View Poll Results: Staying productive during a slow holiday/post-holiday season?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Post new content

7 53.85%
  • Update landing pages / update creative

3 23.08%
  • Check links

0 0%
  • Re-read content

0 0%
  • Other (please describe other ways you stay productive)

3 23.08%
    According to a recent study by digital marketing technology provider, Atlas DMT, as reported by the E-Commerce Times, the 2004 holiday shopping season’s busiest days have come and gone (it was last week).

How do you stay productive during a post-holiday season? Please take the poll and send me your comments.

Take Care,
    Michelle

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    All of the above.

I'm never at a loss for projects to do or messes to clean up or pages to tweak. There are new programs to identify and lots more, too.

Gear up for 'after Christmas' promotions and then finish tweaking for valentines then on to Mother's day, then Father's day, etc, etc. ... it's a never ending cycle

People don't stop buying because it's not Christmas, AM is not like H&R Block - it's open 24/7/365!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thanks, Rhea. I'm sure there's other busy work that you do that's not included in my list; care to share?

Thanks again,
    Michelle

Thanks, Haiko! So true about affiliate marketing work. I'm busier than ever right now.

http and a telephoto
    Busy work? I have sites to get geared up for after holiday sales and spending (Aunts and Uncles give the kids $$ to spend) and Valentines Day is right around the corner.

No, I don't have busy work to do, I have major site updates underway.

And the post holiday and New Years resolustions health craze, need to be ready for that too.

When is the supposed down time? None around here!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Hi Michelle,

I don't think of what I listed as "busy work." They're all tasks that are necessary to keep my sites fresh and running smoothly. Granted they're not as much fun as trying to find hot products for Christmas, but it ain't all fun and games now, is it?

I actually do have a "to do" list for the upcoming month. My top priorities are to add products for Valentine's Day, St. Pat's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc. I'm also going to be moving some pages from one site to another, consolidating some sections of one site, tweaking some older pages that need help (I'm afraid to look at the HTML, I made them years ago), tweaking metatags, etc. In other words, I'm going to go through my sites page by page fixing boo-boos, tweaking, fine-tuning, culling dead weight and admiring my handiwork.

I also need to clean up my office and develop a system for organizing my papers. That's busy work. I hate that kind of stuff.

Last but not least I have some money burning a hole in my pocket. I'm planning to have my kitchen remodeled. Anybody wanna help me pick out a new countertop and tiles for a backsplash?

Whee!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How do you stay productive during a post-holiday season? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Usually I don't do squat until after New Year's! It's time to sit back with a contented smile and count the money...

Then, after that, what Haiko said. Time to get the promos going for the next holidays!

This year, however, I've been doing updates and stuff like that even now. Yesterday it was -1 Faren. outside and even going full blast the furnace could only get it to 65 inside (it's supposed to be 72 in here)! Each cold wind is an icy blast of motivation!!!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

This holiday I am taking a vacation and doing my shopping, wrapping, shopping, wrapping and doing my crochet (Pot holders for the ladies in our family) and play pin ball when I am bored!

Loads of work to do, but I told my self I am having a holiday fun this year!

Have a great holiday ABW

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

ABW Ambassador
    What's Christmas?

Far better to "gear up" for increased year-round sales, than a one-month burst.

Thanks, all, for sharing your post-holiday work. Poor choice of words for "busy work" but I wanted to distinguish this work, from the holiday rush type of work that we do prior to the holidays. Looks like most of you like to prepare for the post-holiday online shoppers and gear up for future sales and events, while a few others like to kick back and relax for a bit. Thanks again for taking part in the poll, I really do appreciate it! Insightful.

Take Care,
    Michelle

http and a telephoto
    I think part of the problem is the "holiday rush" mentality. My "holiday sites" were ready in September, just updates happened after that. AM is a year round thing and even though there is a season for holiday shopping, there are other seasonal merchants also, plus stuff that sells on a level plain all year.

Me, I want year round sales, and if I get a December spike that's GREAT, but it isn't the goal. The goal is a steady income year round.

(edited to add a smilie, realized it sounded kinda b*tchy!!! Not meant that way!!!!)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Time for a break, I ordered new cabinets and am tearing up the kitchen. Money will come in while I am away

ABW Ambassador
    I usually go on vacation between Christmas and New Years, but not this year.

I can gear up for Valentines in 3 hours, so that is no big deal.

The plan is to take down some merchants, remove old content and underperforming pages, add new content.

Thanks, Jimbo2002!

ABW Ambassador
    What Haiko sauid

&gt;&gt;Gear up for 'after Christmas' promotions and then finish tweaking for valentines then on to Mother's day, then Father's day, etc, etc. ... it's a never ending cycle

Already have new pages up for Valentines, Mother's Day and Father's Day and hunting for products for lesser known holidays and occasions.

There's been no time, but some link development is sorely needed on a couple of sites so that's a January priority. The stats have been a gold mine for keywords and looking into the minds and search patterns of the customer demographic so it's lent new light on the USP to focus on.

Mainly the '05 plan is to be building out some sections on existing sites for year 'round areas that seem likely to be lucrative, and taking advantage of having found some new merchants while hunting for holiday stuff that definitely warrant building pages around - probably some new topically specific sites.

Doing a lot of planning and outlining for content development and trying to clean up this pigsty that has piled up knee high.

I'm going to look over my spring and summer sites.....change and add content so that summer commissions don't get too small.

ABW Ambassador
    You can take what you learned this Christmas and start getting ready for the next one Some merchants do good all year round, some flourish during this time of year, remember them.

Or
    Get ready for upcoming holidays, spring/summer season.

I'm emptying out my email accounts, fixing the clutter on my desktop.

Work on those loose ends, things you never got around too.

Right now i'm figuring out the EPC for each merchant for the year, and those that paid me the most per click, finding ways to send them as much traffic as possible in the upcoming year. There are a lot of factors, commission %, cookie length but IMO EPC is the ONE to look at. Who pays you the most for the traffic you send them. Then funnel as much of it as you their way.

Always something to do.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    All good advice and nice to see some affiliates putting on the actual merchants sales thinking caps. Think like a merchant concerned with conversion ratio trying to increase their average order size. All my merchants clients do just this and had a banner Christmas even if the traffic didn't increase to last years levels. My suspender company client increased gross sales from Nov. to now 300% from Y-2003 levels with only a 10% jump in unique visitor traffic.

I'm looking for other niche' merchants to put up sites for them who value high conversion ratio as their #1 priority. Learning to make more with less is the challenge in Y-2005. Niche' showcase sections on affiliate websites, once done right, will produce results all year long.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I agree, all great advice. I appreciate everyone's opinions here. Unless anyone has an objection, I'd like to point to this discussion in my blog.

Thanks again, and have a great Holiday!

Michelle

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread