View Poll Results: What Mall Type Do You Prefer Best and Why?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Text / Database Search Mall site

1 8.33%
  • Database Feed Mall site w/ small pictures

3 25.00%
  • Template type with search text only.

1 8.33%
  • Mall Site with lots of graphics and pictures

3 25.00%
  • Mall site with both single products and store listings

4 33.33%
    Mall owners and visitors,

What do you prefer to create, visit or use? A mall site with text only descriptions or a mall site with lots of graphics, etc. What are your perceptions on both?
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    None of that.

As a buyer, I like a mall site with SOME (not really "lots" of) graphics, and with good informative descriptions which also have a fair percentage of sales value. Don't bore me with dull specs-only descriptions or make me squint with tiny pictures!

Why?? Hmmm... Too many graphics makes it look like a banner farm if not done right. Informative descriptions help me decide just which model/type/variety to buy. Forget specs-only descriptions, though, that's dull and makes me think the writer was too lazy to try to SELL the thing and therefore he must not really want my business too much! And sites that just list a bunch of items all on the same page are dull and unappealing. They remind me of tire shops because, like tire shops, they show a bunch of things that look almost exactly the same and don't give enough info to know the real difference--or if there even *is* a real difference!

When *making* a site, I enjoy ones that are like the ones I want to shop at. But I defer to the Mighty Conversion Ratio when making sites. Beauty is in the eye of the Commission Check!

I like to use REALLY BIG pictures, because--in cases where the image is a selling point--the bigger the picture the bigger the CR. Pictures aren't always a selling point, though. Not too many people would be enamoured by a pic of a radiator hose, for instance. And I have some sites that do fine with no pictures at all except for the merchant's banner.

As for text, I've found that if it's too brief it doesn't answer enough of the viewer's questions to convince them to buy (not ALL of their questions should be answered though!). But if it's too long, they'll get bored and go away. The trick is to find the length that gets the important points across yet doesn't wear the viewers out.

Most of the sites I make are feed sites because the CR difference between a feed site and a manually-made one doesn't justify the extra effort of manual production. There's simply more money in punching out 100,000 Chevys than there is in crafting 1 Rolls.

For the feed sites I'm stuck with the (often cringingly lame) merchant-provided descriptions, although I don't enjoy those descriptions! I still like my old pitches from before I used feeds. But it took between 1/2 - 1 1/2 hours PER PAGE the old way!! Sheesh, a person could literally type out pages for an entire lifetime manually, and never even finish a site the size of a decent data-fed site that can be made in 2 hours.

BTW yes my pages are usually a lot shorter than my posts are. But then again, I'm not trying to sell stuff here or entice ABW people to click things.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'm very visually oriented, so if a site doesn't have pictures it's a waste of my time. It also has to be well organized and easy to read.

When I go shopping online I do it at CJ, LS, SAS or one of the other networks. If necessary I join a merchant program so I get a commish on my purchases. If I really like the merchant I'll promote them on my sites.

I don't think affiliates shop the way 'regular' folks do, so perhaps we're not a good group to answer this question. We're far more knowledgeable and resourceful. Right, guys?

To anyone who just read Leader's post, you just got a pearl of wisdom. Great post.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

For my own personal shopping:
    When I am shopping I need an organized site. Please don't give me a llllooooonnnngggg list of items for sale. I need to have them organized into categories.

The reason is that most of the time I am not shopping for something specific. I am shopping for something in general and I need to see what my choices are. Too much information on one page will overwhelm me and I will leave. I need pictures but a quick load time. I tend to be impatient if a site loads too slowly.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

After wasting a lot of time, in the begining with large banners, that took to long to open, and had one or 2 day specials, that had to be removed, we switched to a few small logos, that catches browsers interest, a lot of text, and some soft music, the music tends to keep people on the site longer. This resulted in a big increase in sles, and repeat sales.everyone is different, some like to hang out in malls, or stores,but we thought about what kind of people shop online, seniors, teens,the both parents work, those without the time to
    fight the hassles of the highways,parking lots,long lines, bad weather, they are the ones we aim for.The new page maker has been a great program, we can place a lot on one click, and that opens up the choices,, even more. Our nickles worth.
    jj

ABW Ambassador
    Make a mall that saves people money. You save people money they will love you and your site and come back and tell all their friends about it. These types of shopping sites are also more likely to get free press. Especially around the holidays. You're more likely to see a story on a Fatwallet that saves people money than a story "Look at this Shoes.com datafeed site. They reorganized their catalog for you and have a nice logo. You make a site just for the SE's and you drop or get dropped, you just got f'kd.

Another Silly question Where can I find this new "page maker" at. Seen many a post about it, but no link on where to find it.

ABW Ambassador
    I think the "new page maker" is talking about the new tool available when you login at
    http://www.shareasale.com

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread