest is dynamic.

it's technically possible of course, just not sure if it would pay it's way.
    if google ever gets back into its regular crawl and index cycle i might give it a try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How the heck would you upload a million pages on a regular basis? Your site prices and inventory would quickly be out of date.~Chrisk
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have a million pages (YET), but here's my 2c for my 100,000+ page site and smaller ones anyway:

I don't know about Heyder, but my rule is if the person wants to know the price, they have to go to the merchant's site! That serves two purposes: It knocks out over 9/10ths of the need to update anything (price seems to be the item most likely to change), and it gives the viewer another reason to click the pay link! I only mention a price in one section--a section that brags about the GREAT SALE going on. Other sections, the viewers have to click that link if they want to know what the thing costs.

As for in-stock status, you get to know which merchants' feeds need babysitting and which ones you can leave alone for months. If a place sells the same thing all the time, for instance, there isn't any need for updates! It can be surprising to find which merchants are on the extreme ends. There are some that I wish would update less, and some that should update 3x more than they do! The latter are actually the most aggravating since I can see that their feed is full of OOS junk...but THEY'RE the ones who haven't updated in 6 months so I'm stuck with it. (I just had one of these update for June--their last update before that was December!)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A million pages wont do you any good if you cant create a usable navigation system.~Chrisk <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fortunately, SEs don't usually aim people at the front page!

~Revenue is King

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Hi guys,

Thought I'd jump in with a strong vote for datafeeds. My datafeed affiliates are making a lot more commissions by sending people directly to product links. Here's an article I published elsewhere on the forum in case you missed it.

According to a recent Press Release from IdeaLabs, Commission Junction's product catalog (datafeed) has helped to double conversion rates on the average. http://www.idealab.com/frame.tp?htt.../press_7327.jsp

We started offering the Irvs Luggage private free data outside of CJ in April to make it easier for our publishers. May was our best month this year and this month is even better as more publishers are building sites with the feed. Almost every one of our top publishers this month are using the feed & making increased commissions because of it.

I used the above article to convince zZounds to offer a datafeed too. It should be out today. Anxious to see what kind of impact it can make for their affiliates too.

Linda Buquet ~ Affiliate Management Consultant ~ Catalyst eMarketing.com
    Representing 5 Star Affiliate Programs: DentalPlans|zZounds|Irv's Luggage|Roadloans

Something's wrong with the link to the article. It went to a "page not found" page. It seems to be missing some info in the middle...

~Revenue is King

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Ooooppppps Thanks Leader, should have checked the link. Did not know it got truncated somehow.

Here you go:
    http://www.idealab.com/frame.tp?http...press_7327.jsp

Linda Buquet ~ Affiliate Management Consultant ~ Catalyst eMarketing.com
    Representing 5 Star Affiliate Programs: DentalPlans|zZounds|Irv's Luggage|Roadloans

Data Feed The only way to go!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast