There is tons of fraud in the retail business. One is return abuse. We all complain about returns on shoes and other items, but maybe it's the customer. Where does the merchant draw a line?

Here is a link: War against Retail Return Abuse to that question.

I had no idea that it was that rampant.

And who is that fu)(*$%ing Chuch Schumer trying to get involved in how a business takes merchandise back? You guys in NY write him and tell him to get out of a retailers business. Run the state not the people.

That's my poop for the day.

Poopie Nubert
    Snowman Hell
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Chuck is the only one in goverment that cares about online retail. I personally have had conversations with him about spyware and how it can be used for identity theft.

As for the returns it is a big problem here in ny, people have been buying portable dvd players and taking them to work for the day then returning them, security guards and parking valets have been the biggest offenders.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nyfalcon:
    security guards and parking valets have been the biggest offenders. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that tongue in cheek? I can't imagine where you'd have gotten statistics showing that, but would like to know the source if you have one.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Schumer plans on introducing legislation in the Senate next month that will require retailers to prominently disclose their precise return prohibition formula before customers can make purchases ~the article <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That doesn't sound bad. The stores don't want the return-fraudsters to come there anyway--might as well scare them off at the gates by posting the policy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> He held a news conference this week in front of an East Side Sports Authority store and identified them and a handful of other retailers—including Express, KayBee Toys, The Sports Authority and Guess—as essentially blacklisting customers who return a bit too much <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems Schumer disagrees with their actions. I think the disagreement is bogus--what legitimate reason would anyone have for being against the blacklisting of NONcustomers who do return fraud?

But the net result of that press should just be to scare away the unwanted jerk non-customers (people who return their stuff fraudulently do NOT qualify as customers. The person has to buy something *and keep it* to be a "customer!")--which is actually good for the stores in question. Scaring the jerks away from entering in the first place, is even better than having to kick 'em out.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

There is no stats online to back up my statement but a few weeks ago I was in a major electronics store getting prices for my new lcd monitor. The sales person was nice to me and a guy comes over and ask him a few questions about dvd players. The salesman shrugged him off which I thought was odd since the guy really looked like he wanted one. So me being curious I asked the salesman why he did that. His answer was "he was only going to bring it back in 8 hours or so" I was suprised by the anwser and he told me that since he had on a security uniform it was likely that he was a returner as is car valets since they have time on their hands while waiting to work.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nyfalcon:
    There is no stats online to back up my statement but a few weeks ago I was in a major electronics store getting prices for my new lcd monitor. The sales person was nice to me and a guy comes over and ask him a few questions about dvd players. The salesman shrugged him off which I thought was odd since the guy really looked like he wanted one. So me being curious I asked the salesman why he did that. His answer was "he was only going to bring it back in 8 hours or so" I was suprised by the anwser and he told me that since he had on a security uniform it was likely that he was a returner as is car valets since they have time on their hands while waiting to work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ah, gotcha. It just seemed like such a specific stat to me, that I was curious where it would come from!

Here's an antedote

I was at the home depot last month, a couple was in the return line with a well used leaf blower / sucker. They told the cashier they didn't like the model. The cashier gave them their money back no questions asked.

Of course it was after the leaves had fallen off the trees and were already cleaned up.

Looks to me like it was a rental.

That' makes me Poopin Mad!

http and a telephoto
    Talking to the clerks that end up taking the returns is more valuable than published stats anyday. The same with working in Customer Service and hearing the people on the phone.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Work with trusted merchants that have good references from serious affiliates! Have a great weekend, everybody!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread