Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Alright I have a little question. In your opinion, which site would have a better chance for selling things. A site with a white background, or a site with a black background? I can't see any option for a poll so if you could just reply with your choice. Thank you.

I think the popular census says

WHITE

If your selling the same stuf as me you need a black background with pink and flourescent dots all over the page, add to this mixture some brilliant red, yellow and blue text (bolded and flashing) now you are ready to outsell me.
    Good luck
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ROFL

According to some people here, they might just do better than you!

Couldn't resist...

Catwoman

White - Black is so '90's.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:
    If your selling the same stuf as me you need a black background with pink and flourescent dots all over the page, add to this mixture some brilliant red, yellow and blue text (bolded and flashing) now you are ready to outsell me.
    Good luck <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup, put up some collectibles sites that look like that ok? Pet care products too... You'll be a millionaire....

(There is a difference between ugly and CAN'T STAY LONG ENOUGH TO CLICK!!!!)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

OUCH!!! is it gang up on Gordon week?
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

http and a telephoto
    Easy target? LOL, come on, you walked into that one with eyes wide open
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

White for my Auto site, but it'll be black for my new Aprilia RSV Factory site.... www.RSVfactory.com when it's up and running.

Malc
    Adverts

An easy answer to this question is: Have you ever read a newspaper, book or many magazines on black paper? You might have read a little but the majority is on light colored paper and there must be good reason for it.

Black is only good for increasing the contrast (and impact) of images. If you want someone to read something, not only should you have a white background, but a properly sized and easy to read font.

All bets are off if your site is mostly about images and art. In that case you might even want to use Fläsh

That was too serious, wasn't it?

Fred

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catwoman:
    ROFL

According to some people here, they might just do better than you!

Couldn't resist...

Catwoman <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I didn't say to beat the site TO DEATH with the Ugly Stick!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>A site with a white background, or a site with a black background?~Wallboy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

White. For some reason, people like their eyes to water from too-bright screens. (Seriously, white. People are used to looking at it from newspapers and books.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Have you ever read a newspaper, book or many magazines on black paper? You might have read a little but the majority is on light colored paper and there must be good reason for it.~Heyder <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's easier to read--on PAPER.

But paper doesn't produce its own light, unlike a monitor screen. I've found looking at some white sites to be as hard on the eyes as trying to read the wattage stamp on a lit light bulb.

Unfortunately, people overwhelmingly buy more from white-backgrounded sites, so I'm stuck with it except for my personal site. (Puts on shades)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

You don't have to use white. Just use a lighter color. That way it won't burn the eyes.

Apparently white text on a black background is easier to read - if the text is printed and not self-lit like a monitor.

I thought books and newspapers were white as bleach is cheaper than ink and less messy when on the page.

Personally I use a white background, but navy text to tone down the contrast a little.

ABW Ambassador
    A very light purple or blue works well for me.

We went with white,Tried,black,green,red,and orange.
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> a black background with pink and flourescent dots all over the page, add to this mixture some brilliant red, yellow and blue text (bolded and flashing) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you just described my top performing site

-- Going to check out how many new black background with pink and flourescent dots all over the page, add to this mixture some brilliant red, yellow and blue text (bolded and flashing) competitive sites are going appear in the next few days

It depends on what it being sold, but for most sales sites white (or a very pale coloured background) is best, unless you're pitching at a high-fashion market where white text on a dark background would go better.

Compare Gucci with Amazon and you'll probably get the idea.

Of course, pale text on a black backround could so easily end up looking like CreepyGuy.com.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Definitely white. The complaints you would get from anyone wanting to print any part of your black background site won't be pretty. Why would you do anything, like make it harder to read, to slow down any action you want those visitors to take?

Our target consumer is 15-21/22-29 males. From a brand perspective the site must include a look of heavy black. Mind you not all black, just lots.

http://www.nakedzombie.com

Plus Johnny Cash didn't do so bad with black.

I vote for white. Or maybe an ivory or sea stone blend? Oh wait, we're not picking out pool tile.

--------------
    Randy Carey, Affiliate Manager
    http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...erchantID=5302
    http://shop.norcrossmarine.com
    16% | non-expiring cookies | datafeeds | anti-parasite

Honestly?

Before starting to work online, I hated and I mean "hated" dark color backgrounds.

I wouldn't go past the 1st page and I wouldn't even read those just because it is horrible on the eyes having to look at it.

And when you think about it, you want a customer to be there for quite a while looking over your site, with dark backgrounds, it is horrible for the vision which is why I just won't go to those sites unless I absolutely had to.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by :: nakedzombie:
    Our target consumer is 15-21/22-29 males. From a brand perspective the site must include a look of heavy black. Mind you not all black, just lots.

http://www.nakedzombie.com

Plus Johnny Cash didn't do so bad with black. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice site.

I like black too. That's what I've used on my tour for years (psychicweb.com).

Jonny knew a thing or two.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I vote for purple.</span>

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>An easy answer to this question is: Have you ever read a newspaper, book or many magazines on black paper? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dang, I thought it was because paper is a reflective medium. Paper works by light bouncing from the page and going to the reader. It is easier to block light with ink than it is to create new reflective surface. The only way to write white on black involves expensive opaque pigments.

The fact that the computer screen is a projected medium makes it a different game.

When you think of it, a bright white page is a great deal of energy projected at the user.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast