View Poll Results: Getting along with the parasites

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, OK by me as long as I get paid.

6 20.69%
  • No, the parasites should get their own customers

23 79.31%
    Would you, as an affiliate, be OK with the parasites if merchants paid a commission to you as well as the parasite? In other words, instead of being cut out of the deal when a software app pops up, you'd still get your commission anyway, the merchant would just pay out to both affiliate and parasite.

I'm asking this question, because I feel that just because a merchant allows a parasitic app in their program, that does not relieve them of their obligation, under contract, to pay the affiliate site where the initial click to buy began. (And I'm only talking about the last site that set the cookie by a physical end user click before the parasite popped up and set their own cookie.)

If merchants agree to pay out for SE, newsletter, and type in traffic, why shouldn't they also pay for traffic that initially clicked on another affiliate's site?

Andy

Parasites don't have customers, they have victims. They steal commissions from the merchant's traffic as well as affiliates traffic.

Ray

Nobody wants popup ads. Haven't you noticed all the popup blockers? Doesn't a merchant just brand himself as scum for advertising this way? Nevermind commision stealing.

I would never be ok with a parasite stealing anything from anybody. This includes visitors with their popups as well as comissions with their diverting and overwriting tactics.

If they want to earn comissions very well I say let them, but for christs sake make them get their own visitors by using their own sites and stop stealing ours.

As far as I am concerned the only good parasite is a dead one and the fact that a lot of this dark side of the human race is populated with lawyers really gets up my nose, they should be put to death slowly and painfully.

You asked for my opinion you got it. If this offends please get a mod to remove it.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    No. The parasites would find a way to then get both commissions!

Copyright violation and theft can never be justified!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If they want to earn comissions very well I say let them, but for christs sake make them get their own visitors by using their own sites and stop stealing ours.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

EXACTLY.. Don't merchants realize that is the best way to make a sale? Shoving stuff in peoples faces who aren't interested only makes people mad. Sure they will remember your brand name, but they won't buy from you!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    From a consumer's standpoint, I agree with Jane that sticking people with parasiteware, or advertising through it = bad branding. I just got done listening to quite a lot of cussing from my mother, who got slapped with SEVEN different paras in one shot, after making one ill-aimed click. Took over an hour to delouse the machine, and I'm sure it would take ages longer for someone not clued-in as to what to look for.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In other words, instead of being cut out of the deal when a software app pops up, you'd still get your commission anyway, the merchant would just pay out to both affiliate and parasite. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But from an affiliate's standpoint? That scenario is perfectly fine with me. What the merchant does with his part of the sale price is up to him, as long as I get my full commission.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    The parasites popping up all over the place, making potential customers mad at the merchant, whose ads get thrown in their face.

That makes it harder for the rest of us to get these customers to buy from these merchants, especially when the customer associates that merchant with the bad experiences.

In biological terms affiliate parasites are "obligate parasites" in that they have no option but to be parasites. If they're not parasites, they're food for the decomposers.

If a lion's tapeworm wasn't sitting nice and warm and snug in its gut it would have no chance of getting any zebra meat. What it does best, in fact the only thing it does, is be a parasite and take from the host until the host can get rid of it - in an event of poetic justice by sh*tting it out.

If I want any other site to have anything to do with mine, then I'll link to it and by implication tell the surfers "this is a good place to go too".

The best adapted parasites don't kill their hosts - sites they parasite on in this scenario. They keep them alive for their own ends, like ebates getting CJ to allow them into their programme so that all our cannon-fodder affiliate sites can protect the big guns sitting in the comfy non-exposed position behind the lines sharing a sundowner with the generals.

The other kind of parasites are "facultative parasites" those that could stand on their own two feet, but find life easier if they don't. Here we have most of the networks - ebates does their scummy work for instance while CJ looks the other way pretending not to realise there's a problem, rubbing hands gleefully in private.

Also all those crappy sites that have bought expired domains and use datafeeds to redirect search terms to a particular merchants site - zappos seeme to be particularly targetted at the moment.

What do these people's Mom's think of what they do?

"What is it you do for a living son?"

"I'm a highwayman on the World Wide Web"

"Isn't that dangerous"

"No way! I don't admit what I do, I hide so no-one knows who I am, I pretend it's useful and I'm a pretty good con-man too, there's plenty of money to be made before I get sh*t out - sorry, run out of town".

"I'm glad your dad and I brought you up the right way".

If the merchants had to pay the parasites plus their affiliates, they would cut their commissions in half. No thanks.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread