• Yes - And both of the above

5 23.81%
  • Yes - But none of the above would be helpful

2 9.52%
  • No not used one or didn't like it

11 52.38%
    Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi All

I have been puttering around with RSS readers and feeds the last couple of days and would like to ask for some feedback on this as follows -

Do you have an RSS Reader Installed and if so would any of the below be interesting..

http and a telephoto
    If it is a feed that I can use with one of the nuke feed blocks I would like anything I can get
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

To kick things off I was thinking more along the lines of info that would be useful on an RSS Reader, things like bonus announcements, changes, coupons updates the kind of stuff that goes into an email and then into a black hole.

From there taking it a step further to provide Web based RSS feeds that could potentially provide content, products links etc, probably very Web Service Like, we're looking at web services too.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

http and a telephoto
    Ah, then change my vote to not useful at all. I have no clue how to do any of that and don't do email marketing.
    Deborah Carney

Chris,

I was going to post the same question over the weekend and did not get around to it. I have a ton of ideas for this.

We should chat about it.

Cheers,

Beth

Hi Chris and Beth!

I'm definitely going to keep my eye on this thread. Would love to see everyone's response to the RSS question as I think there is a ton of possibility here!

There seems to be a fair spread of votes and thoughts across the board so we're going to crack ahead with a first version this week.

This will be aimed at pure syndication of news to Readers, not for web sites unless you want to promote the Content, which we'll certainly have no issues with (directories and other AM sites would probably find it useful)

Hope to have something up and available later this week.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Chris,

You forgot the answer "No - But am looking into the technology, and might be interested in working with Web1 Studio or one of their merchants"

Fred

What Fred said

http and a telephoto
    And it would be nice if Chris, who is so good at this stuff , would point us to where to find out what to actually DO with it once we have it.....
    Deborah Carney

Okay hint taken

Good place to start is here

www.rssreader.com where you can download a free reader and can feeds to link to

OR pick the reader of your choice here

http://blogspace.com/rss/readers

Then what you can do is subscribe to syndicated news or feeds from web sites that supply them, for example say you are a sports fanatic and you want to get updates on articles from a guy running a Football Blog or site he can set up his content to syndicate and you can grab it to read or act as an update to their being a new item to read. It's not all that different to the Push technology that Microsoft released about 4-5 years back, that failed but RSS is taking off.

Saves you running around the web looking for the news and you don't get a mail box full of crap, get bored of it, delete it, no messing around trying to unsubscribe

The next use for RSS is to feed content direct into your web site, i.e A merchant could run monthly fashion news and articles which would update on the fly on your site.

And that's my poor effort to explain it, more info is here

http://blogspace.com/rss/resources

As an affiliate you could create an RSS that your customers subscribe too, they read your news and visit your site to learn more.

Cheers

Chris

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Thanks for the reader links.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>A merchant could run monthly fashion news and articles which would update on the fly on your site.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That'd be great IF my tracking links were automatically included...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That'd be great IF my tracking links were automatically included... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be the ultimate goal

First version is undergoing some local testing should have it live early next week

Cheers

Chris

Well for those that want to take a look please direct your readers here

http://feeds.feedburner.com/AMWSO

Cheers

Chris

ABW Ambassador
    Chris, getting an error when trying to get the news feed.

I'm not getting any errors. I am getting the xml feed and already added it to my reader.

Chris
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm still getting this:

The XML page cannot be displayed
    Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing resource 'http://feeds.feedburner.com/AMWSO'. Line 9, Position 83

&lt;p&gt;Arts &amp; Crafts category sold. With over 60 titles in this one category, you

Unless i'm not doing it right.

Nevermind. Chris said he'll roll it out after vacation.

I tried in IE and got the error you are getting. That's the difference between the firefox reader and the ie one.

Yea, this is something that Mr Chris will need to fix asap.

Chris
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.

RSS HUH?
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

Great thread! I still don't understand how to get a feed displaying properly on my site. I've got an RSS feed for an affiliate store (itunes), tried uploading as XML on site, also tried viewing with the RSS Reader. Totally lost.

This has the potential of being an extremely useful tool for merchants and affiliates - but finding easy to understand info on how to use it properly is frazzled.

Also - if the shopper doesn't have an RSS reader installed, does that mean they can't see the RSS Feed?

Liz Welsh Tompkins
    Styleforfree.com
    email: [email="lwtompkins@styleforfree.com"]lwtompkins@styleforfree.com[/email]
    [url="http://twitter.com/styleforfreecom"]Twitter[/url] | [url="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=625631089&ref=name"]Facebook[/url]

Hi Liz. Just sent you a pm with a solution.

As for if the user does not have a RSS Reader install, they will see the RSS file itself. However, you can other your users links to free RSS readers when they see your feed.

Chris

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread