ABW Ambassador
    I suspect one of my merchant to overwrite my cookies and I asked cj.com if they are able to see when cookie overwriting happened. The answer:

"When we receive transactions, we cannot tell if it came in on a cookie overwrite, but we do actively monitor publisher activity to find out if anybody is improperly overwriting cookies."

Does cj.com not believe that merchants could overwrite cookies? Why are they fixed on publishers to do that?

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    Typical generic message from CJ ....

Carneol, perhaps you should move on.

Leave CJ and find good indies for your sites.

ABW Ambassador
    I would wonder what their stance is on a CJ merchant signing up as an affiliate and overwriting other affilaite's cookies for other CJ merchants.

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    "I would wonder what their stance is on a CJ merchant signing up as an affiliate and overwriting other affilaite's cookies for other CJ merchants."

There's one begging to get posted and discussed in the "Affiliate's worse Practices" forum Haiko promised us.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

quote:
    Why is cj.com not monitoring merchants?

The simple answer is there is no profit to be made by CJ from the time and manpower it would involve to monitor merchants for shady practices. Additionally, if they alienate a merchant and lose them, it costs CJ money. Whereas, if they monitor affiliates, they can use that as a selling point to attract more merchants and that is where the money is.

CJ is in no way interested in doing right by affiliates. We are just the fodder they use to attract merchants and we are expendable because some new clown will join CJ tomorrow to take our place if we leave and some other active affiliate will stupidly put even more CJ links hoping a few crumbs drop their way. Affiliates are a dime a dozen. Merchants and parasites are where the money is.

Why do you persist in believing that CJ is going to somehow, some day do right by you?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

quote:
    Affiliates are a dime a dozen. Merchants and parasites are where the money is.

Well put. I hadn't thought about it in those terms before. The old "we make money when you make money" philosophy is total horse poohey. Merchants pay CJ cash money each month and that is the bottom line.

My Advice: Adwords, Adwords, Adwords.

quote:
    ". . . but we do actively monitor publisher activity to find out if anybody is improperly overwriting cookies."

'Improperly' is the operative word here. Apperantly, someone can supply the merchant with a notificaion and then 'properly' overright someone elses cookie

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

LOL...imagine this phone call or e-mail

Hi there CJ merchantx;

I'm the guy all those whining low traffic affiliates in your program fear. Sure I'm a sleezebag shanky non-ethical incent BHO, but I can hijack $100,000 in sales from your competitors ecash register per month from my 23 million captive shoppers. Just approve us into your program and we'll trash your competitors. You pick em' we slick em'. We encourage you to use our services hidden commission stealing features free of charge for 30 days as either a merchant, affiliate or both. We furnish you live stats on top of your own and just keep the commissions hijacked (opps I mean earned) during the free trial period or just click here for a immediate full XXXXXX.com membership and we'll waive all entry fees.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

rofl

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

quote:
    You pick em' we slick em'.

I have additional comment I can't post em I'd get banned!

Awe come on Roadkill ...I'm approaching 10,000 posts here, with my mouth, without getting banned ...yet!

Mike & Charlie ...

ABW Ambassador
    I asked cj.com if they also monitor merchants and got that answer:

"Yes, we monitor advertisers to make sure they do not overwrite cookies. That is strictly not allowed."

Cookie overwriting is strictly not allowed?

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    "Yes, we monitor advertisers to make sure they do not overwrite cookies. That is strictly not allowed."

Overwriting by merchants is not allowed. Of course not because then CJ doesn't get its share.
    But affiliates owerwriting each other's cookies.... well, they couldn't care less. As long as someone or something is credited with the sale, all is well.

ABW Ambassador
    Irma: 2 years ago I asked cj.com if it is right that a merchant is his own affiliate and they said" yes". So overwriting by a merchant pays all without the affiliate which generated the sale.

carneol

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread