3 17.65%
  • 25 to 50% have paid

2 11.76%
  • 50 to 75% have paid

2 11.76%
  • 75 to 100% have paid off

6 35.29%
    ABW Ambassador
    I have a list of all of the affiliate programs that I've successfully joined and a list of all of the checks I've received, broken down by merchant. Not surprising, most of the programs have never paid a dime. The reasons vary: Many of the affiliate programs are no good. Many have gone bankrupt and stiffed me before payment. Most just don't fit my traffic (I am not sending sufficient traffic).

Anyway, the poll question is to take the list of all of the affiliates you've successfully joined and compare that to the list of all that have physically paid you (Don't count BF and LS programs where you have not made minimum payments yet. As CJ and SAS consolidate payments, include all merchants that have given you a commission).

26% of the programs I've joined have put money in my pocket. The rest languish.

It's not quite as simple as that.

I have one recent merchant where I've earned around $10,000 and received less than $1,000. The merchant continues to promise that the rest of my money is coming. We'll see. He could afford a full page ad in Revenue, but he's six months late paying me. (Don't ask--I'm not going to name names yet.)

I have probably 50 merchants from 1999 and 2000 who went bankrupt. I received regular payments from most of those merchants before they went bankrupt, but only received pennies on the dollar (if anything) for my final few months.

I have tons of merchants I've applied to but never promoted. I have zero clicks, zero sales, zero commissions, and zero receipts. Those shouldn't skew the numbers.

I think it's more reasonable to consider total commissions earned (more than a month or two ago) versus total commissions received. With that measurement, I'm probably at or above 90%.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I realize that determining good programs is not simple. Of course, when asking for data, you want something simple to define. You got paid something so it would count as a paying relation. To get to 26%, I counted CJ and SAS merchants that paid under a dollar, but I have those pennies in the bank.

I really want to see the number of programs that never even get off the ground...those that crash and burn are a different story.

I admit, I will often join a program, find out that they are infested with parasites or have too many diversions and I never promote the program.

http and a telephoto
    The number of programs joined has no correlation to number of programs promoted. So a better question is, of the programs you activedly promote, how many have made money.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    I have been in this game for 5 years.

I have never had a releationship with a merchant that didn't pay [added: exect for Net2Phone].

Where can I vote 98%

When you run mall sites I can understand your exposure.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    The $50 min payout merchants have a pretty good racket going! Get lots of small-timers to collectively bring in a lot of sales and not pay out a dime! Get some parasite action to make sure they don't break the threshold as well. It should be a network rule that merchants pay out at the end of the year for any amount over $10!

I am Cheesehead and I approve this message!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Presuming the intent of the poll is what Loxly's suggests...the percentage of actively promoted affiliate programs that have paid, I'm also up there in the 90%+ mark. There's a couple at Linkshare that don't get much traffic that haven't sent a cheque, an online gambling site that went, um, offline and maybe one more, but otherwise, I've received cheques from all merchants I've ever earnt commission from.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loxly:
    The number of programs joined has no correlation to number of programs promoted. So a better question is, of the programs you activedly promote, how many have made money. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought about asking that question, but the "actively promoting" concept tosses in a subjective criteria. At what point do you feel that you are actively promoting a merchant? Everyone will answer this differently. I don't actively promote a merchant until after I prove that the program will pay off with my traffic.

Answers to the question will often vary according to the amount of research done before or after joining a program. For example, I might drop a program after I realize it is parasite infected.

I suspect that the majority of merchant/affiliate relations are bust. It seems to me that merchants should auto-approve and not worry too much about inactive affiliates...as they are just testing waters. Likewise, I think affiliates should be diligent. If the affiliate decides (for whatever reason) that a merchant isn't doing what they want, they should simply not promote it).

http and a telephoto
    If I sign up for a program and toss up a couple of links, buttons or banners and it doesn't convert, that isn't a program I consider myself to be actively promoting. If I put up a page or a subdirectory dedicated to a merchant or topic that that merchants products should sell well with, I consider that actively promoting it. If I sign up for a merchant and don't get any banners or links up at all then obviously I don't include it in the mix as being actively promoted. I have a long to do list of merchants I have signed up for and have datafeeds for that I may not get to for a couple of months.

If a program doesn't have a datafeed, it probably won't convert for me at all. Uncloaked, out there links, just don't convert. If I can't put links in my format I can't promote them in a way that will benefit the merchant. Sometimes I give them a try anyway, but I don't count them as non-paying. Maybe I should. Since 5 (3 indies, 2 CJ) merchants make me the majority of my money, and I promote probably 30-40 now, that makes the percentage of converting merchants for me low, but that may be due to many, many reasons and I am not about to condemn them all yet Lots of my sites are less than a year old and haven't been through a holiday season yet, so I would be more likely to revisit this question and come up with an answer in January.

I hope this isn't considered "off topic", I just wanted to share my view of "actively promoting", especially if people are looking at this as a way of judging whether or not to keep links to a program up.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    You aren't off topic. I just hope that people are indicating the percentage of programs that they joined. I often do a poor job of wording questions.

The difference between joining a program and actively promoting it is quite large.

I used to feel that if I joined a program, I had some sort of obligation to promote it. I now figure that it is better to concentrate on what is working to drop what is not.

I certainly didn't answer that way. With 75% of the programs I've joined, I have yet to put up a link. I certainly don't expect to get a check from those programs. I've never done anything to earn one.

It's pretty meaningless to look at merchants from which you've received a check versus merchants whose programs you've joined. Only those you've promoted should count.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I apologize for being unclear in the poll. I suspect that the vast majority of affiliate/merchant relations never pay a dime. The poll figures counter my suspicions.

I was hoping the pole would be followed by a discussion of why affiliate/merchant relations flounder.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>The Affiliate never makes pages or adds the links anywhere
    <LI>The affiliate makes pages, but doesn't promote the pages.
    <LI>The affiliate promotes it but the promotions don't work.
    <LI>The affiliate finds a better deal.
    <LI>The program was rotten from start to finish.
    <LI>The merchant bellies up.
    <LI>The merchant boots out the affiliate for some mysterious reason.
    <LI>The affiliate stops promoting a merchant...I've dropped companies for parasite issues.[/list]

My guess is that most programs fail in promotion area. The poll numbers seem to indicate that most ABWers are a lot more diligent in their research than me.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread