View Poll Results: Merchant member titles

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it as "Elite Member"

0 0%
  • Call them "Merchant"

15 62.50%
  • Call them something else (reply to post with suggestion)

9 37.50%
    All,

With the way some merchants have been acting lately, I've decided to "rethink" their member title and ask you how you want the verified merchant members identified on the boards. Currently they are identified as "Elite Members" should we keep it like that or should we use some other title?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

LOL call them 'Advertisers' lik CJ and confuse the hell out of everyone...

'Merchant' is probably the best, IMO (with a differentiator for trusted merchants, like 'Trusted Merchant'....)

It's good to see you active again, Haiko, the forum was beginning to seem like a headless monster

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I voted something else because it might be helfpul to make the distinction between they are truly the Merchant and then all those consulting AM's we have now who aren't truly the Merchants themselves. JMO.

I was thinking of using 3 status's

"A Merchant" for a regular merchant or one that we do not know much about

"Trusted Merchant" for a proven good merchant that is honest and parasite free and your present criteria

"B Merchant" for merchants that are known to have parasites or are known to fiddle the books or use cookies that only last for a specific time eg. less than 5 days.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Merchant Representative<sp?>
    Or Merchant Aff Mgr. If they are not the owner.

The ones that don't have a clue Should be "Duh Merchant Rep." lol...

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

I agree with Gordon... with one exception... there should be a separate title for affiliate managers who dont own a controlling share of the company they represent.

I like Nova's name for these folks...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLFH (Ms. B):
    I voted something else because it might be helfpul to make the distinction between they are truly the Merchant and then all those consulting AM's we have now who aren't truly the Merchants themselves. JMO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point, how about:

Merchant (if it's not the AM)
    Affiliate Manager
    Outsourced Manager

and Trusted Merchants have the seal (as is).
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I like these

1. Merchant
    2. Trusted Merchant
    3. Merchant Representative
    4. Affiliate Manager
    5. Caution!

You know who I believe should maintain #5 - trying to be nice and not name names!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Merchant= actual company management fullfilling the orders or a paid employee

Affiliate manager=hired gun to run affiliate program

*Trusted Merchant=one willing to post their actual networkwide monthly conversion ratio and publically defend it.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Merchant (if it's not the AM)
    Affiliate Manager
    Outsourced Manager <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. It would be helpful to know who we're dealing with.

The "elite" term really doesn't fit with the affiliate culture. What a bunch of renegades we are.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:

Good point, how about:

Affiliate Manager
    Outsourced Manager

and Trusted Merchants have the seal (as is). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's my vote.

Though you might add "parasite enabler" so as to not lump the swine in with ethical merchants.

Wayne

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    Affiliate Manager
    Outsourced Manager

and Trusted Merchants have the seal (as is). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This makes sense and lets us know who is what. It is sometimes confusing when someone "new" posts and answer to something and you have no clue who they are, and they turn out later to be a merchant or AM.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Here's my suggestion:

Merchant (doesn't have a dedicated affiliate manager)

Affiliate Manager (manages the program on a day-to-day basis and comes to ABW on a steady basis to interact with the gang)

Affiliate Recruiter (makes random appearances at ABW to publicize one or more programs or offers)

Network Rep. (for the folks representing the various networks)
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

http and a telephoto
    We have merchants that come here even if they have a dedicated AM, so why would they have a different designation?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loxly:
    We have merchants that come here even if they have a dedicated AM, so why would they have a different designation? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of these merchants can and will accept requests as an AM only manages affiliates.

Example: The Fabric store
    I can request bead rope if I see a strong following! Or policy changes if the AM is a jerk!

Haiko,
    These get my vote:

Affiliate Manager
    Outsourced Manager

and Trusted Merchants have the seal (as is).
    Keira

BareNecessities.com

I don't see any reason to differentiate between an outsourced and in-house manager. I think the necessary differentiation is whether or not the manager is active on ABW or not - just as with affiliate members. That's why I suggest Affiliate Manager for those more active and Affiliate Recruiter for those less active.
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Merchant (if it's not the AM)
    Affiliate Manager
    and Trusted Merchants have the seal (as is) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have question about the distinction between these as it pertains to the titles above.

Many of the "Trusted Merchants" don't ever come to the forums or at least on a regular basis. It's the AM that is their representative here on the forums precisely for that reason - most of the bigger merchants don't personally have the time.

I am the merchants eyes, ears and mouth on the forum because most of my managers and merchants don't have time to visit every day. Some of my bigger merchants have never even been here. I copy them on affiliate questions or concerns and tell them what they need to do then reply back when the issue is solved or whatever.

I will use Chris WSO as an example because I think the way he & I work is similar, and he is better known and I don't want to sound like I am just talking about myself and my own interests.

Chris is the one that posts about new tools or creative or new merchants. But he does not manage all of those programs - there is no way he could, he oversees a team and AMs that do much of the detail work, just like in my case. When affiliates have a problem or question he get the problem fixed or gets the answer but he's not the one doing all the work - he is going to one of his team to get things done and then reporting back. He is the leader that makes sure everything works and the primary communication conduit between the affiliates, his team and the merchants.

Ok Now to the issue of the Trusted "Merchant" Seal using Chris and Mondera as an example. Not sure but I don't think the actual "merchant," the owner of Mondera visits that often. I don't know Mondera AT ALL but who is to say they would be a good clean "trusted merchant" if it were not for Chris? It's Chris' leadership and integrity that keeps his programs clean.
    Many of the programs all of us AMs work with may not be clean if it weren't for the AMs that are in the trenches, reading the boards daily, trying to keep up with the latest tricks for clicks and educating the merchants on why certain player need to be kicked out.

I know there are all kinds of different scenarios here but my point I guess is that although I can see the distinction between AM and merchant - I think AMs that have earned the distinction of "trusted merchant" should maybe be called trusted AM. Sticking to the Chris/Mondera example. The Mondera "trusted merchant" may never show up on the board, but Chris should still be recognized as a "trusted" representative for that firm.

Does that make sense?

Haiko,

Here's my recommendation:

Network Rep posting on behalf of a network
    Merchant Rep outsourced merchant affiliate program management
    (Merchant name) AM in-house affiliate manager
    Affiliate Recruiter pops in to recruit affiliates
    Software App Rep (self explanatory)

The Trusted Merchant seal appears as it does now, unless that person also represents programs that don't meet the required standards, then no seal. A grace period should be allowed for those who might get new merchants that need to be cleaned up first. (For instance, if Linda/Five Star were to get a new merchant that needed overhauling, she would have time to make the necessary improvements without losing her Trusted Merchant status.)

That way, we'd all know exactly who/what we're dealing with!

Andy

A merchant is by no means "elite" just because they are a merchant (or AM for that matter)

I think they should be identified as what they are - merchant or AM
    Ebudae

I don't think it really matters what anyones titles are. If you wanted you could make a distinction between a paid member merchant and not.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread