Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    I was wondering is there a new kind of ads-blocker on town that block out the qksrv cookie?

I have been with CJ for over a year and I have not seen sales as bad as this! The visitors in my site is the highest among all time and so did the clicks recorded in the CJ account. However, sales go down at least 60%. (I have 5 green bars)

Other in-house program are not affected. So which notorious ads-blocker, or PARASITE this time?

ABW Ambassador
    Sales really low here too.

Is there a new parasite we don't know of?

How do we see which merchants are signed up with whenu?

Parasites are thieves. What are you going to do about it?

This seems to be a common theme right across this forum, who, after all, are highly representative of CJ affiliates; it cannot possibly be a coincidence. I only hope that CJ address this issue as matter of considerable urgency.

From CJ's point of view, their paying customers, the merchants/adverisers, are still getting the referrals and therefore the sales, for which CJ are still being paid in full.

I can say that with absolute certainty, that anti-scumware/parasiteware/spyware software most definitely does, beyond any doubts whatsoever, delete all CJ tracking cookies on a PC. I know this to be true, because have tested this thoroughly myself as recently as a couple of days ago. I have heard that the very commonly used Norton, which is free with many new PC's, also deletes all CJ tracking cookies.

Two products I have tested are Ad-Aware, and SpyBot-SD, both of which delete CJ tracking cookies, and both of which are very popular. There is the option to not delete a particular cookie, but with often hundreds of risks listed, the user simply clicks zap everything; after all, why would a user leave a tracking cookie on the system for the benefit of an affiliate, even assuming they know what it is?

My best guess is that this is what is happening.

The use of this software for privacy purposes is becoming extremly common, and unless CJ approach the manufacturers of these products directly, in order to arrange the exclusion of the deletion of CJ tracking cookies, there will be big very problems ahead for all concerned.

I hope that CJ take this very seriously indeed. This is not speculation, it is happening today!

Regards.

[This message was edited by apc on January 13, 2004 at 05:00 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Todd, or anyone there from cj.

Please do something to protect our commissions.

Maybe contact these spyware companies directly and work out something.

Parasites are thieves. What are you going to do about it?

quote:
    unless CJ approach the manufacturers of these products directly, in order to arrange the exclusion of the deletion of CJ tracking cookies, there will be big very problems ahead for all concerned.

I hope that CJ take this very seriously indeed. This is not speculation, it is happening today!

CJ did this long ago. It appears that these assorted companies, which have tagged CJ as spyware, have told CJ to take a hike.

In otherwords, they intend to continue to remove CJ cookies and there is nothing CJ can do about it. This is a loss you must endure if you use CJ merchants.

This is another reason why CJ merchants are so far down on my "to do" list that they are unreachable.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

I think it is the Anti-Virus (esp Norton) that run all time time at the background block most of the cookies!

perhaps we as affiliates should let these companies know that this (for some of us) is our livelyhood and only source of income.

Perhaps even some sort of organzed petition is in order. We're also the people buying the new computers, and installing their software, after all.

I understand that it's Norton AntiVirus 2004 and some of the other Norton/Symantec products that are ad blocking.

Yes, my CJ sales are way down, but everything else is up. The situation is so bad that I've largelyt stopped putting up new CJ links.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    Could be lots of reasons sales are down:

Christmas is over.

"I can say that with absolute certainty, that anti-scumware/parasiteware/spyware software most definitely does, beyond any doubts whatsoever, delete all CJ tracking cookies"

Those things delete ALL affiliate cookies not just CJ's.

Parasites just don't affect CJ merchants, they affect ALL networks, even affect your non parasitic merchants. Case in point. You can have a whole site with the parasite free 1800Contacts and VisisonDirect can use WhenU to pop on them. So all merchants can get popped on, parasite and non-parasite.

Not seeing any problems on my end. Maybe just chalk it up to "that's just the type of business" we're in. Every month some will remain steady, some will drop, some will gain. I have some CJ days where the money is flowing and some days nothing. That's just affiliate marketing.

Could be more competition.

Could be the recent SE flux.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on January 13, 2004 at 07:09 AM.]

Yeah and it could be Googles attack on affiliate web sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Buy some Googe Boxer Shorts like i wear and all is good

I work in lounge pants

quote:
    Originally posted by El Jefe:
    Yeah and it could be Googles attack on affiliate web sites.

Have you any evidence of that?

How does Google know what an affiliate site looks like anyway, apart from the tracking link?

quote:
    Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    Buy some https://www.googlestore.com/cgi-bin/...re/GO0033.html like i wear and all is good

I work in lounge pants

So where do you prefer your 'I'm Feeling Lucky' button at?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL..."How does Google know what an affiliate site looks like anyway, apart from the tracking link?"

Google's PHD programers know very well about all affiliate tracking links in their SERPs. They were hoping affiliate cleaned up their acts before flushing. Now the advertising mindset of the networks, like CJ, requires they datamine for profit with web bugs and clickstream tools putting them on the spyware hitlist. Add in the bad PR for hosting and monitizing the Popup BHO Ad Whores and they get no respect from the anti-spyware/adware crowd.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on January 13, 2004 at 09:11 AM.]

I've also seen the CJ drop but I can't place the blame on Norton alone. My stats show only about 4.5% of my visitors using Norton.

I display links from all major networks and lots of indies, too. CJ sales are the only ones that have significantly dropped off. It almost seems that the CJ sales are approaching the level of BeFree sales. Could there be a connection? I don't know. But I do know that I'll be concentrating my efforts on the programs that convert and pushing CJ merchants to the bottom of my to-do list.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

quote:
    perhaps we as affiliates should let these companies know that this (for some of us) is our livelyhood and only source of income.

Uh, you don't get it. They don't like us. If we are pushed out of business, they would think that is a GOOD thing.

We KNOW we are providing a useful service but others see our commissions as just adding to the end price of products. They think if we are gone, everyone will just automatically be able to find the merchant sites and buy those nifty products cheaper.

Some people will even use us to find what they want and then type the merchant link in their browser hoping that we won't get paid. That is one reason why cookies are important.

quote:
    I've also seen the CJ drop but I can't place the blame on Norton alone

You take a little Norton. You take a little Whenu. You take a little tracking problems. You take a little getting merchants to sign up with parasites. Mix in a pinch of strange reversals by the merchants who don't have to be accountable. It all adds up to a lot of CJ affiliate losses.

It isn't as easy as being able to point to one thing and say, "Oh, if we could fix that, all would be well with CJ." It is the whole anti-affiliate stance CJ has taken. They have made a myriad of changes and decisions that mean CJ affiliates make less, CJ makes more.

CJ would love it if they could only figure out some way to get merchants to pay for our traffic and not have to deal with or pay affiliates at all. In fact, think that is the CJ end goal. They just can't figure out how to get us to make all those sites for free, yet.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

[This message was edited by SSanf on January 13, 2004 at 09:55 AM.]

I made more money with CJ in 2003 than the previous year, but proportionately, that growth did not keep up with other programs.

I think SSanf is right in pointing out that one particular thing is likely not the cause. It's cumulative. You lose some to Norton users. You lose some to tracking, you lose some to the parasites, which we know CJ is actively promoting to merchants, a very anti-affiliate tactic, in my opinion.

This promotion comes at a cost to all the other non-parasitic affiliates, because it's money straight from our pockets.

Seeing a drop in sales shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, look at where the industry leaders are headed. At the very least unethical business practices are being promoted, which will likely prove to be illegal in the future. It really is horrendous that this cr@p is force fed to us. Yes, we ultimately choose who to partner with, but if the most popular firewalls block ads from an entire network, that affects a lot of people, regardless of how selective publishers are.

I don't see any forward movement on CJ's part to rememdy any of this, if they are indeed doing something behind the scenes, it is at a horrendous PR cost to them. They need to get moving and get a few of these important issues resolved. And they need to do it quickly!

Andy

When I start my affiliate marketing in 2002, I prefer to stick with networks such as CJ because they in charge on tracking and paying. This way, my hard-earned money would be safer. I have never tought that the parasites attack or ads-blocker would be an issue today.

I am consider lucky because I have good relationship with my merchants and now I have few of the largest CJ merchant moved to the in-house program. Not only I am safer from the parasites and ads-blocker but I could have what used to be paid to CJ pay to me!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by SSanf:
    CJ did this long ago. It appears that these assorted companies, which have tagged CJ as spyware, have told CJ to take a hike.

In otherwords, they intend to continue to remove CJ cookies and there is nothing CJ can do about it. This is a loss you must endure if you use CJ merchants.

This is another reason why CJ merchants are so far down on my "to do" list that they are unreachable.

__Mr.Merchant,_ if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!_
    __Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=...76006894&p=1__ Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.
    I hope TV manufacturers can take a hint from this and come up with a TV set that blocks ads.

Blocking pop-ups is one thing, since most people really find it annoying. But blocking ads, which pays for the free content, is anti-consumer.

I wonder if LS has a hand in this since CJ is the one most affected.

I think Trust hit the nail on the head here...

quote:
    Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    Christmas is over.

I'm seeing a 40% drop from December levels across virtually ALL networks. But that's still UP ABOUT 60% from November.

I think some people (myself included, perhaps) are spending too much time here and checking their stats, and not enough time building new sites and pages and/or developing new relationships.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Christmas sales aside, somebody else has mentioned in this forum that Norton does indeed block qksrv.

If we are going to be complacent about this, this could be a looming disaster for all of us.

Michael and TrustNo1,

Thank you again for your rational posts.

I agree with you both.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    Todd

can't really solve a problem by throwing it out the window.

if the ad-blocking feature becomes an industry-standard, the only rational you can get from that is that we slept through the whole thing.

whole industries, and companies, can come and go because of lack of foresight. those that plan ahead survives. so, which one would you like to be in?

[This message was edited by waytogo on January 13, 2004 at 12:45 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    If sales are down 60%, your best bet is to drop underperforming merchants rather than trying to figure out what the culprit is.

Eventually CJ / Valueclick, their advertisers, and shareholders will come to the realization that the parasites were good for a quick buck but not a good long-term strategy.

I don't know what's happening, but if things don't change soon, this will be my worst month in a year.

I'm worried

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast