Through many many threads here on this forum, I've read various affiliates talking about the success they've had once they left CJ and went to an in-house program.
    Let me apologize up front for the noobie questions, so here goes:

1) Are they talking about the same merchant having both a CJ program and an in-house program? Or a different merchant with similar product offerings?

2) Am I correct in assuming that "In-House" means that the merchant performs their own tracking as opposed to a tracking network(like CJ) or a private AM?

3) What is the best way to find out if a merchant has an in-house program? Email and ask them?

Any and all advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

1) Both
    2) Yes
    3)This thread has some ideas for finding indie programs:
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...2&m=1736088535

The trick is testing these programs out. Some are run by top notch AMs (found here at ABW) and some are newbies, too.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

I'll start with your 2nd question:
    (2) An in-house program is one where the setup, tracking, payment, affiliate support, etc are done by the merchant itself, and not outsourced to one of the networks (e.g. CJ). Now, they can still have the whole affiliate program outsourced to an affiliate manager who doesn't actually work for the company but is more of a consultant. But the merchant will be responsible for the tracking on their servers, and paying the affiliates, while the affiliate manager (an employee or an outside consultant) will deal with affiliate support and developing the program.

(3) As for how to find out if a program is in a network or in-house: you can almost always tell by the signup form. Go to the page where they recruit affiliates and look at the affiliate contract and the sign up form. If the program is in a network, the network's name will be mentioned at least once in the process, and most likely the signup form will be on a branded page at the network's site (this is the case with CJ).

(1) and finally, while i can't speak for those who posted the messages you read, i think they meant that their company was much more successful when they closed their program at CJ and continued to manage it in-house (as described above). It's the same merchant, the same affiliate program, but two ways to manage it.

I hope this makes sense.

My goals for 2004

quote:
    Originally posted by diamich:
    1) Are they talking about the same merchant having both a CJ program and an in-house program? Or a different merchant with similar product offerings?
    YES

2) Am I correct in assuming that "In-House" means that the merchant performs their own tracking as opposed to a tracking network(like CJ) or a private AM?
    YES. The Affiliate Manager shall be the same person.

3) What is the best way to find out if a merchant has an in-house program? Email and ask them?
    When they recruit you in their homepage, they usually let you sign up their in-house program (if they have one) instead of CJ. This allow them to save the commission (30%) paid to CJ. They can even give the 30% to you (instead to CJ) to make you more happy!

Two points:

1) Over the past five years, I've worked with dozens of programs that switched from one network to another, from indie to network, or from network to indie, and I've never noticed a significant difference in conversions or earnings in any of them. If the merchant is trustworthy and they don't have technical problems with their implementation, there should be very little difference.

2) Although it seems logical that they would share part of the 30% savings with their affiliates, I've found it to be pretty rare. Merchants have MANY additional costs with indie programs, which pretty much offsets the savings--check writing, development expenses, support time, time spent recruiting, etc.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Tools that block out CJ cookies are coming out only recently.

Even 5 years ago, pop-ups blocker are not common.

Wouldn't you also in that case look for merchants on CJ or other networks that batch transactions and report them to CJ?

Thank you all for the advise. Sometimes an answer spawns another question.

One of the main reasons I decided to go with affiliate networks such as CJ, BF, LS, etc. was due to the convenience of having centralized areas from which to check stats and obtain links for numerous merchants. If I move to more and more in-house programs, I envision that my already chaotic recordkeeping might become an unmangeable nightmare.

Can anyone advise on any software or scripts that would simplify my ability to track not only monetary transactions but also traffic stats? Sure I suppose I could devise something with an Access database, but I'd rather not spend valuable marketing time developing a recordkeeping solution if there's one I could buy or download.

AffTrack.com is great for consolidated reporting. They have a lower-cost option (RevTrends.com), too.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread