View Poll Results: Affiliates: Do you have a programming background?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, and it hasn't been a problem.

18 15.65%
  • No, and it has limited what I can do.

29 25.22%
  • Yes, I was/am a professional programmer.

35 30.43%
  • Yes, I took programming classes.

4 3.48%
  • Yes, I am a self-taught programmer.

29 25.22%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Do you have a computer programming background? Choose the first answer that applies to you.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    All three "Yes" answers apply.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    How about "I suppose I could technically say 'yes,' but the 1 class in BASIC in 1985 and a crummy class in PASCAL in 1986 hasn't really been a help!"
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

My work as a database applications developer hasn't helped much in having many built-in skills that transfer over to the web. I'm self-taught in JavaScript and use that scripting language extensively on my sights. Really should get a grip and make a site that is dynamic... but since I still work a day j*b -- the design work on webstites is really where my interest lies.

ABW Ambassador
    Leader, rusty old skills. My last computer class - fortran using punch cards has been a great help...

Actually i amazed at people who can do this without some level of technical background. And if you have a background as a database application developer and it isn't helping you, you need to um... sit back and think how it can.

Chet

Chez,

Same here. I used Fortran to run programs with punch cards on a CDC 6400 mainframe that fit into a large warehouse. Thanks for the windows, Bill!
    ~Ernie

mainframe a/p

Hi Chet

The database applications I put together are generally financial based or tracking databases developed using Microsoft Access. I really should get on the ball and start doing more extensive programming on my sites. There is a whole new horizon waiting for me - I'm sure.

I guess if I can handle REXX, COBAL, VBA - what's one or two more langages?

Apple Basic(self taught).
    Machine Lanquage for some IBM thingy wrote one program to sort punch cards alphabeticaly (took that class cc college).
    UCSD Pascal to generate 3d graphics on Apple2 (college class art school)

I don't remember any of that stuff
    Within the past 3 years:

Taught myself perl--hacking my way through php. I don't have the time or the mind
    (I was pregnant for a few years--small children now)
    to write full code so I hack opensource stuff and tailor it...probably would be easier to just learn PHP already and quit hacking

My Story--Suz
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Wow! Definitely confirmed what I suspected. Two thirds of us are nerds, and almost half of those who aren't wish they were.

All three "Yes" answers apply to me, too. I think it's a natural progression for many. Learning on your own, taking classes, and then getting a j-o-b.

I think having programming knowledge helps open a lot of possibilities in affiliate marketing. It's not essential, but very helpful.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    I took classes in *ahem* 1975 so they don't count. We don't seem to need punch cards now
    Basic, RPG, Fortran and god knows I can't remember what else. Took one semester, dropped out, got married, had kids, bought a Commodore 64 and learned more basic. Have done database stuff since Dbase III, loved Dbase IV.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think having programming knowledge helps open a lot of possibilities in affiliate marketing. It's not essential, but very helpful. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, but it's amazing how well people do without any programming background. I think it really comes down to your marketing talent in this profession. I came into this a programmer and I'm becoming more and more of a sales person every day.

That said, I've been doing *web* programming for 7 years, but I started programming about 15 years ago. For web programming I started with perl and moved on to PHP about 4 years ago. I love programming, it's the one thing that keeps me constantly challenged. Wrote my first program when I was 10 years old on my Apple IIC+ in Basic. I've been hooked ever since. I've tried 3D video game programming, desktop programming, java applications, assembly and some obscure languages like mIRC and Scheme. I even used to write little games in my calculator back in high school and distribute them to all my friends.

After all that time it's finally become clear that programming really is a means to an end. I'll be free from my full time programming job shortly where I can finally start broadening my horizons and start a new profession. Of course affiliate marketing will always be there keeping me supported

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I took classes in *ahem* 1975 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> You are not my grandma in disguise are you loxly?
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    I have pretty much 0 background in computers. The only class i took was in high school and that was using Atari 800XL computers and i can turn a single sided floppy disk into a double sided by using a hole puncher. I don't even know html but my editor does

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I took classes in *ahem* 1975 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> You are not my grandma in disguise are you loxly? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I refuse to answer that question.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Absolutely no programming knowledge and I see it as a major disadvantage in this business.
    7 years' experience in tech support so I'm not exactly unfamiliar with nuts and bolts computer stuff.
    Also new to marketing, so I am lacking in 2 of the main requisites for success in this business.
    Apart from that, having lots of fun... (and the occasional frustration) and continuing to learn.

I am very very surprised that more people have no programing experience and do not think it holds them back than there is think it does hold them back, the mind boggles.

I'm the same as you Radegast only you have more experience than me in computers I was a mere construction worker.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

You don't need school to learn a 4th level language. If you did why would they have invented it?

I agree with Heyder, you don't really need school to learn to program. Ironically I have a degree in Computer Science that hasn't helped me one bit in my online programming experience.

Everything I know that gives me value was learned on my own.
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I'm with weisinator;

All three yes - and it has helped me immensely.

HEY Everyone

Where's Mikes Answer??????

Mike --- OOOOhh --- MIKE!!!!!!

Calling MIKE!!!!!

MIKE!

OK Fine

CHARLIE!!! tweet tweet! Charlie -

Charlie want a cracker!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Took a computer programming class at U of M in 1967 .... Took some basic classes when working for Wang labs in the 70's. Self taught on HTML in 1996. Been selling and installing computers since the 70's. Programming is one skill this Geek will forever take a pass on...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Okay SandraR send Charlie the Cracker!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

DANG Nova

Charlie said Planters Please!

ABW Ambassador
    Professional programmer yes, self-taught, yes. Never took a programming class. First and only computer class was in the early 80's, an Intro to CAD, taught in those earliest days by an architect with absolutely no CAD experience. To be fair, nobody had any worthwhile experience in Computer Drafting in those days. To toot my own horn, I was a quick study and was soon teaching my instructor. In return, and for which I will be eternally grateful, he steadily pressured me to quit my 15 year job with the Postal Service to study and work in Architecture full time.

At the same time, another professor told me he thought CAD was a fad like in the 60's when architects experimented with LSD to enhance their design experience and warned me that it had no future. He later became a friend and I never tired of teasing him about it especially when I had work and he didn't.

I was hooked though and lucked onto a job where my boss was not only an architect but his first love was programming CAD applications. By "reverse engineering" his programs with the help of a couple of reference books, I taught myself and when he left to pursue other interests, I took his job and have been programming ever since. When Reagan and Bush the First drove the economy into the sewer and nearly all new construction died, all the architects I knew were out of work but I was somehow in demand.

The fact that I wrote hundreds of thousands of lines of undocumented spaghetti code, what the Dilbert artist called the "Holy Grail of Programming" might have increased my value to my employers. The owner of the company said it was like having the only car built by an ecentric inventor. You had to let him live in the garage until you didn't need the car anymore. At any rate, my programming skills kept food on the table and my daughters in private schools during those lean years.

The process of learning to think logically made it easy to learn Visual Basic, ASP, etc, which is still carrying me through, though now I get to live in my own garage

Advice: Learn a programming language that may help your affiliate marketing efforts. Especially, focus on a language that will allow you to access a database and display the results on your website. Even if you subscribe to the belief that datafeeds equal search engine spam (which is patently untrue,) knowing how to access stored data will open up new horizons for your sites.

Wayne

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast