Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sounds like someone I know!

3 25.00%
  • Sounds like someone I know on ABW!

7 58.33%
  • Its ME!

2 16.67%
    By definition these people are at least temporarily very successful in society. They achieve their success by socially unacceptable means and at the expense of the community and its citizens. As Robertson et al pointed out in 1996 a number of entrepreneurs seem to have these characteristics.

These people tend to embrace a particular and often limited belief system to the exclusion of others. They have no doubts. Typically these belief systems have an internal logic. Actions based on the belief system often produces the desired and predicted outcomes. Their views do not stand up to criticism when alternative understandings are used. Views applicable to some activities in society may be given universal relevance and applied to activities where they are clearly inappropriate. These views or their application should not be acceptable to society but society frequently identifies uncritically with their logic and fails to challenge them.

Sociopathic individuals are extremely self-confidant, intelligent, charismatic and persuasive of others as well as themselves. They inspire those around them and create a dysfunctional culture, - often dizzy and disoriented by its success. Success is proof of the accuracy of any claim they make. Words and sometimes bizarre ideas become a substitute for reality. They surround themselves by supporters who worship them and believe they can do no wrong. These loyalties persist even when their world collapses around them. The community admires them. The system of justice seldom pursues them.

They have enormous drive and ambition but few qualms about how they accomplish their objectives. They are focussed. They deal with conflicting evidence, by selective perception, compartmentalising, rationalising, by attacking its credibility, or by demonising the messenger. They are more likely to develop patterns of thought which allow them to indulge in criminal activity or to disregard the interests of others. They can be very successful entrepreneurs.

They surround themselves with admirers. When a group identifies with dysfunctional ideas and adopts these patterns of thinking then they reinforce each other. Dissenters leave or are ostracised. A subculture or even a culture forms. When this culture is very successful, when there are adverse outcomes for individuals or for sections of society as a consequence of beliefs and actions, and when the culture is deaf to reason or facts then I call this process successful sociopathy. We have ready examples in apartheid and the holocaust. Once a successful culture is established it assumes an independent momentum and spreads rapidly. Its acquires a legitimacy and an unquestioned and self evident correctness, which few dare challenge. Nothing is as convincing as success.

The nature of these sociopaths make the empires which they create extremely fragile and vulnerable - a spectacular house of cards which at times comes tumbling down amidst revelations of misconduct.

When these people hold the floor they are persuasive but their ideas do not stand up to critical scrutiny or questioning. They talk only to the converted. They seldom engage in open debate or give press interviews where they are confronted by critics. They employ trained PR firms to present their point of view.

People like Tenet/NME's John Bedrosian, Columbia/HCA's Richard Scott and Sun Healthcare's Andrew Turner who "shoot their mouth's" usually regret this. Their critics readily expose the barrenness of their arguments. Mostly they keep away from the press.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Steve Jobs from Apple/Next/Pixar
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

LOL!!! Its ME! And, danged proud of it!!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    You hit it right on the nail!

I have a bad feeling that making this post compares with sticking a bloody hand into a shark tank.

I don't understand what you are talking about. Are you describing a person here, all of us or what? People saying things without sensible facts is nothing new. People backing up other people because they admire them or respect them is nothing new either. It may be foolish but it's always been done. Always make a point not to laugh at someones jokes unless you either don't know them or are real friends.

Heyder,

I am reading posts after 4 days off.

Its scarry!
    ---------------------------------------------

Better add call me lets go canoeing and get a better perspective!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am reading posts after 4 days off.

Its scarry! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Competitors who are serious about it usually are.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    The first post doesn't make any sense to me.

I take it to mean that most of the people here at ABW are sociopaths....

I think the poll is screwed up. It says nine votes are counted but shows three? We have a sociopathic poll!

ABW Ambassador
    How about a list of names to choose from, and only the first one counts.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I think Sandra is trying to say that she's concerned the culture at ABW is changing because some people here are being very aggressive about championing their own ideas and gaining adherents to those ideas.

In order for that to work there would have to be lots of very impressionable members whose own belief systems are so weak that they're vulnerable to being swayed by someone who keeps shouting their own agenda at the top of their lungs.

I'm not so sure this is likely to happen here mostly because as a group one of the characteristics most of us possess is an independent nature and we don't take kindly to being told what to do.

Anyway Sandra, sorry if I've misinterpreted what you are trying to say. Hope your vacation was super!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Connie Berg:
    I take it to mean that most of the people here at ABW are sociopaths.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to my club....

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Don't think we'll be seeing an ABW "Best Sociopath 2004" anytime soon........
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Sociopath is not even a recognized diagnosis by DSM IV (the Bible of psychriatric diagnosis) anymore. It's antisocial personality disorder.

Don't know the source for that post, but obviously either uninformed or based on very out-dated information and classifications. While many of the traits given might be related to various other personality disorders, most certainly don't apply to AntiSocial Personality (aka sociopath, psychopath).

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx7.htm
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000921.htm
    http://www.psyweb.com/Mdisord/anpd.html

Having worked with those suffering with mental illness in the past and seeing the impact it can cause on the individuals, family, friends, etc, I really hate to see it when such flippant references are made towards metal health and when the information is so off based.

I can't vote because the correct choice isn't even there, which would be that ABW does not have a bunch of sociopaths in its midst.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> concerned the culture at ABW is changing because some people here are being very aggressive about championing their own ideas and gaining adherents to those ideas. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If that is the case it must be because she is a relatively new member. That is no change. ABW has been that way from day one. And, SandraR isn't all that new.

Ms. B,

Not to be offensive but not everything needs to be so darned PC. I found this title at Amazon and it reminds me of this thread!

What Do You Call A Sociopath In A Cubicle? Answer: A Coworker (A Dilbert Treasury)
    by Scott Adams

SSanf is my co-worker

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    &gt;It says nine votes are counted but shows
    &gt;three?

Katherine Harris wrote the polling software.

Where's SandraR?

While I agree some of the folks here are strongly opinionated, and some may have a tendency toward rambling posts, I really think the community here is full of stable, socially responsible people. Just look at the results of the recent Niches Poll to see the general values of our fellow ABW'ers.

Now, on the other hand, if Sandra was referencing a certain political personality with a warped sense of "doing whatever it takes", regardless of the views of the nearly every other major world leader; who surrounds himself with like-minded warped people who only egg him on...

But this isn't the forum for that kind of discussion.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

Watch out for SSanf!!!

Sandra, you better fix that polling software before November, otherwise you will have a big problem in your hands with all of the hanging chads that would be found afterward.

Results (17 votes counted so far):

2 (12%)
    Sounds like someone I know!
    7 (41%)
    Sounds like someone I know on ABW!
    2 (12%)
    Its ME!

Fix it now, so later people don't blame the end results on Florida again.

Nyaa Haa Haa!

Fair fate for all poll fixers!

SSanf,

Get out your Samaria lady someone is fixing the polls!

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread