View Poll Results: What is your EPV? (earnings per visitor)

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than $0.01

1 5.56%
  • $0.01 to $0.10

5 27.78%
  • $0.11 to $0.20

5 27.78%
  • $0.21 to $0.30

1 5.56%
  • More than $0.30

6 33.33%
    Adding on to my last poll about earnings per page, here is another one in my continuing quest for knowledge.

What is your earnings per visit(or)?

Take your average earnings per month for the last 3 months, divide this by the total number of visitors or visits collected by your stats program.

I know there can be a huge variation with sites that run paid advertising to drive traffic versus sites with only organic search engine traffic etc... Just take a ball park figure and estimate.

So:

Amount of monthly income (average of last 3 months) / visit(ors) per month. (ie. $1000 / 10,000 = $0.10 per visit(or).

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Just a ballpark figure that I use:

Visits per day = Earnings per month

100 visits/day = $100 per month = about $3 per 100 visits = $0.03 per visit

Seems to hold true for the most part. High content, low monetized sites will be less and better monetized sites will be more.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Ian:

As an MBA geek, I love your poll questions!

Thanks for sharing Cheesehead.

Karl, I don't have an MBA but I do come from the "other" side, some may call it the dark side I utilized lots of stats in my M.Sc. and still enjoy it. I learn a lot from the polls here.

Keep'em coming!

Come on people, 118 views and 5 votes! ABW'bers can do better than that! If the poll is confusing as heck or just plain silly, please post some feedback too.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Stats freaks should first overcome the major stat hurdle. The average number of clicks it take to convert one sale. If a merchant sell 20.00 blankets or 300.00 watches the conversion ratio should still be in the ball park of 1 sale per 100 clicks. The reson being the SERPs, let alone the affiliates forcus shoppers towards their avaiable inventory via key words.

Affiliates have an advantage over broad product merchants in that they can concentrate shoppers on just one section of the merchants site. I hate wasting visitors on throwing them to merchants cheapos. I'd rather focus them on real bargains on some expensive stuff using natural SE listings. I can see where a merchant is playing games by comparing page views and clicks and reduce page exposure to the non-converting merchant.

Take a page like www.ecomcity.com/watches.htm It started with 2 equally exposed merchants. Overstock and World Of watches. After 1800 click to world of watches I lost interest in even searching out their best buys as they didn't convert. 1 sale one reversal. Meanwhile OS has sold $52,000 in watches from that page.

The very thought of gambling on PPCSE earnings per click stats is ludicreous if the merchants won't post an honest conversion ratio. My own merchant clients demand conversion stats on their own PPCSE campaigns. Regular SERP traffic for one converts at a steady 5 year ratio of 1/20. Overture records a 1/38 conversion ratio. Adwords is 1/18. Their affiliates average 1/22 due to most not putting up more then a few banners or a text link.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Mike:

If I am understanding the underpinnings of your post - God help me - your strictly focused on commissions. Now there are many of us who generate revenue through a variety of means.

I find conversion ratios especially helpful when determining which merchant to focus on in a particular niche (since we tend to focus on one, two or a small handful of merchants per category, given the limited nature of our AM efforts). But CR is only part of the picture.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I wonder what makes Overture's CR so bad...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Come on Leader. Half the Overture clicks come from searchbars on BHO hijacked systems. Overture knows junk traffic drains accounts so they partner with all the junk traffic players.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm not really surprised to read that OverSure has added more junk traffic. Their attitude has been rotten for a long time--they seem to spend their time deciding how to suck worse, instead of how to improve!

I knew their traffic had turned sour, but I didn't expect the difference in CR between them and AdWords to be *that* huge. They must have added even more junk sources since the last time I bothered with them (over a year ago).
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

OverSure has been a waste of time for a long time. Major positive changes would be needed to pull this program out of the trash can.

When a merchant tries so hard to compete with their own affiliates, it's not really worth the effort. There are other merchants who appreciate and respect what their affiliates can do for them. Find them. Promote them. Let others (like OS) continue to waste money paying for traffic that won't purchase anything anyway.

Andy

Thanks everyone for participaing, voters and posters!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread