• No, without hyphens just one long word

6 20.69%
  • Do 250 with and 250 without

10 34.48%
  • Buy 500 with and next month 500 without

3 10.34%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    I'm getting ready to buy at least 500 domains with certain keywords. All of these domains or sites will have at least 5 pages and lots on contents and perhaps 2 or 3 banners within each page. No redirects or tricks just actual mini-sites.

Question is: Should I buy all of them with no "hyphens" or with "hyphens" separating each keyword?

Example: cornforsaleanywhere.com or corn-for-sale-anywhere.com

I know some say for SE does not matter and some say good for SE.

What ever the majority VOTE will help me decide.

Thanks in advance.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I vote for laying out the cash for 1000 domains knowing you can fill them with meaningful content, pre-sell spin and product showcase links within the first 2 months.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'd say buy 250 each way and then when you see which works best, buy 500 more of that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> All of these domains or sites will have at least 5 pages and lots on contents and perhaps 2 or 3 banners within each page.~Jrami <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I vote for laying out the cash for 1000 domains knowing you can fill them with meaningful content, pre-sell spin and product showcase links within the first 2 months. ~Ecom <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alright you guys, how on Earth do you expect to be able to fill that many domains with anything quality in such a short time?! I'd think it'd take longer than that even if you were transcribing the text right out of a book.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I say bets are on that you'll be listing 950 domains for sale within 6 months.

ABW Ambassador
    Damn, 500. I only have 4.

I say get-your-domains-like-this.com since it looks like you're only looking to make these 500 mini-sites SE friendly and not really looking for any type of branding or bookmarkability.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrami:
    I know some say for SE does not matter and some say good for SE.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe that SEs slice non-hyphenated URLs repeatedly to try and work out if there are keywords lurking in there.

What would an SE make more sense of:

1) world-of-art.com
    2) worldofart.com

(both exist BTW

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Google take on your domain keyword spam sites will hopefully parallel what they think of worldofart.com=nicePR
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    I voted with Leader...try half and half and see which works best for you.

I used to think the Google didn't parse without the dash, but that is no longer true. One of my domains is keyword-keyword.net, with both keywords being plural. Search for the singular version of the keyword and Google highlights the singular portion of the keyword in the domain name.

Whether it likes the dash or no dash more is still a matter of argument with no definitive answer yet.

I hope you'll be buying them with a LOW priced account somewhere.

Good luck,

World "o" Fart

How come fart jokes aren't so funny when my husband tells them?

Val
    "still way too lame at this"
    Valerie
    <a target="_blank" style="color: #22229C" href="http://www.thexsiteproexperiment.html">
    XSitePro - it has never been easier to create and manage money making sites</a>

Thank you folks for quick replies.

So far its:

4 votes or (57%) with = Do 250 with and 250 without

EcomCity
    &gt; I vote for laying out the cash for 1000 domains

Wait, hold on... 1000 but after this first 500 I'm going to need a loan....

Leader
    &gt; I'd say buy 250 each way and then when you see which works best

I was thinking of this 250/250 also just to make them a little different and then see result after 6 months weather SE really care or not.

Heyder
    &gt; I say bets are on that you'll be listing 950 domains for sale within 6 months.

I might be, you never really know. Hopefully not. But the way these will be structured they WILL generate income, just can't reveal how yet.

TrustNo1
    &gt; I say get-your-domains-like-this.com since it looks like you're only looking to make these 500 mini-sites SE friendly and not really looking for any type of branding or bookmarkability.

Well, sort of true, not really targeting "bookmarkability" but kind of will get a little branding.

CrazyGuy
    &gt; I don't believe that SEs slice non-hyphenated URLs repeatedly to try and work out if there are keywords lurking in there....(both exist BTW

That's true they both exist and the more individual names out there even if within the same keyword like
    1) world-of-art.com
    2) worldofart.com
    There are more possibilities to be found on SE by consumers and businesses.

wyvern
    &gt;I hope you'll be buying them with a LOW priced account somewhere

Yes, definitely do have one, are you kidding, doing the math alone is crazy enough. The discount is not that much per domain but with so many the savings seams bigger. I think registars like godaddy, network solutions, twocows, etc. are going bring down pricing eventually because of so much competition within each other, which is good for us. Perhaps by next year they will be at 4.95 each .com

On some recent Google searches I noticed the keyword(s) were highlighted within the URL (no dashes). But, I don't know how Google can tell the difference between "art" and "fart". My bet is that both keywords will be found, depends on if you searched for "art" or searched for "fart".

If this is true, then if you used the keyword "farts", then Google would find "far", "fart", "farts","art" and "arts".
    ~Ernie

Well put - Ernie, that was really my point.

I have no doubt that if you searched for art, and the rest of the page was about art and Google rated it for art, then art would be highlighted within worldofart.

... but I don't believe the existence of the 3 letters "art" within "worldofart" contributes to the page ranking for the keyword art.

In a way, I hope it doesn't, or we all have to start looking at the substrings within urls in case they are working against us. Going cheap - fartrips.com.

Did I hear someone say "analbumcover.com"?

ABW Ambassador
    I suggest you buy 50 domains first, fill them up and find out what works before you buy the rest.

jrami... why, why, why would you do this to your self....????

the best thing you can do is give me the money....

I'll take a few days off ... and we both will feelmuch better.....

JRAMI, YOUr idea is seriously flawed!!

there is no way you can maintain 500 websites... even if they are 1 page.....

I know I have over 100 websites... 90 are niche websites...

I spend 10 to 12 hours everyday working on these sites... this is more then a full time job!

the linking strategies along are enough to make a grown man cry from sheer fustration...
    do you have any idea how many times I wanted to pack a bag and walk away...
    never to be seen again...

what about the issue of spammin the SE's this, alone makes it not worth the risk...

Like i said... I could use $3000 or $4000 for a vacation...

consider this...

this (your) idea has as much merit aS Jason writing a book about his experiences as an affiliate marketing guru....

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

One word of caution buying the ones with hyphens and not buying the one without hyphens. Make sure there is not some other company with the nonhyphyenated name. If it's a trade name you may get some nasty letters from the merchant and not be able to use it.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I voted for: Do 250 with and 250 without.

quote:
    -------------------
    One word of caution buying the ones with hyphens and not buying the one without hyphens. Make sure there is not some other company with the nonhyphyenated name. If it's a trade name you may get some nasty letters from the merchant and not be able to use it.
    -------------------

I was thinking something similar to that.

Let's take one domain as an example:

You want to sell flowers on that site and you just buy the domain ... flower-petal.com

What happens if somebody see that flowerpetal.com is available and decide to buy it on the same date you buy your flower-petal.com?

After 6 months what would an SE list first, flower-petal.com or flowerpetal.com ?
    Who will sell more?
    Who will complain first about the other domain stealing the name idea?

So either do your research first and then buy both names at the same time if they're both available or find another name combination now and avoid the headache later if you only buy one of the two now. {just remember that with the millions of people on the internet, at any given moment, there're many people just looking for a new domain name idea to make money online.}

Just think about the possibilities, the negativity's and the profitability's before you buy just one of the two combination.

Sal.

Ernie
    &gt; If this is true, then if you used the keyword "farts", then Google would find "far", "fart", "farts","art" and "arts".

Well I think any SE cannot really tell the difference in the words but I think they will list them anyway as a separate domain if there is a site pointing to it.

CrazyGuy
    &gt;start looking at the substrings within urls in case they are working against.

I already look at it as if the're working against us. We have to have all angles we can.

womanht
    &gt;I suggest you buy 50 domains first, fill them up and find out what works before you buy the rest.

It's a good suggestion, however these will be sites targeted at both consumers and businesses so they will work eventually.

my2cents
    &gt; there is no way you can maintain 500 websites... even if they are 1 page

&gt; what about the issue of spammin the SE's this, alone makes it not worth the risk... Like i said... I could use $3000 or $4000 for a vacation...

That is very true. These will not be maintained by myself only. I will have help in the form of certain webmasters that will be doing FTP and simple html design etc.

I hope I don't spam the SE not my intention. $3-4000.00 why did you remind me.

7-days
    &gt;If it's a trade name you may get some nasty letters from the merchant and not be able to use it

True. I would have to buy all variations though like .com .net .us .biz .uk, etc. If I get somebody that owns a right to a name down the road it will be no problem, by then it will have served it's purpose.

Mr.Sal
    &gt;What happens if somebody see that flowerpetal.com is available and decide to buy it on the same date you buy your flower-petal.com?

After 6 months what would an SE list first, flower-petal.com or flowerpetal.com ?
    Who will sell more?
    Who will complain first about the other domain stealing the name idea?

You are right. After 6 months the SE probably will list both names. Also no one can claim stealing the name or ideas unless you have a trademark and registered name.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    &gt;But the way these will be structured they
    &gt;WILL generate income, just can't reveal how
    &gt;yet.

So the point of this thread is WHAT exactly?

&gt;JRAMI, YOUr idea is seriously flawed!! there
    &gt;is no way you can maintain 500 websites...
    &gt;even if they are 1 page.....

Maybe JRAMI is going to use computers for what they were good for - automation of trivial repetitive tasks.

I'm with valerie5794
    &lt;World "o" Fart&gt;

Can't beleive it's just the two of us who are:

I hope you're around when I try some of my own crap jokes

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drewbert:
    &gt;But the way these will be structured they
    &gt;WILL generate income, just can't reveal how
    &gt;yet.

So the point of this thread is WHAT exactly?

&gt;JRAMI, YOUr idea is seriously flawed!! there
    &gt;is no way you can maintain 500 websites...
    &gt;even if they are 1 page.....

Maybe JRAMI is going to use computers for what they were good for - automation of trivial repetitive tasks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Drewbert
    The point of this thread was to get an opinion of which was the best possible way to buy domain names and did it matter if it had hyphens or not.

Question? Would you like one of these domain names free for yourself without having to pay for hosting or anything. PM me if you want to for more details. I do not want anyone to accuse me of spamming in here perhaps why I said "can't reveal how yet"

ABW Ambassador
    I just bought a handful of domain names without hyphens & am thinking of buying their evil twins with hyphens. Not really sure how a valid test could be set up measuring "Google-preference" without getting one of both hit for duplicate content.

Wayne

Ok, since some of you kept wondering about the 500 domains, here it is. BTW thanks to those that voted and registered.

Read more info here:

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...11&m=956103193

My husband does all our programming and I do the admin.

One thing I have to remind him over and over and over is that most of our visitors to our sites don't know how to type that well and aren't regular every day computer users.

Having to search for a - all the time just drove our daughter crazy when she was starting out on the keyboard.

You do have to remember though, are you going to advertise mostly offline on paper, in ads etc.? Or are you mainly relying on search engines?

If you are a search engine kind of person, then - might be ok being that the person won't have to type you in, they can just bookmark (if you put that on your site) so they can come back to you.

If you advertise locally, they have to type it in every time.

I would suggest, to be safe, long run on type urls, just make sure they are phrases that people can remember and not something they might have trouble with.

Spend your money on names that already have traffic pertaining to your site/s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast