View Poll Results: Should This Be Allowed......

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it is very wrong for this to be happening.

31 100.00%
  • Yes, it's a free country and they have a right to make money.

0 0%
  • Don't know..it depends on how directly or indirectly they are involved with such a service.

0 0%
    Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Since I've slept on it and still feel the same way, I'll put it to the community.

Should a company that is running in all the Networks freely as an 'affiliate' and also has software applications which 'target' pop ups which can auto set cookies and overwrite affiliate links (just put out of your mind they shouldn't be in any Network to begin with because the reality is that they are) also be engaging in a service which tracks/monitors visitors and delivers ROI statistics (in the vein of hitbox, etc) on Merchant's sites? Such 'tracking' involves collecting information including but not limited to: page URL, page title and conversion ratios. It also involves It also involves direct intervention with the Merchants cookie.

Nope, but if they do, then I want access to all of that info as well.

Not all that sure I understand the all of the question but it sure sounds nasty to me.

I say hang them out to dry. Or, better yet, turn them over to Mike and let him "explain" it to them.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Hell No!

15 years and counting
    Is there a reason for you to don't name the company? I think I know who they are.
    For sure, it's wrong but they can't do it without the complicity of the merchant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hell No! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Double, Triple Hell NO!

We can put him/her in the mountain of FireAnts and put some extra sugar cookies all over him/her first!

I know I can be really cruel, if I let me!

So what's next?

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

seems like an out and out "NO" verdict on this one Ms.B

Hope you are feeling better now Ms.B or AFP whichever one you are today
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is there a reason for you to don't name the company? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because I want to hear folks thoughts on the practice in general first before them knowing who it is possibly plays impacts on how they respond.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>it's wrong but they can't do it without the complicity of the merchant. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, however the Merchant would also need to understand who is involved. It's possible that knowledge might not be there in some cases.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Just added my NO, to the rest of the 100% No so far.

Let us know who they are, I think it's the same people that sent me an email last night specialy when you mention "a service which tracks/monitors visitors and delivers ROI statistics on Merchant's sites".

They are an affiliate and also want to consult with me and recruit affiliates.

No worries I will be saying who.

Hey Cditty...I caught part of your post before you removed it.

In peanuts dude..in peanuts.......

Teach me to assume your reply was in regards to another post. Had a big WHOOPS there.

PMing you shortly.
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm sure they are proud members of the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB) and the Direct Marketing Assoc. (DMA) with intimate ties to Linkshare's Professional AM Management enity and the hand full of AM firms controlling 500+ major merchants.

My guess from seeing a 70% drop in sales from Overstock and Tigerdirect the AM's there are wineing and dining them. Tigerdirect refuses to acknowlege HITBOX even exists as a click/cookie killing redirect on every landing page or that their sleezebag cookie stuffers use 180Solutions to target my site. This October since the 7th I've earned 0.46 cents at TD while last year it was over 350.00 on the same traffic.

Overstock, with 6 employee AM's, must have a gag order on their being #1 on every cookie stuffers list and silently paying off the Titanium Award winners. Seems they have intimately gotten in bed with every mass advertising wank shaking their Adwhore ass at the boys there for 3 years. Now we see Live Help popping on shoppers, useless coupons (Club-O eliminates that need) and datafeeds ripe for doorwar page cookie stuffers and SE trademark spammers. Opps I see no response from my last weeks requests on not batching any sales since the 22nd and questions on if the new "easy payment plan" cart option isn't run by a Duper affiliate. Told them outsourcing their complete customers privacy and credit info at the point of sale was a big no-no to a known DMA spam list broker and telemarketer.

At least Overstock continues to hold the all time record at LS for prompt payment. They just can't figure out how their site, that closes 1 sale per 60 visits from non-affiliate traffic sources, can't do better then 1/200 from their value-add affiliate pool. My suggestion would be for Overstock contract with me to arrange buying Linkshare and clean house on all incent advertising and put in place my Safe Haven Sales network transforming this industry over night.

Meanwhile Haiko's IC plan for ABW doesn't effect me as everyone openly knows who I am since 1998 on any forum I post at....
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thanks to all who voted and expressed their opinion.

The company who is providing the ROI tracking is SendTraffic. From their website:

"...integrating bid management, media tracking and real-time ROI reporting into one user-friendly interface. ....manage the day-to-day adjustments of all your PPC search engine bids, track your online marketing campaigns, and analyze real-time reporting to maximize your ROI."

The Merchant copies and pastes js code into their page and confirmation pages. Now while SendTraffic is the one marketing and providing this service, when the call goes out for the external js for the tracking, the js gets pulled from tracking.exactadvertising.com. For those who may not know, Exact Advertising is our friends responsible for Bullseye (the application formally known as BargainBuddy), CashBackBuddy and ExactSearch Toolbar. All of these applications are contextually based in some fashion. BB and ExactSearch will give pop-ups. CBB will just redirect the traffic automatically through their affiliate link. BB and CBB will overwrite a cookie. BB will allow for 3rd party advertisers (like 18o). All 3 can become active on the Merchants site. BB and ExactSearch also target affiliate's sites.

SendTraffic is listed on ExactAdvertising's web site as a partner. ExactAdvertising has affiliate status with all the major Networks (SAS excluded of course). Any affiliate can advertise through BB though if you are willing to pay. I have seen ABW members sites on the BB target list in the past (made a post or 2 about it).

So what exactly is the partner relationship between Exact and SendTraffic? Why is a simple js file being called from the Exact servers under a subdomain labeled "tracking" for a service they aren't directly marketing? Whatever that relationship is, it warrants Exact specfically naming SendTraffic as a partner. What information, if any, is being shared between SendTraffic and Exact? I couldn't find any references to ExactAdvertising on the SendTraffic web site.

My own personal opinion is that anyone with an affiliate status should have NO connections whatsoever with this type of site traffic monitoring. And certainly not one who has at least 3 software applications and whose behavior has been to intercept and redirect other web sites traffic as their own with the approval or financial compensation to those sites.

And I'm not even going to go into the fact that the Merchant's cookie is being mucked around with (ie sendtraffic providing cookie info and on repeat visits they have to be reading that cookie to get their stats since it's their info in the cookie).

Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk to put it mildly.

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

Ms.B how do we Google this JS file to find out what merchants and Dupers ride this gravy train?

Interesting ....
    Traffix acquires SendTraffic.com

June 11, 2004

Traffix today announces that it has signed an agreement to purchase all of the assets of SendTraffic.com, a search engine marketing company.

Formed in 1999 by Messrs. Greg Byrnes and Craig Handleman, SendTraffic has been recognized as one of the top search engine marketing firms.

SendTraffic provides full service search engine marketing solutions to over 100 clients. During its five year operating history, SendTraffic has established strong working relationships with the major search engines and portals, including Google, MSN, Overture, FindWhat, Yahoo, AOL, Ask Jeeves and LookSmart.

SendTraffic maintains a "Certified Ambassador" status with Overture, and is a member of the Google Research Board.

Traffix reported that it expects SendTraffic to generate approximately $10 million in revenue and $1 million of EBITDA (1) in the next twelve months. In calendar 2003, SendTraffic generated revenue of approximately $5 million and an adjusted EBITDA of approximately $300,000.

Traffix expects to close the transaction on or about July 1, 2004. Traffix believes that the acquisition will be immediately accretive to Traffix's future earnings per share.

The Company also noted that after the closing of the SendTraffic transaction, it will still have cash and marketable securities on its balance sheet of over $33 million.

Under the terms of the acquisition agreement, dated June 9th, 2004, Traffix will purchase all of the assets (including net working capital of approximately $500,000) of SendTraffic at the closing for $5.43 million, comprised of $1.68 million in Traffix common stock, and $3.75 million in cash.

http://www.rankforsales.com/n-au/615-seo-jun-11-04.html

Note the performance bonus in the purchase price for incenting additional revenue sources... http://www.realseo.com/archives/000408.html
    In addition, Traffix agreed to pay SendTraffic a contingent earnout of $2.5 million if SendTraffic generates EBITDA of $3.75 million in the first year following the closing, an additional $2.5 million if SendTraffic generates EBITDA of $4.75 million in the second year following the closing, and an additional $2.5 million if SendTraffic generates EBITDA of $5.75 million in the third year following the closing.

http://www.jupiterevents.com/sew/bos...ndtraffic.html

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Google doesn't 'read' js.

I found this while working on something completely different. Unfortunately that seems to happen quite a bit.

Just wanted to add in fairness to Merchants who may be using this service, they may not realize all the possible implications here. Heck Exact targets Merchants also.

They are given a glob of code to plug into their pages that references exactadvertising in the middle of that glob. They may not even see it or if they do realize or make a connection. They after have signed on with a company called SendTraffic which is not unusual in the services it provides. And again I didn't find any reference on SendTraffic to ExactAdvertising (even if the Merchant realized who ExactAdvertising is and put it all together).

Let me guess. Network AM dept's plus IAB/DMA 3rd party AM firms get recruitment fees for enticing merchants into the fold....or trap.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Different company than the one that email me but same principle.

Thanks for the heads up Kellie I hope this one does not send me an email, cause its going in file 13

Traffix: the folks behind GroupLotto.com, AtlasCreditGroup.com, PrizeAmerica.com, iMatchup.com, jewelclaimcenter.com, direct deposit promotions(whereby a consumer can win up to $5,000 instantly if a portion of his or her credit card number matches a pre-selected winning number ), and scratch & win.

&lt;~~~~~~feels the need for a shower coming on.

Make that a flea dip bath Ms.B and invite some merchants and Am's into the bubble bath. With the elite group you'll need fine wine and cigars to entice them.

Something is more than alittle wrong with this

Just when I think I have it all figured out....arghhhhhh!
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread