View Poll Results: Which low cost, or no cost, methods of generating traffic have worked best for you?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Search Engine Optimization (including solutions or software)

4 33.33%
  • Search Engine Submissions (free)

7 58.33%
  • Directory Submissions (like the Open Directory)

0 0%
  • Direct Marketing (either electronic or print)

1 8.33%
  • Other (please specify in your post)

0 0%
    At the request of a Lightspeed affiliate, I'm going to be publishing a comprehensive list of traffic building strategies. In particular, I'm interested in the low cost and no cost methods. I'm curious about which of the following low or no cost methods* have driven the most volume of visitors to your site?

* Oh, and I realize this list isn't comprehensive, so please post other methods that might not be included in the poll.

Many thanks,
    Michelle

I never advertised my site. And I get over 1.5 to 3 million unique visitors a month. All thanks to Google, News.google, Newsbot.msn, Yahoo, Rss.yahoo , msnsearch and all the websites/blogs who link to our unique content.

So my answer would be unique content will bring them in after a spider checks it out.

Thanks, Mikey. That's awesome that you've paid virtually nothing for your traffic. I'll be sure to include 'unique content crawled by spiders'(and you as the source) in my post listing low/no cost traffic building strategies.

Take Care,
    Michelle

Mikey:

Geez, I thought we did well on traffic, but 3 million unique visitors in a month? Yikes.

Anyway, our main traffic generator has been ads placed in our three sister newspapers. That's helped us leverage their strong market share into strong audience and traffic numbers; well, strong unless you compare them to Mikey's.

Our opt-in daily headline newsletter has done nicely, too.

We had a big six-month run on billboards throughout our geographic market, which we'll repeat early next year ... or maybe the spring ... but that certainly wasn't low-cost, although it was surprisingly affordable. The main goal there, really, was advertiser awareness to help generate support for new products. It worked quite well.

3million.. someday.

for now.
    In September I had just over 11k uniques
    In January of this year I was at 2.5k where I Had been for about 2 years.

You want to know how I quadroupled my visits just look at my Registered Date at the bottom of this post.

One of the things I started implementing was a page a day (sometimes I don't get a page but make it up the next day or so). It works.. my stats tell me it works and yea, my commissions say the same thing..

Wow, the stats I'm reading are impressive.

Hey Marty, can you elaborate a bit on what you implemented? I'm not sure I understand whaqt page a day refers to, but would love to understand it, especially since it worked wonderfully for you and your stats.

Thanks!
    Michelle

A page a day means.. create a web page to ADD to my site EVERY day. (most every day).
    More PAGES, equals MORE Visitors.

Some pages just explode with Traffic, others dwindle traffic in.. the trick is KNOWING which is which, but seriously you just NEVER know until the page is out there.

Thanks! It sounds pretty simple, but I agree, sometimes it's hard to predict what content will bring in more eyeballs.

I'll be sure to include your feedback in my list of low cost/no cost traffic methods (and will credit you as the source of course).

Take Care,
    Michelle

I had nearly 120k uniques in September but 26% of my visitors were from bookmarks or URL type-ins. All other traffic is from search engines, not PPC. No other advertising or paid promotional efforts. I posted this to emphasize the importance of return visitors. If one or several search engine traffic changes I won't be devastated by it.
    ~Ernie

So what kind of affiliate income to you generate with this kind of traffic? Im not even close to 1k on any of my sites but average 3k a month in income. If I had that kind of traffic I could retire in a year!

When I first started my site 2 years ago I was absolutely stupid, and had no idea how to attract visitors. I spent hours and hours doing metatags and spent quite a bit of money for paid search engine submissions. None of this really worked and I then turned to Google AdWords which was OK at first, but I found that I wasn't really turning much of a profit when I subtracted the costs involved. After joining ABW I did a lot of reading and started making pages using direct product linking (not datafeeds). Well it seems that this was definitely the right way to go because I've been doing pretty well ever since. Now every spare moment I get I build more and more pages and find that they are spidered very quickly (some as fast as 3 days). Being an ABW member has taught me a lot, and I thank everyone for sharing their know-how.

Well I guess I should add that I do have a few high traffic sites, but they are not income generators so I tend not to count them.

http and a telephoto
    I didn't vote because it is all of the above. There is no silver bullet and no fast way to build free traffic. You need to have something on your sites that people are looking for. And that is just the beginning, good design, and hundreds of other elements all play into your free and low cost traffic.

The rules are changing and even if I knew specifically what worked for me, it most likely won't work for new sites. My sites that get the most traffic and make the most money are sites that according to the naysayers here shouldn't perform at all or should be dropping from the engines.

So it is a combination of things and the most important is having what people are looking for and presenting it in a way that they will bookmark you and send their friends. I get a whole look of bookmarked and direct type in traffic, you can't put a price on the value of that!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Hi Jane,

How are you driving your traffic? Just curious, because even though you're getting in 1k a month, the fact that it's generating $3k in income is great.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thanks, everyone, for voting. Here's a recap ...

Most of the votes (67%) are coming in for the search engines (surprised? I didn't think so). Next in line is search engine optimization (22%) and the last vote is for (11%) Direct Marketing. No votes were casted yet for the other methods (Directory Submissions and Other).

The feedback I'm getting in is great. Here's the list of no cost/low cost traffic building methods so far:

- Natural search from Google, News.google, Newsbot.msn, Yahoo, Rss.Yahoo, msnsearch, & blogs/sites linking to unique content (hardwaregeeks.com gets 1.5m - 3m monthly!)
    - Newspaper ads (phillyburbs.com also sees strong traffic numbers)
    - Opt-in Newsletter
    - Billboards in geo. market (no low cost, but affordable option for advertiser awareness)
    - Adding a new page to your site every day (helps drive more visitors to Marty's site)
    - Bookmarks (Out of 120k, Ernie sees a little over 31k coming from return visits)
    - Combination of all methods, plus good design, having what people are looking for, bookmarks, direct type-ins, and referrals (Deborah gets much of her traffic from the bookmarks and direct type-ins)

I'll add to this list as more votes comes in, and will publish it on the Lightspeed Affiliate Blog.

Thanks again,
    Michelle

Michelle, don't forget the most important thing of all - making good quality sites. Cookie Cutter sites do not apply.
    Ebudae

Thanks, I'll include that in my list. Good design should be a separate item.

Take Care,
    Michelle

http and a telephoto
    No, Good design is part of what you are talking about right here. If you separate design and promotion (especially SEO) you are making a major mistake.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Offline, I advertise my business.
    Advertise, Advertise, Advertise

I need the people in my area to stop calling me and jump on the computer LOL
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Just from running an outdoors/fishing forum:
    I have a local radio fishing show wanting to have me on to discuss my site amd forum I run plus have received a few nice plugs in a local fishing magazine here. All help in a small way

I am finalizing running an ad for 5 weeks in some local coffee shop newsletters for xmas, hoping to get some non search engine traffic
    I will be forking over $350.00 for 8 weekly ads. Nice part when I run my ad it's exclusive so no other web sites can run ads and try to compete in any issue I am in.

Am going to send out a couple feelers to local TV stations about internet marketing/shopping angle we are running with the above ads and try to get them running a story with my site a part of the story

I am searching out new ways to find new traffic as not able to do much travelling anymore and working my sales agency as I had been last 9 years.
    The net is 99% full time for me now.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread